| FTBL Alternative way to play Tulane!!!

ok, ok, ok!!! Just run the ball to death and be grossly predictable. :?

If you show something new every game, then the next opponent will see something else and the next something else, and so on!!! You see?

That is what I meant by making game planning more difficult. If a team knows you are running it every single play, I don't care who they are, they will load up to stop the run.

Of course, this opens up play-action, dink & donk, and stuff like that, but throwing a wrinkle in or two keep opposing defenses honest.

Believe me, I know that you shouldn't stop something that is working, but how long do you guys really think this kind of strategy will work?

I hope I am making my point clear!

aMAZEnFan said:
ok, ok, ok!!! Just run the ball to death and be grossly predictable. :?

If you show something new every game, then the next opponent will see something else and the next something else, and so on!!! You see?

That is what I meant by making game planning more difficult. If a team knows you are running it every single play, I don't care who they are, they will load up to stop the run.

Of course, this opens up play-action, dink & donk, and stuff like that, but throwing a wrinkle in or two keep opposing defenses honest.

Believe me, I know that you shouldn't stop something that is working, but how long do you guys really think this kind of strategy will work?

I hope I am making my point clear!

You are making your point of view clear, but it still lacks one specific ingredient.

IF you have other plays in your playbook and you don't use them the other team can't plan for them.

IF you use something each week so they CAN plan for it how does that make game-planning more difficult?

It doesn't. They KNOW what to expect.

You are missing the point the way I see it.

You suggested adding things in the Tulane game. They can load the box, and still aren't going to be able to stop the run game. Heck, they have one player on defense that matches up to our players and that is only in terms of size; not ability, experience or speed.

If we follow what you are suggesting when we get to the meat of the schedule they'll know what we are going to do when we don't run. Why show your hold card when the hand is far from over?

ExiledTidefan said:
I'd like to see us continue to dominate the TOP number, all year, if possible.

However we do it, running, short passes, even a combination of the two...By keeping the other team off the field, you don't have to score as many points. True, the other team could have very quick, deadly positions and still beat you. But Tulane isn't wired that way, and neither was Clemson. Neither is WKU or Arkansas. A run first mentality will help us keep that TOP in our favor, and I think you will win more than you lose by doing that.

I expect the TOP will be much closer this week than it was against Clemson. We will have some quick scores that we did not have in game 1.

Tulane fans have me scratching my head. Somehow they think that they are going to be vastly improved this season. They are citing practice reports that state that to be the case...yet they lost 90% of their offense from last season to the NFL and pro baseball. Their only experienced RB is gone, and their QB (while he has physical tools) is new. Their OL has no depth, and their centers are undersized. Cody eats meals larger than their center.
They have decent wideouts, but no better than Clemson. Somehow they think that their first year Soph QB will be better than Clemson's Hypesman candidate. On top of all this, they were displaced by Gustav and are having to play on the road in front of 94,000 hostile fans.

Unlike Clemson, their secondary is far from being a strength. They may be improved from 2007, but it would be hard to be worse. They gave up 300+ yards passing routinely in 2007, and 600 yards of total offense to Tulsa.

While I know that Bama is greatly improved from 2007, it is well documented that we did not lose any games by more than a TD in 2007. Tulane got smacked around a lot - and sometimes it was worse than the scoreboard indicated.

The only way Tulane covers the spread is if we overlook them, and I doubt we are looking ahead to Western KY. Saban will have us ready to play. We need to get reserves significant playing time. I think the goal of our offense will be to score early, often, and let the scout team get some game experience.

Ok OK.....dad is here...stop fighting guys :D :D

Calm Down.
I see where you guys both are coming from. But I will be the tie breaker. TerryP you make some great points, but since you down me a lot I was going to take the side of aMAZEnFan but he is smoking something. Both you guys put on your reading glasses and read this. You guys are pretty much saying the same thing.

There is something is College football called “SCOUTING” (Keep your pants on, im going to explain myself). Its where a coach or a certain person of a certain team watches a team that they are going to play in the next coming weeks. So if for the game, I (being the coach) run 54 plays (who gives a crap wither they are passing or running) the scout will be able to change his teams defense or offense to work against the play that I just ran. But tricky me when I play the scouts team I run 54 plays during the game (ten of them are new) they will not know what hit them. This is called….hmmmm….the word is on my tongue…o0o0o SMART COACHING.

Now I don’t want to be conservative and not run new plays. You have to run new plays every game. But you save the “secret plays” for the LSU, UG, etc…games.
Simple concept!
BUT…..This is the SEC. Where you cant sling a dead cat around without hitting a coach with a NC. They know how to prepare for games. They prepare there players. In the SEC its not like you cant run every team down into the ground, but you also cant throw all day long. You need a balance attack. You need to pass and run. You can have 26 plays in your playbook. 13 pass. 13 run. That can win you the SEC title game. Its how you use those passes. Its how you run those run plays. Its how you get the defense on your heals. Its how you get 2.1 yards on 4 and 2.

Should we have new plays everyweek…yeah…should we burn the playbook of the previous game and build a new one? NO.
Its all about Add-Ons.

Why does the NFL only run about 25 plays out of there playbook during the preseason? Because they don’t want to show there stuff.

There is a fine line in which you keep old plays that work, new plays that work. And that’s why we have a coach that we pay $4 million too. He can decide.

That evil genius Saban might show a few plays that he never intends to run again, just to give the other guys something extra to prepare for.

TerryP said:
Personally, I want them to keep the playbook as closed as it was last week.

And, from what I hear, that's what they plan on doing...only changes we'll see are a few more players seeing some action than we saw last week on more than one unit.
You and I both agree on that 110%. Dont show nothing, everything needs to be confidential at this point.

BigAl said:
TerryP said:

And, from what I hear, that's what they plan on doing...only changes we'll see are a few more players seeing some action than we saw last week on more than one unit.
You and I both agree on that 110%. Dont show nothing, everything needs to be confidential at this point.

AND I might add please put JPW and any other starter for that matter, on the bench asap. We don't need any starters hurt like what happened to Brody against Western Kentucky or Western Carolina or Western something or other.

rammajamma said:
BigAl said:
TerryP said:

AND I might add please put JPW and any other starter for that matter, on the bench asap. We don't need any starters hurt like what happened to Brody against Western Kentucky or Western Carolina or Western something or other.

They do have plans to get other players in tomorrow...several have been taking reps in game situations that would normally be given, at least a lot of them, to our "go to guys."

TerryP said:

Empty the bench!

TerryP said:
if no one can stop us running between the tackles why stop? Why do more?

I'm reminded of a game when Wake played Ole Miss in 2006. Wake ran close to 60 offensive plays in the game, maybe more, but only threw the ball 6 times. When asked why, Grobe said, "they couldn't stop the run so why do anything else?"

Amen, brother.

Back
Top Bottom