| MBB/WBB Alabama's basketball coaching search.

I wouldn't know where to begin. I only follow the scores, and probably couldn't name half the head coaches in the SEC, so I have no clue as to what assistants he might be looking at bringing in.

Although, I have no idea who CNO will hire, I am 100% positive that he has several people on his short list.

How to address that?
I wish I knew more about Whitesell. Every coach has their area, like Henry did working with the defense. If Whitesell's area of expertise is there, slide him into Charlie's role and look for another?

About the only thing I feel comfortable guessing about is where new coaches come from; not whom. I suspect he'll grab one from a mid-major or a school similar ... sort of mirroring his recruiting philosophies.

Just throwing darts here but...

I could see 2 guys being hired that have similar résumés, as Henry and Hodgson... a guy with pro experience for the defensive side, and a younger, up and coming coach from a much smaller school, who can be a dynamic recruiter, to fill Hodgson's spot. One thing about Oats that is a little different from those of his mold (former HS coaches who shoot up the ranks to a major college job), he isn't all that protective of his system. He has always, and still does, go out and visit with other coaches and have them come visit with him... trading ideas, trying to improve his system on both ends, etc. He has a lot of contacts, especially for a younger coach. Could absolutely see him bringing in 2 guys that 99% of Bama fans have never heard of, but those 2 guys could also be the 2 guys that he most wants and ultimately needs.

Also, 0% chance Oats ends up at Kentucky (not a dart).

Back
Top Bottom