| BSB/SB đźĄŽ Alex Salter Throws No-Hitter in Midweek Win Over Alabama State - (Wednesday @ 6CT, Jacksonville State.)

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Redshirt freshman Alex Salter threw the 40th no-hitter in Alabama softball history Tuesday night in a five-inning 8-0 win over Alabama State.

Alex Salter's no-hitter is the first of her career and the 40th in Alabama (29-4) history, including three over the last four meetings against Alabama State (14-16). Salter faced the minimum through 5.0 innings pitched, allowing just one walk that was erased when the runner was caught stealing in the next at-bat. She got plenty of help behind her with an error-free night on defense and eight runs on 11 hits from the offense. All nine starters reached base safely at least once, including a 2-for-3 day from Megan Bloodworth and a two-RBI performance from Jenna Lord. Savannah Woodard ended the game early with an RBI triple in the bottom of the fifth to push it to an eight-run game, the second three-bagger of her career.

From head Coach Patrick Murphy

"I have to say congrats to Alex Salter for her first no-hitter. We started with seven freshmen in the field defensively, which was a little nerve-wracking for me, but they all did great. Alex pitched really well. Her off-speed was terrific throughout the game. We also had some key hits on offense and were able to end the game early because of it. Every one of the nine starters either had a hit or a walk tonight so I was very proud of all of them."

From Alex Salter

"It's pretty crazy. I am just thankful for the staff, my pitching coach Steph, the bullpen and my teammates who all back me up on the field. I always trust our defense, even when I am not on the field, but tonight it was super relaxing to have them making plays left and right behind me."

Highlights​

• Alex Salter's no-hitter is the first of her career, the first this season for Alabama and the 40th in program history
  • It was the third no-hitter in the last four meetings against Alabama State
  • The Tide is 23-3 this season when scoring first and 14-1 when scoring in the first inning
  • Alabama is outscoring opponents 43-5 in the first inning this season
  • All six true freshmen were in the starting lineup along with redshirt freshman Alex Salter pitching

Scoring Summary​

• B1 | Abby Doerr pulled an RBI single down the right field line (1-0, 1 Out)
  • B1 | Jenna Lord drove a two-run single up the middle (3-0, 2 Out)
  • B3 | Megan Bloodworth laced a standup double into the left field gap, driving in Jenna Johnson from second (4-0, 2 Out)
  • B3 | Kali Heivilin dropped an RBI single into left field (5-0, 2 Out)
  • B3 | Jordan Stephens scored from third on a double steal (6-0, 2 Out)
  • B3 | With the bases loaded, a wild pitch brought in a run (7-0, 2 Out)
  • B5 | Savannah Woodard tripled to left field to score Heivilin and end the game early (8-0, 0 Out)

Up Next: Jacksonville State (Sand Mountain Showdown)​

• Wednesday, March 30 vs. Jacksonville State – Albertville, Ala. – 6 p.m. CT

From head Coach Patrick Murphy

"I have to say congrats to Alex Salter for her first no-hitter. We started with seven freshmen in the field defensively, which was a little nerve-wracking for me, but they all did great. Alex pitched really well. Her off-speed was terrific throughout the game. We also had some key hits on offense and were able to end the game early because of it. Every one of the nine starters either had a hit or a walk tonight so I was very proud of them."

This might have been a gamble, but it's paid off well. Lots of freshmen who all played a big role. Sure, it was an incredibly, excitingly below-average ASU team, but Murphy's plan to build meaningful depth paid off big time. Well done, both team and Coach!

Back
Top Bottom