| FTBL andthevalleyshook.com "It's hard to like Honey Badger."

TerryP

Staff
I do not like Tyrann Mathieu. There, I said it.
I find him hard to root for. That doesn't stop me from rooting for him; I just find it hard to do.
I won't make the mistake of telling anyone how to feel. But for me, I just don't like him. Beside the fact that he's a brilliant football player, why would I?
Just read his twitter account. He tweets, incessantly, an attribute I find annoying in and of itself. When you consider the content of his tweets, it becomes all the more difficult to swallow. It's somehow a mixture of arrogance, humility, trash-talking, paranoia, shout outs, call outs, advice, re-tweets of people singing his praises and motivational speeches. Here's a sampling:

I don't know who y'all is, or why Mathieu thinks they are praying for his demise.

I'll just leave this here...

Ok.

Finally, some wisdom, that he fails to yield himself, often.

This doesn't even touch on him trash talking McElroy and Alabama a few months ago.

I know it's just a twitter account. I get that it's all fun and games. But am I the only one surprised that Les Miles hasn't put a moratorium on him yet? That has seemingly happened with Russell Shepard (which may well be a personal decision), who hasn't tweeted since May 4th. Am I the only one who finds Mathieu's twitter account a wee-bit embarrassing? This coming from a guy whose own Twitter is an exercise in stupidity.

Even forgiving his twitter, let's talk about his style of play. He loves to talk. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk. Get run over, talk. Make a pick, talk. Score a TD, walk to the sideline and pose for the cameras. Cause a turnover, talk, pose, talk, treadmill, talk, talk.

I get the gamesmanship. I don't mind a little psychological warfare. I do think he is effective when he talks. I do think his "swagger" is part of what makes him a great player. But that doesn't mean I have to like it, does it?

Sometimes his "swagger" goes too far. Like when he stupidly cost us about a quarter of a football field of yardage with a dumb-dumb holding penalty, which was really just him getting lost in the trash-talk.

Look, the kid works hard. Don't worry, just read his twitter; he reminds you of that fact. Every. Single. Day.

I'm not old school, and I don' t believe in the mythology of "doing it the right way." I'm not against athletes with twitter. I'm simply talking about Tyrann Mathieu as if he were someone I knew. Because if he were, I would hate him. I would make fun of him. I would mock him. In fact, even if I didn't know him and he played for Alabama, or Florida, or Georgia, or Texas or hell, Vanderbilt, I would openly deride him and probably come here and write this column, only much more derisively. Because then, it's somehow accepted.

When a player from another team acts like a dweeb, we are allowed, in fact encouraged, to berate, mock and otherwise insult them. When our guys do it, we are somehow supposed to rally behind and be empathetic.

Do I love it when Tyrann Mathieu comes up with the most improbable of turnovers? Hell yes I do. Do I hope Tyrann Mathieu plays the finest football of his career in this upcoming season? Absolutely. Mathieu is, without a doubt, one of the most prolific turnover artists in college football history. He's one of the finest defensive backs to play now or any era. He's a unique tour-de-force on the football field. And somehow, I can't stand him.

As fans, we are naturally pre-disposed to liking any and everyone who dons our teams' colors. We will root for the bad (Jarrett Lee, Jordan Jefferson, Josh Booty) and rush to defend the stupid (Cecil Collins, Ryan Perrilloux). Passion overrides reason, which is frankly one of the best things about being a fan. I'm just as guilty as the next man.

I'll root for Tyrann Mathieu. But that doesn't mean I have to like him.

http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2012/7/17/3163882/the-honey-badger-is-hard-to-like

#7 went off on twitter last week, like a fool. I ran across them last week and couldn't believe some of the things he feels confident putting out there like he does...couldn't help but wonder if he is trying to convince himself of his greatness vs others.

He has a knack for making big plays, he's always impressed me from this standpoint, his mouth is a different story.

He does have a knack for making the big play, but DAMN, he is just as likely to get burned!! I don't care for the show-boating or the trash talk. Saw his "greatest" tweet on ESPNU this week and just had to shake my head!! How can anyone say that after he got ABUSED by a kid in the BCSNCG who had ALL of 7 catches on the season?

I remember back in Pat Dye's heyday at aubren they were playing Florida, and the gators had a weakside linebacker who was making a big name for himself. Dye had the barners go the entire game with two tight ends to see if the Florida hot shot was a "football player" and came up with a big W.

We spent the whole NC game with a big receiver in the slot and attacked #7. He wasn't such a hot shpot when he had to play an assignment.

He does have a knack for making the big play, but DAMN, he is just as likely to get burned!! I don't care for the show-boating or the trash talk. Saw his "greatest" tweet on ESPNU this week and just had to shake my head!! How can anyone say that after he got ABUSED by a kid in the BCSNCG who had ALL of 7 catches on the season?

BINGO!

He reminds me of Matt Jones for us a few years ago. I used to have a saying.....You live by Matt Jones, you die by Matt Jones.

For the record, I do not like the Honey Badger. I kicked his ASS in NCAA Football 2013 on my XBOX last night.

he's an idiot and i cannot stand him but i cant lie... i laughed hysterically at this one...

stain_medium.png

High praises there, Terry lol... not sure I'd go that far... but yes, he is quite possibly the most annoying person in college football. I don't understand why Les doesn't reign in the social media usage a little bit more, either. You'd think the failed drug test and subsequent suspension, nude pics on mediatakeout, and all the trash talking he didn't deliver on in the fall would be enough to warrant that.. but I think we all know what kinda ship he runs over there.

Anyhow, my thing when it comes to the dopebadger and twitter is more so how dumb his call-outs of individual players have made him look in the past, as opposed to necessarily caring about the fact he's arrogant. I remember how much he had to say before the TN game and ended up getting beat the whole 60 mins. He was trash talking one of the FL kids (Burton maybe?) before their game, too, and also ended up looking stupid. Even in the first Bama game, his only contribution was a dirty hit that cost his team yards (and should've costed a lot more).. and of course we all know what he contributed in January​

he's an idiot and i cannot stand him but i cant lie... i laughed hysterically at this one...

stain_medium.png

The only STAIN that came to my mind when I read this tweet, "Is he talking about the **** STAIN" in his pants after getting ABUSED over and over in the BCSNCG!!! LOL:icon_lol:

Last edited:
High praises there, Terry lol... not sure I'd go that far... but yes, he is quite possibly the most annoying person in college football. I don't understand why Les doesn't reign in the social media usage a little bit more, either. You'd think the failed drug test and subsequent suspension, nude pics on mediatakeout, and all the trash talking he didn't deliver on in the fall would be enough to warrant that.. but I think we all know what kinda ship he runs over there.

Anyhow, my thing when it comes to the dopebadger and twitter is more so how dumb his call-outs of individual players have made him look in the past, as opposed to necessarily caring about the fact he's arrogant. I remember how much he had to say before the TN game and ended up getting beat the whole 60 mins. He was trash talking one of the FL kids (Burton maybe?) before their game, too, and also ended up looking stupid. Even in the first Bama game, his only contribution was a dirty hit that cost his team yards (and should've costed a lot more).. and of course we all know what he contributed in January​

I don't recall what he said pre-UT or about UF which pretty much tells me I didn't see those comments. Without my taking the time to look it up, do you happen to recall off the top of your head?

I only started paying attention to what TM was saying pre-BCSNC when he said he was looking up the mothers names so he could talk trash on the field during the game. I immediately thought, "yo momma jokes?"

You're probably right though, he may have realized what he was saying when he posted that on twitter. I have my doubts it thought if it before hand, but probably dawned on him when he wrote the first part and then started putting two and two together.

From a football perspective I hope he continues along these lines. The more he talks, the more he reminds me of Lamar Thomas.

I don't think players should be banned from using twitter or social media. I think you treat these players as young men, teach them how posts can be detrimental to their image and playing time and give them enough rope to hang themselves. I guess I'm saying, teach them to be responsible and think long term...

Just read that Jimbo Fisher has banned FSU players from using twitter - I just don't think this sets a good foundation for teaching responsibility.

Trent ran right over him as well. He was OWNED during the BCSNCG. I think that game exposed him - he makes his big plays by reacting to offenses that are trying to avoid him. The trick is to take it righ to him and force him to play his responsibility and he is exposed.

I don't recall what he said pre-UT or about UF which pretty much tells me I didn't see those comments. Without my taking the time to look it up, do you happen to recall off the top of your head?

He was going after Da'Rick Rogers (UT) before their game but I don't remember what exactly he said, no. Before the FL game he called Burton soft or weak, something along those lines, then after the game was over Burton made this his profile picture.. and I just spent 15 min of my life that I'll never get back attempting to find it for the purpose of this post LOL.

hurdle2.jpg

That is a pretty sweet pic, I have to say.
And of course we all know about him running his mouth to AJ on twitter

You're probably right though, he may have realized what he was saying when he posted that on twitter. I have my doubts it thought if it before hand, but probably dawned on him when he wrote the first part and then started putting two and two together.

Oops. That's what I get for not quoting. I was actually referring to this, thinking it was your own comment: "Mathieu is, without a doubt, one of the most prolific turnover artists in college football history. He's one of the finest defensive backs to play now or any era. He's a unique tour-de-force on the football field."

planomateo said:
I don't think players should be banned from using twitter or social media. I think you treat these players as young men, teach them how posts can be detrimental to their image and playing time and give them enough rope to hang themselves. I guess I'm saying, teach them to be responsible and think long term...

Yeah I don't believe they should be banned from using it, either.. but some guidelines might not hurt. Like no calling out players on rival teams by name, no use of the "n" word etc.. I realize they are young adults, but they're also getting a free education among other things. Just my .02

Last edited:

I only started paying attention to what TM was saying pre-BCSNC when he said he was looking up the mothers names so he could talk trash on the field during the game. I immediately thought, "yo momma jokes?"

From a football perspective I hope he continues along these lines. The more he talks, the more he reminds me of Lamar Thomas.

I do believe he said that Da'Rick Rogers wouldnt make a single catch against him and he was shutting him down... Rogers then proceeded to take a slant pass about 50 yards while reminding Honeybadger what he had said.

I think Honeybadger got his fame from ESPN and such. To me he benefited from Mo Claibourne being at corner. Teams thought the lesser of two evils was HoneyBadger, so he got picks. But, watching several videos most of his turnovers were QBs just throwing the ball up and him catching it, I mean there obviously were several times where he made great plays, but QBs looking and seeing Mo Claibourne helped TM more than I think people realize.

BTW I'm not a fan of TM. I don't care about the trash talking and all that, but if you're going to run your neck you shouldn't be on national television getting burned over and over.

I think banning kids from social media is stupid. They're adults, but the coaches should put rules or whatever on it's use.

Does playing football to any skill level change what in would universally be known as a "punk" or "thug"?

To me, I see someone who is scared and acting desprite to sustain his time in the spotlight, trying ot psych himself up to the next level. The two undeniable truths that he sees in every mirror are a guy concerningly small for the NFL and one who was exposed during the biggest test of his life. If he can't repeat last year he knows that he will be a footnote.

He should be more Tebow and less Jack-Hole.

Back
Top Bottom