| GAME THREAD Alabama vs Texas ~

As with any one game the media and fans easily over react. Let it play out and see the coaching staff do their magic and coach the team up. Then let the chips fall where they may. My bet is on CNS....

After actually getting to sit down today, been a busy week. I watched over the condensed film. Hard because Fox has some terrible angles but their defense was called incredibly accurately. Another issue I noticed was their DBs were getting away with murder. Grabbing and fighting 10-15 yards down the field. A lot of man defense was played, but when they played zone Bryce was picking them apart for the most part.

The O-line wasn't as terrible as people think. I think the one glaring issue was that on a few run plays they were pushed back into the back-field. They need to be faster off the blocks but the playclock kept getting near 1 and with the obvious silent counts they were at a slight disadvantage. In pass pro, they weren't that bad, they blocked mostly correctly it's just that Texas constantly blitzed defenders off the edge and held receivers until pressure was created. Or, the RB or QB just missed the blocking scheme. On one play in the earlier part of the game a LB lined up just left of Center and Bryce didn't point him out or adjust protection and the OL took their respective people instead of sliding inside 1 man. Hat on a hat is the issue with the run game. It seemed not bad, but we didn't do a good enough job of pushing them off the ball and creating solid running lanes.

WR needs to step up, they were definitely being held quite a bit in man coverage but if you beat your defender off the line or before you make a break then he can't hold you going into that break. A lot of times they ran directly into the coverage and then tried to break on the ball with a defender dragging behind holding their waist or jerseys. Hard to create separation if you put yourself in that position, need to just have better football sense.

Offensive play calling wasn't bad for the first or 2nd drive it's much like a team that has success with something but then stops doing what they had success with. We just went away from our original gameplan. We didn't adjust to the constant blitzes and heavy pressure on the WR early in routes. Perhaps a fake WR screen like last week to a streaking fake blocker would've been an easy 6 points. Their safeties weren't but 10 yards down the field most of the game. A few screens on their heavy blitzes would've slowed those guys down a little more and just not abandoning the run would've allowed for some more open WR for the play action options. We also refused to do any RPO passes which I think should've given us some good yardage and better 3rd down situations. Too many 3rd and 6+, we just weren't getting the yardage on 1st and 2nd we should've

Defense attempted to adjust multiple times but we just did not match-up well and we kept putting our guys in 1 v 1 situations. I felt with the max protect, we should've probably dropped more players and forced tighter windows. Play calling wasn't bad at adjusting here and there but could've been better

On defense, as I stated in the game thread..they just played Max Protect and tried to have 3 receivers find pockets in our zones. Looking at that we needed to be man, but we didn't have an answer for Worthy in man, they kept putting him in places against Khyree Jackson and he kept getting burned. Other than that, mostly they used the soft spots of the zones and a lot of turn around and options routes.

Back
Top Bottom