| FTBL Back up qb

Why did we not see another qb tonight?Iam not bashin JPW at all i really like him,but he looked hurt at the end of the game.tubby pulled cox then looked how cox returned to the game.I think CNS will get it right,but we have more talent then what i seen tonight.ROLL TIDE ROLL

Anyone who asks this question, I have to ask if they were one of the 92,000 at the A-day game? In my opinion, JPW looked a good bit better than McElroy in that game. For that reason, it’s hard for me to say I’d like to see anyone other than JPW in the game. :?

What bothers me is all these people who are demanding JPW be benched in favor of McElroy don't seem to realize that these guys don't just play football on Saturdays. Yes JPW looked bad today and yes I was furious with him but our coaching staff sees these guys in practice every day. Everyone wants the staff to give McElroy just one chance to see what he can do but in all reality our staff knows what he can do. They know what JPW can do. JPW is playing for a reason. I'm looking for us to get up big on Houston in the first half and playing McElroy in the second just so these JPW bashers will shut up about giving McElroy a chance. I hope he does great but then again, that will just add more fuel to the fire.

KingKat said:
What bothers me is all these people who are demanding JPW be benched in favor of McElroy don't seem to realize that these guys don't just play football on Saturdays. Yes JPW looked bad today and yes I was furious with him but our coaching staff sees these guys in practice every day. Everyone wants the staff to give McElroy just one chance to see what he can do but in all reality our staff knows what he can do. They know what JPW can do. JPW is playing for a reason. I'm looking for us to get up big on Houston in the first half and playing McElroy in the second just so these JPW bashers will shut up about giving McElroy a chance. I hope he does great but then again, that will just add more fuel to the fire.

On the money KK.

I don't like the idea of swapping back and forth. Tubby to me shows no confidence in either of his QBs. Cox did step it up, but is has to be frustrating playing, knowing that the first mistake you make, you might be benched the next series.

However, I was very impressed with AU tonight. They looked great against UF.

Yeah, that loss to USF must stick in their crawl after being able to beat the real Florida away and lose to USF at home? Is it possible that USF is better than the Gators this year? Time will tell as the season wears on. It will be interesting to find out if Jim Leavitt is just a better coach than Urban Meyers because, from what I can tell, UF has been cleaning house recruiting for the last two years. It's hard for me to believe that USF has better talent. Not to mention, Florida didn't have to contend with Quentin Groves in most of the second half. The guy that replaced Groves was pretty damn good too!

With regard to JPW and after listening to Saban's post game presser, I think everyone should back off and let the coaches that make the BIG bucks figure out if it was him or his teammates. Saban was obviously not happy with the performance of JPW but he, as the game went along, didn't see it as just his problem and wants to watch film to re-evaluate. I think Saban does not play to favorites and is starting our best 11, as he sees it, on both sides of the ball. If he didn't want JPW there, he wouldn't be there. JPW has to earn that with Saban.

(Yes, I have chilled out since right after the game. Watching 7 out of the top 13 lose games this weekend, for some reason, made me feel better! )

While I like what I've seen out of McEllroy, and I believe that when his time comes he will be a great QB, I have to side with most of the guys on this site when it comes to JPW. I believe that Coach Saban is going to put the players on the field that he feels will give us the best chance to win. If he feels that JPW is the best QB I can't bring myself to doubt him. I think a lot of the mistakes we see out of the QB, have to do with him over-thinking and trying to be too careful. For some reason he seems to have lost the ability to trust his own instincts. He seems to have lost the ability to get creative. Last year, he was inexperienced enough not to know better than to take chances. That combined with the fact that we were often in positions that left us with no choice but to just go out an sling it, led to a lot of his records. I think this year he may be putting so much on himself that he's playing a little too safe at times. For some reason, when I watch him play this year, I'm reminded of something I've heard Coach Spurrier tell his QBs in the past,"Just go play." If JPW can ever loosen up enough to do that, there's gonna be some lights out performances from him. I look for it to happen each week, and I'll continue to look for it until it happens. It's just a matter of time....

First of all I believe JPW is the right qb at the moment and I agree that these guys need to just play the game and not worry about screwing up. JP needs to think of these games as though it was a practice week, because I am sure he is more relaxed and not worried about turning the ball over or making bad decisions. I mean on mid to long passes JP tends to throw the ball where our receivers have to make great adjustments just to have a chance of catching it. So right now I think it's our receivers keeping JP in the game. Some pump-faking or look-offs are sometimes all you need to get separation from the defenders. Too many times I've seen JP take the snap and only look directly at the receiver the play was intended for, and it becomes easy picking for defensive backs to make a play. JP has enough talent to keep the offense on the field longer, he just needs to make some fundamental adjustments and regain some confidence.

ROLL TIDE!!!

KingKat said:

Yea, but JPW was completing passes of more than 2 yards in the spring game. He is not the same now. he had a good game that day but hasn't done much the last 2 games. Let's face it, DJ has made him look good on a number of occasions to keep the last 2 games from being total shutouts. When you get 2 first downs in 3 quarters, what will it hurt to try another QB?

I've been around a good while, and I remember that Coach Bryant's philosophy was always to have two quarterbacks ready to play, because he never wanted a key injury to put an untested player on the field. He really played two guys as well. I know that is contrary to current coaching philosophy at most places, but as a layman having two guys ready to go makes good sense.

I struggle with this controversy.

You look at what JPW does when the chips are down and you know he can bring you back.

But then you look at what he does during the course of the game and you think you gotta get someone else in...someone that can ignite a spark like Lee did for FSU. Someone that can do something!

I haven't seen this brought up yet, but maybe I've just missed it. When we were down on our 7 or so and the score was 7-7 JPW lost the ball. Remember? :? He acted like he had no clue that their defender was coming. He had no awareness of the defender and didn't have control of the ball.

Now, I was in the stadium in the other end zone. I knew exactly what was coming. So did 85,000 other people. As a QB down inside your own 10 you have to know a couple of things...#1 they're going to bring the heat and #2 they're going to go after the ball. He acted unaware of both.

You guys, he's a junior QB with a season under his belt and has played in some of the toughest venues in the SEC. And he didn't practice simple ball control skills???? Ummmm, I don't know what to say.

I know the line didn't block the guy out. I'm simply talking about HIS decisions as a QB right now. :?

BamaDelta said:
I struggle with this controversy.

You look at what JPW does when the chips are down and you know he can bring you back.

But then you look at what he does during the course of the game and you think you gotta get someone else in...someone that can ignite a spark like Lee did for FSU. Someone that can do something!

I haven't seen this brought up yet, but maybe I've just missed it. When we were down on our 7 or so and the score was 7-7 JPW lost the ball. Remember? :? He acted like he had no clue that their defender was coming. He had no awareness of the defender and didn't have control of the ball.

Now, I was in the stadium in the other end zone. I knew exactly what was coming. So did 85,000 other people. As a QB down inside your own 10 you have to know a couple of things...#1 they're going to bring the heat and #2 they're going to go after the ball. He acted unaware of both.

You guys, he's a junior QB with a season under his belt and has played in some of the toughest venues in the SEC. And he didn't practice simple ball control skills???? Ummmm, I don't know what to say.

I know the line didn't block the guy out. I'm simply talking about HIS decisions as a QB right now. :?
I feel your pain. Like you said, his receivers are making him look good on alot of these passes. He's just putting way too much air under the ball along with waiting too long to throw. Hall seems to be blowing past his man on many passes but by the time the ball gets there, the DB has recovered. If you remember the Texas Tech game 2 yrs ago our D did the same thing to their QB. He kept lofting the ball up and letting us just swat it away from their receivers. JPW just needs to get it back on track.

I say we give our final judgement on JP this weekend. He basically needs to just settle down and have a good week in practice. IMO he can get the job done, lets just hope he does so soon. :)

Folks, It might take a full season for JPW to get over being "back-sided shy" from that swinging gate protection the OL provided last year.

Heck, JPW was probably having flashbacks on the play that produced the fumble on Saturday. Him and Brodie have taken their fair share of abuse from opposing defenses these last few years. But things look to be improving, so hopefully he will get more comfortable.

I bet its pretty hard reading and hitting secondary receivers when you are running for your life or having to throw off your back foot.

I second that about not making reads. I just watched the first 3 quarters at lunch (fast forwarding between plays on my DVR) and noticed that there were guys open that were not getting seen. Not just Oakly in the 4th, which I remember from being there. There were numerous times when the guys that were open were never even checked by JPW. Five 3 and outs in the first half and 80 total yards of offense including spicial teams returns, (0) is unacceptable.

BTW, I thought the play of the game was the 3rd and short 2 at their 32 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd Q when we were moving the ball and out TE false started. We then got sacked on the 3rd and long and punted into the endzone. We actually had momentum until that false start, then it was lost.

JPW set the single season passing & TD record for 'Bama last year...I just thought I'd remind some of you.

Look, I agree he doesn't look sharp & he has left some completions on the table. Period. He has also had three major fumbles that resulted in points in his career (AU '07 & FSU). All issues that must be dealt w/ in order to have a chance to win some very difficult games ahead.

However, he is a proven QB. McElroy isn't. & How many of you are making practices to see what each are doing?

Finally, CNS knows more about FB than all of us combined... I feel way more secure with his assesments than ours :)

I think JPW is just trying too hard. It reminds me of Darby, boy was he somethng special and one of the most feared RB's in the nation until his senior year where he just seemed to try too hard making him worse than ever.

Back
Top Bottom