| FTBL Auburn's explosive spread?

aMAZEnFan

Verified Member
WOW, they are in trouble!!!

I will do a quarter by quarter breakdown of what I saw in their game against La-Monroe.

They rotated QBs every possession and went 3 and out to end all drives. This offense didn't look too imposing in the 1st Quarter against La-Monroe with only 61 yards of offense total. As a matter of fact they didn't even get into scoring position and had to punt 3 times.

Auburn's defense was good at getting pressure on the QB and forced a fumble that was scooped up for Auburn's first TD. 7-0 AU

La-Monroe was able to move the ball pretty well before drives stalled. And even though ULM missed their FG, they were the closest to scoring on offense in the entire quarter.

AU snapped a 12-year drought in returns for a TD, when Dunn took it to the house to close the 1st Quarter. So, defense and special teams was responsible for AU's only score. 14-0 AU

In the 2nd Quarter, AU played sound Defense and when they got the ball back, they went to the run game with Ben Tate. But ULM blitzed on AU's first possession to force a punt, which was a bomb that pinned ULM deep.

ULM had a golden opportunity on a deep ball off of play action where the receiver dropped a TD after he beat the coverage. Then their playcalling was just plain dumb.

AU had a near mistake after there was a fumble on the snap and on that same play, they nearly threw an interception that was dropped by a ULM defender.

Both teams traded punts, so AU had to punt 6 times in the FIRST HALF!!! WOW!

On a drive with Burns at QB, the AU offense had a laughable moment when they had a receiver take off down field before the snap. Of course, it was blown dead for the blatant false start.

Neither team could muster much of anything until AU got a 51-yard run to the edge by Tate. AU finally got into scoring position for the FIRST time at 27 minutes into the game. It took that long!!! WOW!!!

Later Burns threw up a prayer that was caught by Smith, but his toe was on the back line of the end zone. Tough luck!

AU finally got on the board with a FG with 1:16 left in the FIRST half, lol!!!

So, the offense didn't score a TD in the first half at all with this great 'Spread Eagle'!!! 3 points? WOW!!!

17-0 AU at the half.

One interesting to note is that Tony Franklin was on the sideline and not upstairs in a booth.

Another funny moment was when ole Ears was seen rubbing his forehead as to say, "What have I gotten myself into?"

In the 3rd Quarter, ULM fumbled the opening kickoff giving AU great field position.

Mario Fannin came in for the first time on offense and picked up a huge gain. Then on a couple of runs by Lester, AU finally got an offensive TD!!!

WOW, it took more than 31 minutes to get their first offensive TD against ULM? I know what they did to Bama last year, but this is the great Spread Eagle.

After AU forced another ULM punt, they moved the ball effectively with Burns' running athleticism, but he came up gimpy on a hard hit to his knee and had to come out and go to the locker room at the 9:05 mark in the 3rd.

AU missed a FG. When AU got the ball back, they committed their 6th penalty, all on offense.

ULM dropped another interception!!!AU had to punt for the 7th time.

When AU got the ball back, they finally had a good drive by running the ball with a combination of Tate and Smith running the ball. However, this drive stalled on the goaline and they were forced to kick a FG. 27-0 AU

I couldn't watch anymore after that. The game was just too boring!!! ULM's receivers couldn't catch a cold.

If you haven't seen the stats, AU got another TD on a 3-yard pass by Todd. 34-0 AU

AU's offensive line had a ton of penalties-6 in all.

It appears Todd will get the nod at starting QB by default if Burns isn't healthy, b/c he didn't return.

If I was Ears, I would worry b/c this great Eagle Spread put up the following, unimpressive stats:

-19 First Downs (16 from running)
-73 total plays for 5.6 ypp
-85 yards passing to only 6 receivers (3 of those RBs)
(Todd's stats: 9 of 18, 70 yards, 50%, 3.9 y/a, 1 TD, 1 INT, sacked once/Burns' stats: 4 of 9, 15 yards,44%, 1.7 y/a, 0 TD)
-321 yards rushing on 46 rushes
-5 of 15 on 3rd down conversions
-Punted 7 times

They look the same to me!!! RTR!!!

bear facts said:
Thanks for the breakdown.

All that really counts though is Auburn beat ULM; Bama didn't. :(

Yes sir, and it's the first game, by the time we play them all the kinks should be worked out.

wow, that is very uh?... so to 2007!!! :lol:

well im sure it will get a little better (i guess), but they have had all offseason to prepare for this. i was thinking, (as i'm sure most everyone) they were going to have a field day on offense. oh well

bamafan said:

well im sure it will get a little better (i guess), but they have had all offseason to prepare for this. i was thinking, (as i'm sure most everyone) they were going to have a field day on offense. oh well

Exactly!!!

I think they will be exposed by the SEC!!! Defenses are too fast for this kind of offense!!!

They did look more smash-mouth than explosive, fast-paced with no huddles and all!!!

aMAZEnFan said:
bamafan said:

Exactly!!!

I think they will be exposed by the SEC!!! Defenses are too fast for this kind of offense!!!

They did look more smash-mouth than explosive, fast-paced with no huddles and all!!!

Well see you might want to check your hat size. I think just went up a few inchs lol :lol:

Optimus said:
aMAZEnFan said:
bamafan said:

Exactly!!!

Well see you might want to check your hat size. I think just went up a few inchs lol :lol:

Just stating facts!!! I said this before the season started!!!

aMAZEnFan said:
Optimus said:
aMAZEnFan said:
bamafan said:

Exactly!!!

Just stating facts!!! I said this before the season started!!!

Sweet it's good to see that, but I'm a realist person. I'd like to see us get the next game out of the way, and work our way through the others. When we play barn it will be the Iron bowl. I do however, hope we start a new streak!

I put very little weight in what I've reviewed of that game.

Granted, Franklin wasn't happy with their passing game.

But, when you can run the ball for 321 yards in a ball game and the defense can't stop you is that sufficient reason to worry about a passing game that didn't get on track? I don't think so.

13-27, 85 yards and a TD for a passing game isn't spectacular. Neither is 14 of your 34 points coming from defense and special teams.

All that said, all along I've been saying they are looking at a .500 SEC record. Part of what you have pointed to here Maze are some of the reasons why...

TerryP said:
I put very little weight in what I've reviewed of that game.

Granted, Franklin wasn't happy with their passing game.

But, when you can run the ball for 321 yards in a ball game and the defense can't stop you is that sufficient reason to worry about a passing game that didn't get on track? I don't think so.

13-27, 85 yards and a TD for a passing game isn't spectacular. Neither is 14 of your 34 points coming from defense and special teams.

All that said, all along I've been saying they are looking at a .500 SEC record. Part of what you have pointed to here Maze are some of the reasons why...

Exactly, TP!!!

They will win a few games with the running game, but if they have to pass, they are in trouble!!!

milliondollarfan19 said:
RollTideRandy said:
aMAZEnFan said:
I think they will be exposed by the SEC!!!

I won't be shocked if they are "exposed" by Southern Miss this week.

HAHA well ill be at that game (my dads bday gift... 50 yard line row 1 :roll: ) i kinda hope they get beat so hell shut up saying that they can win with running the ball and not having a great passing game...

Does Auburn think they are Navy or Army?

bear facts said:
Thanks for the breakdown.

All that really counts though is Auburn beat ULM; Bama didn't. :(

I don't think that really matters at all. That was last year this is this year. Great breakdown of the game. I'm very unimpressed with their offense but I'm not going to start celebrating their crash and burns yet :)

aMAZEnFan said:
Without an athletic QB like Burns, I don't see that spread working!!!

Burns' leg was cut open--he wasn't hurt per se. With the game in hand Franklin and CTT decided to give Todd some PT (thank God he is not the starter!)

Looking back over Franklin's career, the first game of the season is historically weak--that said, we didn't even look like we had practiced at some point during the game. AU has a stable of very solid running backs. We have two weeks to kick this in gear before LSU comes calling.

Duder said:
aMAZEnFan said:
Without an athletic QB like Burns, I don't see that spread working!!!

Burns' leg was cut open--he wasn't hurt per se. With the game in hand Franklin and CTT decided to give Todd some PT (thank God he is not the starter!)

Looking back over Franklin's career, the first game of the season is historically weak--that said, we didn't even look like we had practiced at some point during the game. AU has a stable of very solid running backs. We have two weeks to kick this in gear before LSU comes calling.

Actually, you have less than a week!!!

Southern Miss is no push over!!!

Well, supposedly the biggest improvements a team makes is between week 1 and week 2. Next week should at least give us a better idea of how their offense is really going to look.

Back
Top Bottom