| FTBL Around the SEC: Bowl Tie-Ins; Who, where?

TerryP said:
flying Elephant said:
Paradox said:
Hightideiscoming said:
Do you all think that those in charge of making the decisions for bowls factor in that even with a bad record, an Alabama bowl team can still bring a large crowd with them?
I would think so. The bottom line is, bowls need to profit, and a guaranteed sellout would be the easiest way to ensure that.

We could probably use the money as well. When I was on the track team and we didn't get to a bowl game we had to ride the bus and the number of shoes we got for the season were also cut down.
RTR

What year was that?

I'm guessing, by your age being 30, you were in school from '95-'99? At that point, bowl revenues were split between all the SEC teams. I don't see it being related.

If we were on probation, our athletics only got half the normal allotment from the SEC... that MAY explain it.

In an effort to contradict myself from earlier, I must now report that the word I'm getting is that the Liberty Bowl is showing much more interest in Alabama than any other bowl.

Bryant34 said:
TerryP said:
flying Elephant said:
Paradox said:
Hightideiscoming said:
Do you all think that those in charge of making the decisions for bowls factor in that even with a bad record, an Alabama bowl team can still bring a large crowd with them?
I would think so. The bottom line is, bowls need to profit, and a guaranteed sellout would be the easiest way to ensure that.

We could probably use the money as well. When I was on the track team and we didn't get to a bowl game we had to ride the bus and the number of shoes we got for the season were also cut down.
RTR

What year was that?

I'm guessing, by your age being 30, you were in school from '95-'99? At that point, bowl revenues were split between all the SEC teams. I don't see it being related.

If we were on probation, our athletics only got half the normal allotment from the SEC... that MAY explain it.

That was the case when we had a bowl ban. It isn't the case with normal probation.

252BAMA said:
Word here in Orlando is that the Citrus Bowl is absoutely salivating over a Florida-Illinois match up. You can book/bank that one.

Anybody know exactly what the deal with the Rose Bowl is? I’ve heard one reporter say that if OK beats Missouri and Ohio State plays for the NC, then the Rose Bowl would have to take the #2 team in the Big 11, Illinois. I heard another reporter say that if Ohio State is not in the Rose Bowl, then they can take an at large team and they would probably match-up USC and UGA. So which is it?

252BAMA said:
Word here in Orlando is that the Citrus Bowl is absoutely salivating over a Florida-Illinois match up. You can book/bank that one.

Do you mean maybe the Outback? We don't have an agreement in place with the Citrus Bowl and having a school like Florida going to a bowl without an affiliation with the SEC ain't going to happen.

RollTideRandy said:
252BAMA said:

Anybody know exactly what the deal with the Rose Bowl is? I’ve heard one reporter say that if OK beats Missouri and Ohio State plays for the NC, then the Rose Bowl would have to take the #2 team in the Big 11, Illinois. I heard another reporter say that if Ohio State is not in the Rose Bowl, then they can take an at large team and they would probably match-up USC and UGA. So which is it?

The way I understand it they would have to take Illinois. Tradition in itself with a Big 10 team taking on a Pac 10 team surely has a lot of logic behind it.

Re: Bowl?

TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:
bamascw said:
Well, what does everyone think? Do we get left out or do we go, and if we go, where do we end up? We have the same record as South Carolina, and one win less than Kentucky, but we have a better SEC record than both, so I say we go. Looks like Music City, Liberty or Independance I guess. I'm kinda hoping for Liberty since I live in Memphis, but Music City would be an easy drive also. :lol:

Terry's post clears it up as good as it can be, but in a nut shell, UK, by rule, will be picked ahead of us. It will come down to us and USC for the final SEC bowl slot (the Indy Bowl). If something really strange happened, maybe we could end up in the Liberty, but my money is on Shreveport.

IF, perchance, we get invited to the Liberty Bowl I suspect we'll see a lot of MSU fans upset about the selection. In some ways, rightfully so.

There isn't a big difference in the payouts. Based on '06 numbers the Liberty Bowl paid the teams 300K more than the Independence Bowl.

Having lived in Mphs. and been to Shreveport I would rather have the bowl game in the Liberty. If you take you time and look, there is a hell of a lot you can do in Mphs.

FWIW, all of this will be answered by Sunday Afternoon. However, we should be early word at the end of this week.

Terry, am I wrong but I don't think the payout "matters"... I think all of the bowl money gets pooled with the rest of the SEC's bowl money, then distributed at the annual meeting.

Re: Bowl Game?

Josh Holderfield said:
What bowl will we get in if any?

Liberty, Indy, or Music City. Word earlier this week was that the Liberty wanted us the most. We will find out soon though. It comes down to us and South Carolina for the final spot.

Porterhouse said:
Josh Holderfield said:

Liberty, Indy, or Music City. Word earlier this week was that the Liberty wanted us the most. We will find out soon though. It comes down to us and South Carolina for the final spot.

when will they announce them?

Birdman37 said:
Porterhouse said:
Josh Holderfield said:

The BCS will announce its bowl matchups during its Bowl Selection Show tomorrow night. The other Bowls will officially announce their matchups after that. Word will start leaking out tomorrow on a lot of the bowls though, possibly even the BAMA's if we are selected for one.

Porterhouse said:
Birdman37 said:
Porterhouse said:
Josh Holderfield said:

The BCS will announce its bowl matchups during its Bowl Selection Show tomorrow night. The other Bowls will officially announce their matchups after that. Word will start leaking out tomorrow on a lot of the bowls though, possibly even the BAMA's if we are selected for one.

The invitations have already started going out. I've just signed on and found myself lost thinking about the BCS...

Anyway, if it is the Liberty, which like you've said seems to be the leader in the clubhouse, it'll be against Central Florida who won the CUSA championship.

It's ironic, with all the criticisms voiced about Bama wanting another Bryant, Bryant's era being passed...you know the drill...that it very well could be the Liberty because of Bryant.

TerryP said:
Porterhouse said:
Birdman37 said:
Porterhouse said:
Josh Holderfield said:

The invitations have already started going out. I've just signed on and found myself lost thinking about the BCS...

Anyway, if it is the Liberty, which like you've said seems to be the leader in the clubhouse, it'll be against Central Florida who won the CUSA championship.

It's ironic, with all the criticisms voiced about Bama wanting another Bryant, Bryant's era being passed...you know the drill...that it very well could be the Liberty because of Bryant.

You know that could be. Knowing that the Liberty was Coach Bryant first and last bowl game with Bama. And then we will hear all the yahoo taking about us and USC.

Back
Top Bottom