| GAME THREAD Alabama vs Texas ~

Serious question. Would you feel the same way if the product started to resemble something out of the Dubose/Fran/Shula days? Not necessarily losing seasons of 3-8 or 4-9. But what if Saban had a couple of 8-4 or even 7-5 years and the Birmingham Bowl was the ceiling? Would the fan base on the whole not start to get a little....restless and wonder if CNS had hung around a tad too long? In such a scenario, I don't see the fan base giving even Saban a pass just based off of previous success.

I'll be completely blown away if CNS ever has less than a 10 win season. And he has been very clear that he will hang it up if he feels he can't get the job done (I assume a job that has teams competing for a NC every year).

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. UT was ready to play. They are probably a lot better this year than last years team. Much improved in Sark's second year just like Saban's second year.

Also, it is very apparent to me that the offensive game plan was to ground & pound UT so we could manage the clock & pulverize their defense in that heat. It backfired because they had a much improved DL vs our new OL. And we all know the OL regressed last year even with the beast of a LT in Evan Neal. We don't have that this year but it may be that we have a better OL as a whole if we can get some solid coaching. Once we adjusted the game plan, we were able to do fairly well with 188 yards in the the 4th quarter. As good as Patterson's defensive game plan was, it is almost impossible to contain Bryce Young... What's even more crazy about Bryce Young is that there at least 2 sacks that he should have just taken off. We all know that kid presses to make a pass than take off on a run. But I think that is changing more. He's already got more rushing yards this year than ALL of last year.

We weren't Notre Dame, Texas aTm, Florida, or Wisconsin this past Saturday and I'm pretty sure we played a much better team (with the exception of UF), than all of them, on the road, and won..... bet they all wished they could play that shitty and still hang a "W" on a power 5 team at their home..... that's about all I've got to say about that. :sneaky: :)

So many people giving Sark all the credit, but the difference in this game for them was "special assistant" Gary Patterson and his defensive gameplan.

I agree Patterson had a hand in their defensive schematics, but Sarkesian knows where we have trouble. He saw it every day in practice for a couple of years. He knew hitting us on the boundary and right behind our backers over the middle is where we have been soft for YEARS. He did an excellent job of keeping us from turning it up on him. I was surprised though that he didn't maintain the same game plan for Card, as he is every bit as good as Ewers. Although with his leg hurting I think he knew the task would be impossible, but surprised he still dialed it back.

Sark was within a hair of beating Alabama with a backup QB. I think he's getting pretty deserved share of the credit.
Sark scored 19 points - not exactly prolific. The back-up QB was a highly related 4-star and played just as well as the starter.
He was within a hair specifically because of his defense. They forced like 6 straight 3 and outs, and had another 4 and out mixed in there. They constantly got right back on the field.
Exactly - their D did a brilliant job of shutting us down and giving the ball back to Sark's offense. As you said, 6 three and outs with another 4 and out. Lots of opportunities for Sark's O, but they put up 19.

15 penatlies kills a lot of momentum. No way this isn't as a minimum cut in half going forward. Anyone doubt that will be the case? None of that is talent that is all discipline which will get corrected.

Interesting stat I saw last night bama had something like 170ish yards in the first half and Texas 220 or so. 2nd half flipped Tx had 150ish and Bama had 200 ish. Of course a big chunk of the 200 ish came in the 4th quarter. Most yards by Bama cam in two quarters the 1st and 4th.

Let history be your guide - this team will improve througout the year.

SIAP

But I did notice this happening at the time. Allstate net behind goal just happens to start raising as he kicks the ball.

I'm glad someone besides me brought up the turf. Both teams slipping all over the place, but definitely Alabama more and it hurt us especially on that 4th down run by McClellan.

Anyone else felt that burnt orange on the field look closer to Crimson than orange?

Hell...some aint giving him a pass with a win over a motivated team...

Bama fanbase restless over just winning the SEC and not a NC...

Nick isnt gonna have a 8-4 or 7-5...period... to much talent...

I remember same stupid reaction with Ws vs ole ms and giving 40+ points...up

This was a crap game with a lot of "rat poison". Period. Sark did a great job...assistant to Sark been game planning for 3 months ....so was said

When you are Alabama...better be ready..
Preach Brother!!!

Sark scored 19 points - not exactly prolific. The back-up QB was a highly related 4-star and played just as well as the starter.

Exactly - their D did a brilliant job of shutting us down and giving the ball back to Sark's offense. As you said, 6 three and outs with another 4 and out. Lots of opportunities for Sark's O, but they put up 19.

"Played just as well as the starter." There is zero chance we were watching the same game if you really believe that. Ewers threw for 134 yards in two drives, Card threw for 158 yards in three and 3/4 quarters. Texas gained 142 yards and 10 points in his only two drives. Meanwhile, their offense gained 229 yards and nine points for the rest of the game combined. How in the world could you possibly think he played "just as well" as Ewers?

"Played just as well as the starter." There is zero chance we were watching the same game if you really believe that. Ewers threw for 134 yards in two drives, Card threw for 158 yards in three and 3/4 quarters. Texas gained 142 yards and 10 points in his only two drives. Meanwhile, their offense gained 229 yards and nine points for the rest of the game combined. How in the world could you possibly think he played "just as well" as Ewers?
You "literally" ignored the main point conveniently. The main point was about Sark and how "HE" was within a hair of beating Saban. Well, "He" only scored 19 points. It was their defense that was within a hair of beating Saban.

PS - Ewers stats were nicely padded by a 46 yard completion without which he would've been under 100 yards and he had the benefit of the first series of scripted plays. Card came in and was not given the opportunity to throw early. He managed the game perfectly with no turnovers and leading the team to 16 of their 19 points. It's literally not just about passing yards.

You "literally" ignored the main point conveniently. The main point was about Sark and how "HE" was within a hair of beating Saban. Well, "He" only scored 19 points. It was their defense that was within a hair of beating Saban.

PS - Ewers stats were nicely padded by a 46 yard completion without which he would've been under 100 yards and he had the benefit of the first series of scripted plays. Card came in and was not given the opportunity to throw early. He managed the game perfectly with no turnovers and leading the team to 16 of their 19 points. It's literally not just about passing yards.
PS - Ewers stats were nicely padded by a 46 yard completion without which he would've been under 100 yards and he had the benefit of the first series of scripted plays.

I
agree. A player’s performance always continues through 4 quarters.🙄
Using this line of thinking, Jase McClellan would have had 400 yards rushing if we’d have given him a few more carries in the last 3 quarters.

LMAO what? "Without that bomb he threw where he torched the secondary his stats wouldn't have looked as good." That is an insane comment. So, can we say that for Alabama, too then? Without Jase's 81-yard run, Alabama gained a total of 80 yards rushing. You really wanna go that route? I also like that you conveniently gave Card the credit for a TD in which he came in after Ewers drove them inside the 5, and just turned around and handed it off lol

LMAO what? "Without that bomb he threw where he torched the secondary his stats wouldn't have looked as good." That is an insane comment. So, can we say that for Alabama, too then? Without Jase's 81-yard run, Alabama gained a total of 80 yards rushing. You really wanna go that route? I also like that you conveniently gave Card the credit for a TD in which he came in after Ewers drove them inside the 5, and just turned around and handed it off lol
Sure, you can say whatever you like. I must say, you've been skillfully and persistently deft at dodging the primary point and misdirecting. Politics would likely be most profitable for you! ;)

Using this line of thinking, Jase McClellan would have had 400 yards rushing if we’d have given him a few more carries in the last 3 quarters
Don't see the 400 yards but I shure would have liked to have seen him get more carries than he did past 1st qtr.

Without Jase's 81-yard run, Alabama gained a total of 80 yards rushing
There is something to learn from that. Big plays can skew the real flow of a game. Give me 200 yards rushing with 6.9 ypc.

Actually...stats often say nothing...except the stat itself
Agree, one stat…20-19….it ain’t a beauty contest, if this had been the NC game, guess what? We would have another one in the trophy case. Sure, as fans we critique the games, it’s part of the fun, but sometimes we need to realize that we aren’t the coaches/HC and need to just stay in our lane. I don’t see how in the hell you can question a man that has 7 NC’s…shit, if people that didn’t do what we do for our jobs did this to us, most of us would probably be unemployed. :p

Back
Top Bottom