| MBB/WBB Alabama’s Hot-Shooting Too Much for Ole Miss in 97-83 Victory

Like said above, needed a game like this. Gotta get better on defense, but Ole Miss was on fire tonight as well from three. Need another performance like this against Arkansas. Good win, way to bounce back, way to fight after getting down early, and Roll Tide.

Road game and OM has won 3 out of the last 5 I believe. It will be a struggle and just hope Bama gets enough stops and makes enough shots in the end.
Glad I was wrong but early it looked like I was right. Crazy how a team can shoot so poorly in one game and completely flip it the next game. I digress, Shackelford/Quinerly played well. Then got good offense from JD, Ellis and Gurley. Probably JD's best game after one of his worse games and sitting the bench for a long stretch to start the game. I was actually glad to see that because he has not been getting it done. Bediako has had 3 or 4 good games in a row. It is only one game but it is a win and on the road so I will take it. Just can't get to high or low with this group because you just never know what you are going to get.

OXFORD, Miss. – Junior guard Jaden Shackelford scored a career-high 30 points on the strength of a career-high-tying eight three-pointers leading Alabama to an impressive 97-83 win at Ole Miss Wednesday night.

As a team, the Crimson Tide (15-9, 5-6 SEC) shot single game season-best marks of 60 percent (36-of-60) from the field and 63.6 percent (14-of-22) from beyond the arc. Alabama also had a season-high 23 assists on its 36 made baskets.

Shackelford knocked down 8-of-13 threes to lead the charge as four Crimson Tide players recorded double figures in the victory. Freshman JD Davison had 18 points and eight assists off the bench while senior Keon Ellis (13) and graduate transfer Noah Gurley (10) also reach double figures on the night.

Ole Miss (12-12, 3-8) was led by Jarkel Joiner's 33 points in the losing effort.

Head Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments​

"I thought our guys showed a lot of fight. Ole Miss came out hitting shots and got up by as many as 11. Instead of getting discouraged, our guys continued to play hard. We made some defensive adjustments and it obviously helped that we shot the ball well. I think we finished on a 30-8 run to end the half and showed some real resolve to fight our way back in it. We know we are more than capable of shooting the ball well. We had multiple guys shoot 50-percent or better from three. We haven't really had an issue with the offense this year, even though we haven't shot the ball as well as we'd like to. Defense is where we have to improve and I thought we had some stretches that we were really good defensively. There was also some stretches where we weren't that good and we still have to get a lot better. I am happy to get a road win. Florida (last road win) seems like forever ago. I am really excited for the guys."

Team Stats​

• Alabama's 97 points was the most scored by an Ole Miss opponent since the last time the Crimson Tide played in Oxford, taking a 103 -78 win on February 22, 2020
  • Shackelford's 30-point night was the Tide's first 30-point game since Kira Lewis Jr. posted 37 at Georgia (2/8/20)
  • Alabama's point guards Jahvon Quinerly (9 points, 8 assists) and Davison combined to account for 27 points and 16 assists
  • It is just the second time this year the Tide had eclipsed 40-percent shooting from deep (shot 53.5 percent vs. Miami on Nov. 28

A much needed win last night! Overall, a very good performance. We do need to cut out the mental breakdowns for stretches.
Just do not see it going away, improve yes but this team is who they are. You hope with some improvements here and there we will see better results but I will always have that nagging feeling in my gut that they could come out and lay an egg in any game. Throttling my expectations accordingly.

Good win, but not gonna lie, faded out and fell asleep on the couch around the 52-49 mark in the 2nd half. Wife woke me up and told me to go to bed and that we had won 97-83. :)

I think there is a point where analytics can take us a bit too far off the map with data, and I don’t know if this is one of those times or not. But, I found it interesting…

Bayesian Performance Rating

That's a good site. A few things jump out to me looking over their metrics.

Anyone recall the third week of December and a few very confused fans following a loss?

Losing to mid majors that we should handle due to horrendous effort. I'll never get it. ~ from the Davidson game thread.

Top Five-Man Lineups​

LineupTeamAdj Off EffAdj Def EffAdj Eff MarginPossessions
R. Bolton / C. Holmgren / A. Nembhard / J. Strawther / D. TimmeGonzaga127.679.148.5481
K. Cockburn / T. Frazier / J. Grandison / A. Plummer / D. WilliamsIllinois133.686.647.0272
E. Dixon / C. Gillespie / J. Moore / J. Samuels / B. SlaterVillanova119.679.540.1349
O. Agbaji / C. Braun / D. Harris Jr. / R. Martin / D. McCormackKansas122.082.040.0238
C. Koloko / K. Kriisa / B. Mathurin / D. Terry / A. TubelisArizona118.178.539.6379
O. Agbaji / C. Braun / D. Harris Jr. / D. McCormack / J. WilsonKansas125.487.837.6253
E. Akot / M. Armus / T. Degenhart / A. Kigab / M. Shaver Jr.Boise State104.567.836.7263
L. Brajkovic / M. Jones / H. Lee / F. Loyer / S. MennengaDavidson120.984.436.4433
R. Davis / J. Mazzulla / I. Powell / B. Shungu / F. SullivanVermont122.588.633.8320
K. Brooks Jr. / K. Grady / O. Tshiebwe / T. Washington Jr. / S. WheelerKentucky116.983.233.7355

I for one still don’t think that eases the loss to Davidson. A team who lost to San Francisco, New Mexico State and VCU. But that’s water under the bridge. I guess the Zags fans are disgruntled about losing to a 15-9 Bama team that has losses to Georgia, Miss State, Mizzou, Memphis, etc.

That's a good site. A few things jump out to me looking over their metrics.

Anyone recall the third week of December and a few very confused fans following a loss?

Top Five-Man Lineups​

LineupTeamAdj Off EffAdj Def EffAdj Eff MarginPossessions
R. Bolton / C. Holmgren / A. Nembhard / J. Strawther / D. TimmeGonzaga127.679.148.5481
K. Cockburn / T. Frazier / J. Grandison / A. Plummer / D. WilliamsIllinois133.686.647.0272
E. Dixon / C. Gillespie / J. Moore / J. Samuels / B. SlaterVillanova119.679.540.1349
O. Agbaji / C. Braun / D. Harris Jr. / R. Martin / D. McCormackKansas122.082.040.0238
C. Koloko / K. Kriisa / B. Mathurin / D. Terry / A. TubelisArizona118.178.539.6379
O. Agbaji / C. Braun / D. Harris Jr. / D. McCormack / J. WilsonKansas125.487.837.6253
E. Akot / M. Armus / T. Degenhart / A. Kigab / M. Shaver Jr.Boise State104.567.836.7263
L. Brajkovic / M. Jones / H. Lee / F. Loyer / S. MennengaDavidson120.984.436.4433
R. Davis / J. Mazzulla / I. Powell / B. Shungu / F. SullivanVermont122.588.633.8320
K. Brooks Jr. / K. Grady / O. Tshiebwe / T. Washington Jr. / S. WheelerKentucky116.983.233.7355
So Bama played 3 of those and are 1-2... One could argue they could have been 2-1 or even 3-0 but when it is all said and done it does not matter. The team still has to find a way to consistently get it done regardless of the circumstances. They do not seem to have anything they can hang their hat on night after night. It needs to be defense but unfortunately that has not been the case. There is that "what if the light comes on" in the back of my mind but working hard to temper that expectation especially after a 5-6 record in SEC play. If you throw in Baylor they are 6-6 since the start of SEC play. Not measuring up to the elite teams standard.

So Bama played 3 of those and are 1-2... One could argue they could have been 2-1 or even 3-0 but when it is all said and done it does not matter. The team still has to find a way to consistently get it done regardless of the circumstances. They do not seem to have anything they can hang their hat on night after night. It needs to be defense but unfortunately that has not been the case. There is that "what if the light comes on" in the back of my mind but working hard to temper that expectation especially after a 5-6 record in SEC play. If you throw in Baylor they are 6-6 since the start of SEC play. Not measuring up to the elite teams standard.
Saturday will be interesting...Arkansas is hot

Yeah timing is indeed interesting with Arkansas. Same could be said against OM, they got their scorer back who put up 33 points that made the start of the game uncomfortable for Bama.

Which Bama team will show up?

Back
Top Bottom