| FTBL Anyone remember....

Our main problems are lack of speed/coverage skills from the safety position and the immaturity of the receiving corps.
One of the things that has always intrigued me is judgements on safeties.

If they had the speed and coverage skills they're often criticized for, they'd be corners, or wide receivers.

On irony's side people laud Sark's ability to put a player in playmaking positions: a better wide receiver than a safety. It was a mismatch. But when it happens to the Bama defense, it's a coaching problem with Golding?

If you put a better athlete against another, what's the likely outcome?

One of the things that has always intrigued me is judgements on safeties.

If they had the speed and coverage skills they're often criticized for, they'd be corners, or wide receivers.

On irony's side people laud Sark's ability to put a player in playmaking positions: a better wide receiver than a safety. It was a mismatch. But when it happens to the Bama defense, it's a coaching problem with Golding?

If you put a better athlete against another, what's the likely outcome?

I think it's more the perception that we have the better athletes. You're talking guys garnering 1st and 2nd round NFL selections, not guys going undrafted. You're also hoping your coaching is better, your analyst are preparing guys better. Hyatt is having a great year, but it's not like I circled the matchup between him and Branch/Moore/Battle and was concerned about it or saw a glaring mismatch. I happen to think our defensive backs are waiting too long to get out of the backpedal. Receivers get right up on them and blow by them as they finally flip their hips and try to get into phase. By then it's too late and these speed guys torch us. Doesn't help when you are getting zero pressure and a guy has to cover for five seconds or longer. That's a tough ask for even Jalen Ramsey or any other star defensive back.

I think it's more the perception that we have the better athletes. You're talking guys garnering 1st and 2nd round NFL selections, not guys going undrafted. You're also hoping your coaching is better, your analyst are preparing guys better. Hyatt is having a great year, but it's not like I circled the matchup between him and Branch/Moore/Battle and was concerned about it or saw a glaring mismatch. I happen to think our defensive backs are waiting too long to get out of the backpedal. Receivers get right up on them and blow by them as they finally flip their hips and try to get into phase. By then it's too late and these speed guys torch us. Doesn't help when you are getting zero pressure and a guy has to cover for five seconds or longer. That's a tough ask for even Jalen Ramsey or any other star defensive back.

I think the issues mostly are that Tennessee is an outlier. They have unique talent and experience and scheme.

Hiatt was a legit track star in HS. He's blazing fast.

Hooker is 24.5 years old. That experience and poise is huge for them.

The UT offense is the closest to the Briles Baylor offense and is hard to deal with. They align their WRs so wide that you have to dictate whether you are in man or zone. They can run pretty well on 1st down, and then go super fast. So your edge rushers are on their heels.

On the outside, they get a track star vs. Battle or Hellams who are both bigger guys and cannot run with Hiatt. Maybe there are changes in personnel or coverage they can implement next time. But you can't play 5 in the box and stop the run (including QB) very well IMO.

Back
Top Bottom