| FTBL Anyone remember....

The Viles have not been in this positions for maaaaaany years. Their sphincter muscle is going to start tightening. Oh and their fans are becoming what I expected with a small amount of success. They are crowing like they walk on water.

Bama, who knows how we are going to respond. If history repeats we will be fine but this has been very odd with the number of penalties being waaaaay out of balance. Oh and not consistent running game.

Didn't tighten up against us enough.

I saw this graphic on another site and IMO, it speaks volumes about our defense. Granted the offensive side of the ball has changed during these years.

DCSeasonTotal DefenseRushing DefneseScoring Defense
Kirby2013111
Kirby2014574
Kirby2015313
Pruitt2016211
Pruitt2017111
Tosh/Pete2018161912
Pete2019133713
Pete2020321713
Pete20217418
Pete2022161520

I saw this graphic on another site and IMO, it speaks volumes about our defense. Granted the offensive side of the ball has changed during these years.

Kirby2013111
Kirby2014574
Kirby2015313
Pruitt2016211
Pruitt2017111
Tosh/Pete2018161912
Pete2019133713
Pete2020321713
Pete20217418
Pete2022161520

I knew I wasn't losing my mind... We've had good defenses under Pete but NEVER great. Only 1 top 5 finish out 15 categories. 2 top 10 out of 15.

Kirby2013111
Kirby2014574
Kirby2015313
Pruitt2016211
Pruitt2017111
Tosh/Pete2018161912
Pete2019133713
Pete2020321713
Pete20217418
Pete2022161520

Great graphic. I needed this for support for many of my comments before. It definitely allows anyone to understand why our dominance has waned and why we are in so many closer games than in previous years. Golding's recruiting has to be the sole reason he is still employed. Luckily the talent he is bringing in is keeping us from dropping even further. Could you imagine where we would be without William Anderson?

Great graphic. I needed this for support for many of my comments before. It definitely allows anyone to understand why our dominance has waned and why we are in so many closer games than in previous years. Golding's recruiting has to be the sole reason he is still employed. Luckily the talent he is bringing in is keeping us from dropping even further. Could you imagine where we would be without William Anderson?

I think it's amplified by how many former Saban assistants are now opponents faced annually. These guys know the basics of the D inside and out and have come out with great gameplans to attack the weaknesses.

I just don't think Golding can adjust on the fly. I also don't think the pattern matching coverage is near as good as it was with past DCs. It seems like defenders cover grass more than clamping down on receivers in front of them. I don't see the 2 deep safeties breaking on passes in front of them and getting picks like we used to see.

17 penalties and still should have lost. I am not saying the refs were the problems our undisciplined play was. More what we did that what the Viles did. Of course they did one thing that was something they did and that was throw the ball to #11.
You keep using penalties as an excuse, and to an extent I agree, but we did the same against Texas. There's a trend forming. Away game ranked teams? Got two in a row now, let's see.

You keep using penalties as an excuse, and to an extent I agree, but we did the same against Texas. There's a trend forming. Away game ranked teams? Got two in a row now, let's see.
@mando

Penalties were a piece...but not the whole ....for su

Difference in final outcome between Tennessee game an Texas game....the FG was made in Texas game ..... played crap....penalties.... breakdowns in schemes...etc. but in the end....FG was made at Texas

Maybe the wrong thread, but wanted others' thoughts:

Georgia OLB Nolan Smith is out for the year with injury

How does this affect their game vs. Tennessee?

Can UGA win an SEC title and NC without Smith? Do they have another 1st round NFL talent on the bench they can replace him with as an edge rusher?

Maybe the wrong thread, but wanted others' thoughts:

Georgia OLB Nolan Smith is out for the year with injury

How does this affect their game vs. Tennessee?

Can UGA win an SEC title and NC without Smith? Do they have another 1st round NFL talent on the bench they can replace him with as an edge rusher?

He has been a bust for being the #2 recruit in the country. I honestly believe he was holding their defense back at that position. They have some guys in the wings just waiting to get out there, namely Marvin Jones Jr. I don't think he affects their defense at all, because Kirby is going to send pressure, and no better way to do that than get a new guy in there wanting to forge his path and build some hype. They have recruited very well, so no shortage of talent on their front seven. May come across as harsh towards Smith, but I was never a fan. I do hope he recovers and can find a way to produce at the next level for his personal and financial sake.

He has been a bust for being the #2 recruit in the country. I honestly believe he was holding their defense back at that position. They have some guys in the wings just waiting to get out there, namely Marvin Jones Jr. I don't think he affects their defense at all, because Kirby is going to send pressure, and no better way to do that than get a new guy in there wanting to forge his path and build some hype. They have recruited very well, so no shortage of talent on their front seven. May come across as harsh towards Smith, but I was never a fan. I do hope he recovers and can find a way to produce at the next level for his personal and financial sake.

Good info. I looked up his stats and he is their leading sack guy and leading tackler from their front players - but I am sure they have great talent to replace him, just with less experience.

Did 17 penatiles occur? That is fact. Did it impact the game? I am not saying they were not deserved penalties. What I am saying is clean that crap up and you win these games with margin. I am not even saying it isn't a trend. I am saying I like our chances against eveyone including the Viles or Puppies if we can fix this area of the team. More likely to fix that than fix a jimmy or joe iissue or scheme issue this season..

Did 17 penatiles occur? That is fact. Did it impact the game? I am not saying they were not deserved penalties. What I am saying is clean that crap up and you win these games with margin. I am not even saying it isn't a trend. I am saying I like our chances against eveyone including the Viles or Puppies if we can fix this area of the team. More likely to fix that than fix a jimmy or joe iissue or scheme issue this season..

Penalties didn't get us beat deep is what I'm saying. Penalties didn't give up 52 points. Penalties are not the reason we lost. I agree, some very aggregious calls and missed calls, but that's not what set the tone for the game. Same thing against Texas. You need a better philosophy as a team. You say fix it easier than a jimmy and joe issue, but it's the jimmies and joes costing us there as well, so changing them is more likely the solution. As we saw against Mississippi State.

Penalties didn't get us beat deep is what I'm saying. Penalties didn't give up 52 points. Penalties are not the reason we lost. I agree, some very aggregious calls and missed calls, but that's not what set the tone for the game. Same thing against Texas. You need a better philosophy as a team. You say fix it easier than a jimmy and joe issue, but it's the jimmies and joes costing us there as well, so changing them is more likely the solution. As we saw against Mississippi State.
Agree that penalties did not get us beat deep. That is what I said when I said there was one thing the Viles did versus us shooting ourselves in the foot. That was indeed #11 running past our safety time after time. With ALL of that Bama wins if they clean up the penalties. That is my point. I am not ok with the Defense when it gives up that many points. I know you have seen my post that states we should not be giving up 20 points/game much less 52. I think we are violently agreeing :).

Agree that penalties did not get us beat deep. That is what I said when I said there was one thing the Viles did versus us shooting ourselves in the foot. That was indeed #11 running past our safety time after time. With ALL of that Bama wins if they clean up the penalties. That is my point. I am not ok with the Defense when it gives up that many points. I know you have seen my post that states we should not be giving up 20 points/game much less 52. I think we are violently agreeing :).

Yep, we agree on a lot when it comes to our defense. I never like hypotheticals because it's not really a reality. I don't think this team can fix its penalty issues, I just don't see that look from them we used to see when guys were 100% locked in and hungry. Not trying to be a debbie downer, because honestly I think we can still win it all, but it's so unfortunate how up and down we are with a once in a lifetime recruit in Bryce Young and other top talents like William Anderson and Dallas Turner on the same field.

Good info. I looked up his stats and he is their leading sack guy and leading tackler from their front players - but I am sure they have great talent to replace him, just with less experience.

Look at their schedule though. Not exactly what jumps off the page at you. His sacks are against Kent State, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, so hopefully you catch my drift. Again this year, their middle linebackers are stealing the show. Christopher Smith, safety, is having a decent year as well. Losing #4 isn't hurting them.

Look at their schedule though. Not exactly what jumps off the page at you. His sacks are against Kent State, Missouri, and Vanderbilt, so hopefully you catch my drift. Again this year, their middle linebackers are stealing the show. Christopher Smith, safety, is having a decent year as well. Losing #4 isn't hurting them.

Can't disagree with that. I am very interested in seeing what unfolds Saturday.

I thought the D performance vs UT was atrocious, but Tennessee is scheming guys wide open vs. everyone. Kentucky has a good DC and a good D, and they left Hiatt uncovered all the time too.

UGA hasn't shut down any good offense that has skill and an excellent QB in I don't know how long. I don't count Oregon in game 1 as they are a different team now. UGA will need a pass rush or UT will move it up and down the field.

Our main problems are lack of speed/coverage skills from the safety position and the immaturity of the receiving corps. As long as #9 is healthy, we have a chance against anybody. Our margin for error is way less this year due to these deficiencies at safety and receiver. We are not going to "28-0" teams by halftime like in 2020 The week off is not going to cure these 2 deficiencies and the next 2 games will define our season.

Can't disagree with that. I am very interested in seeing what unfolds Saturday.

I thought the D performance vs UT was atrocious, but Tennessee is scheming guys wide open vs. everyone. Kentucky has a good DC and a good D, and they left Hiatt uncovered all the time too.

UGA hasn't shut down any good offense that has skill and an excellent QB in I don't know how long. I don't count Oregon in game 1 as they are a different team now. UGA will need a pass rush or UT will move it up and down the field.

I 100% agree. The part that upsets me about our game with them is finding out we changed who we were as a defense to apparently prepare for a runner that picked us a part with his arm and we never shifted. It's so hard for me to even hear the media talk about us knowing what we know and then hearing them talk thinking they know the same having availability to all the same information. I mean, is anyone really taking TCU over Alabama on a neutral field or even in Corpus?

I am very anxious for this game because I honestly feel Tennessee is riding that LSU wave where it is just their year and they clicked. I also want to see Kirby deal with some adversity after his Natty, and that is hard to find with the powderpuff schedule they play. This is the type of game that will have a little bit of everything, good offense, decent defense, fast athletes everywhere, and two hungry teams (one fighting to regain relevance and another trying to be the new King). It'll just be fun to watch a game that benefits us either way it goes without having to be upset with how we as a team perform, ha ha. Then BAM, our boys get LSU under the lights in Death Valley. What a treat for us on Saturday. And here's the also hoping Notre Dame gets Clempsun. They've been playing with fire and need to be outted.

Back
Top Bottom