| FTBL Anyone notice JPW on that ....

I

imported_porkchop

....option read? I think the first time I saw it was in the 2nd quarter out of the shotgun formation. If you notice (for those that have the game taped) JPW opened up a couple of times to hand it to Coffee/Upchurch (like you would to the FB on a traditional option) while looking at the backside DE the whole time. I don't think he ever took it around the end but I was waiting on it. It looked like had that backside end bit hard JPW would have tucked it and took off around the end or off tackle.

I give Applewhite props for breaking out some new looks and mixing it up last night, especially early. It was nice to see the TE getting the ball too.

Yeah, I noticed that a few times. I know that was a play CMA used to run as the QB at Texas, and I was wondering/hoping he would get it into our offense.

Yeah, I noticed it as well. It was one of those surreal moments I had to say to myself, "Did I just see that correctly?"

One thing I've yet too see mentioned today, which was pointed out last night by the color crew, was the offense we saw last night isn't anything like the offense we saw in the first few games.

It'll probably be mid-year next season and we'll still be seeing the play book expand.

On the flipped side...we did this delayed hand off thing. We ran it 3 or 4 times...it never worked. It should be removed from the books. It may be what you are talking about...it had an option feel to it, but our QB is no threat to pull it out and run around the end. The line crashed down and stopped us for no gain.

It was nice to see! Now if we can only get our QB to look at the defense prior to snapping the ball. The Defenses against us are tipping their hand on a blitz, but we do nothing about it. Twice Clemson was about to fall over forwards with a blitz on one size or another, but we made no adjustments.

I think you are absolutely correct about the play call, it's the basic spread option used at WV or Florida.

Based on what I've seen through 26 games, though, I'm not sure JPW can make the 0.8 second read required to pull/run. Some people just can't.

There are a lot of teams going to it, even in high school (I tried to teach it to my pee wee team, but my QB couldn't make the read), and it's very similar to the wishbone as far as it's reliance on quick QB decisions and the ability of the QB to take hits. I think out of the gun, it give the QB a little better perspective on the reads.

Stallings HATED the gun, but I think technological advances (tackier football, football gloves for the center, etc.) have made the shotgun just as reliable a method of exchange as "under center".

Big_Fan said:
On the flipped side...we did this delayed hand off thing. We ran it 3 or 4 times...it never worked. It should be removed from the books. It may be what you are talking about...it had an option feel to it, but our QB is no threat to pull it out and run around the end. The line crashed down and stopped us for no gain.

Slow developing, delayed and JPW just don't go together. :?

Changing subject a bit, but I've been calling for a reverse for what felt like all season. I guess I need to start calling for a double reverse. When we ran the reverse the other night CU had it defended perfectly. It looked like it might be a double reverse which looked like it would have gone far.

So in the future I guess I'll just have to start begging for the double reverse. :)

BamaDelta said:
Big_Fan said:

Slow developing, delayed and JPW just don't go together. :?

Changing subject a bit, but I've been calling for a reverse for what felt like all season. I guess I need to start calling for a double reverse. When we ran the reverse the other night CU had it defended perfectly. It looked like it might be a double reverse which looked like it would have gone far.

So in the future I guess I'll just have to start begging for the double reverse. :)

If you weren't at the game, you probably didn't notice but in the first quarter, Bama called for a reverse, but Roy Upchurch didn't complete the exchange. It was set up well with plenty of blockers and no defenders, Roy just didn't do his job. In person, you could see the players looking at each other after the play asking what happened... Watching TIVO last night, Davies failed to mention anything about it, and the cameras didn't catch it.

Middle of the field and short routes were open the entire game. JPW lacks some patience, freaking happy feet. CMA will have the full o in next year and we will see some better production imho.

You are right PC that was open and I thought he should have pulled that thing out and ran it :) :D

I liked the design QB draw in the first half (first quarter maybe). You know the one with the GIANT hole in the middle of the field. JPW looked really good out in the open field. He didn't slide at first sight of contact but he didnt expose himself to get decked.

Back
Top Bottom