| FTBL Apparel with Classic Logo

laurajmoss

Verified Member
Does anyone know where I can purchase Crimson Tide apparel that uses the classic logo (a large capital "A" with an elephant stepping through it), instead of the new-fangled ones (angry elephant face or italic capital "A")?

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I can't stand the look of the newer apparel. The italic "A" is a rip-off of the Atlanta Braves, IMHO, and we're the Tide, not the Braves. The contemporary rendition of the Crimson Tide elephant excites me even less--the eyes are drawn in such a way the are too human for me (a habit that irritates me in many animal mascot comic-book style renderings).

I also miss the simple white-and-crimson jerseys but none of my local stores seems to carry them either.

hasnt that 'italic' A been around for longer than the logo ur talking about? and didnt Bama start it before Atlanta? how is Alabama's white jerseys different now? other than the A on the collar and the SEC logo?

anyway, your best bet is ebay. ive seen a few t-shirts at hibbett sports around here still carry them tho.

lol sorry to come at u like this but i have a friend who is a Braves fan and he always comes at me with this whole Alabama ripped off the Braves thing with 'A' all the time....

Alabama has had the script A logo since '62. Braves didnt even move to Atlanta till '67 and didnt start using the script 'A' until '87 so if anybody is ripping anybody off its the Braves. dont believe me?

Alabama logo history
http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=597

Atlanta Braves logo history
http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=51

sorry, i just cant stand it when ppl claim that Bama ripped off the Braves with the logo design.

Birdman37 said:
lol sorry to come at u like this but i have a friend who is a Braves fan and he always comes at me with this whole Alabama ripped off the Braves thing with 'A' all the time....

Alabama has had the script A logo since '62. Braves didnt even move to Atlanta till '67 and didnt start using the script 'A' until '87 so if anybody is ripping anybody off its the Braves. dont believe me?

Alabama logo history

sorry, i just cant stand it when ppl claim that Bama ripped off the Braves with the logo design.

pwned ;red

I don't recognize Sports Logos or know how credible a source they are. They could be historically accurate, but be that as it may, I grew up in Huntsville in a "Bama Family" in the 70's & 80's and never once saw the script "A" logo. My dad and brothers wore Bama apparel, I watched games on t.v. with them etc. The only logo I remember is the Times Roman cap with the elephant stepping through. Everybody views the world through a unique set of filters and it just so happens that mine equate meaning to Bama football symbols/colors/etc. that were common during those decades and thus make up the body of my childhood memories. During the 90's I lived abroad, so any revival of a logo instituted before I was born simply don't hold any nostalgia for me.

Bottom line: when it comes to personal biases, historical fact counts for little, real experience counts for everything. I want the 70's/80's logo in exchange for my money. =)

laurajmoss said:
I don't recognize Sports Logos or know how credible a source they are. They could be historically accurate, but be that as it may, I grew up in Huntsville in a "Bama Family" in the 70's & 80's and never once saw the script "A" logo. My dad and brothers wore Bama apparel, I watched games on t.v. with them etc. The only logo I remember is the Times Roman cap with the elephant stepping through. Everybody views the world through a unique set of filters and it just so happens that mine equate meaning to Bama football symbols/colors/etc. that were common during those decades and thus make up the body of my childhood memories. During the 90's I lived abroad, so any revival of a logo instituted before I was born simply don't hold any nostalgia for me.

Bottom line: when it comes to personal biases, historical fact counts for little, real experience counts for everything. I want the 70's/80's logo in exchange for my money. =)

Are you recently married and had a change on your last name?

Birdman37 said:

Alabama logo history

Isn't the script "A" the way Bryant wrote it? They used to call it the "Bryant A" if I recall correctly. I could be wrong about that and the Bryant A could be something else completely.

laurajmoss said:

Laura, I have an autographed color photo of Coach Bryant wearing a crimson ball cap with a white "bar" design, not only on the front panel, but completely around the cap. Centered on the front is the script a$#, which is flanked on its sides with the words ROLL and TIDE.

This framed photo was given to me twelve years ago as a gift, and the individual did not know the story behind Coach Bryant's inscription but it reads: "Hope to see you for the next "20." - Paul "Bear" Bry ant (CPB's last name has a bit of a space between the "y" and "a").

Not for sure how old the photo is but I remember that hat style was popular in the 70s, and it does have the script a$#.

I agree laurajmoss, I like the elephant coming through the A as well.
It's preference but I like it better too.

652_1.jpg.jpg

Here's a different photo (not mine) of Coach Bryant wearing a cap with the script a$#. From the look of his age, this shot appears to have been taken during the 60s.

Notice again, the way he splits Bry ant in his signature.

bear facts said:
laurajmoss said:

Laura, I have an autographed color photo of Coach Bryant wearing a crimson ball cap with a white "bar" design, not only on the front panel, but completely around the cap. Centered on the front is the scripted a$#, which is flanked on its sides with the words ROLL and TIDE.

This framed photo was given to me twelve years ago as a gift, and the individual did not know the story behind Coach Bryant's inscription but it reads: "Hope to see you for the next "20." - Paul "Bear" Bry ant (CPB's last name has a bit of a space between the "y" and "a").

Not for sure how old the photo is but I remember that hat style was popular in the 70s, and it does have the scripted a$#.

Did it look like this?

Nothing-but-a-winner-main.jpg

The bar design with script A was popular around the late 70's, so the inscription could be in reference to Bryant's first twenty years of coaching at Bama. The pencil drawing above was based on a 1980 photo. The photos of Bryant in a white cap with crimson script A (some with a crimson bill) are typically of mid to late 60's vintage.

It's pretty clear that we were well ahead of the Braves.

RTR,

Tim

It Takes Eleven said:
bear facts said:
laurajmoss said:

Laura, I have an autographed color photo of Coach Bryant wearing a crimson ball cap with a white "bar" design, not only on the front panel, but completely around the cap. Centered on the front is the scripted a$#, which is flanked on its sides with the words ROLL and TIDE.

Not for sure how old the photo is but I remember that hat style was popular in the 70s, and it does have the scripted a$#.

Did it look like this?

Nothing-but-a-winner-main.jpg

The bar design with script A was popular around the late 70's, so the inscription could be in reference to Bryant's first twenty years of coaching at Bama. The pencil drawing above was based on a 1980 photo. The photos of Bryant in a white cap with crimson script A (some with a crimson bill) are typically of mid to late 60's vintage.

It's pretty clear that we were well ahead of the Braves.

RTR,

Tim

Tim, it looks exactly like that except all the panels around the cap are crimson and the white bar encircles it entirely.

laurajmoss said:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Big_Fan said:
Birdman37 said:

Alabama logo history

Isn't the script "A" the way Bryant wrote it? They used to call it the "Bryant A" if I recall correctly. I could be wrong about that and the Bryant A could be something else completely.

You could be right, Big_Fan. The script A in the first link is NOT the script A Bama's using now.

We have the script A in the circle in this image:
UAhead-1.gif

And, we have the script A in the circle in this image.
OnFieldLogo-1.gif

I believe this A is the one currently in use.

All I know is I absolutely hate these!

7284.gif

2424.gif

2425.gif

The 2 CP posted are my favorites, along with the block A with the Elephant stepping thru.

Bama Bo said:
All I know is I absolutely hate these!

7284.gif

2424.gif

2425.gif

The 2 CP posted are my favorites, along with the block A with the Elephant stepping thru.

The first one and the third one are DuBose era redesigns. The second one has been around a long time in different forms...I like the second one ok...the first and third one I don't like either.

CrimsonPirate said:
We have the script A in the circle in this image:
UAhead-1.gif

And, we have the script A in the circle in this image.
OnFieldLogo-1.gif

I believe this A is the one currently in use.

my point was about the Script 'A' in general, not that alternate one like ur showing. my point the script 'A' has been around since the 60's man.

Back
Top Bottom