| BSB/SB Alabama Softball Begins Spring Practice Schedule

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Staff
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – With the spring semester underway and opening day just over three weeks away, Alabama softball began its spring preseason practice schedule this week at Rhoads Stadium.

"It's been seven or eight weeks since we've seen them on the field," UA head coach Patrick Murphy said. "It was around the Tuesday before Thanksgiving break the last time we were together as a team. It was just the way the schedule worked out with dead week, finals and then Christmas break."

Last week, the team held its first team meeting on Tuesday and had morning weights each of the next few days before its first team practice on Sunday. Monday's holiday allowed the team to practice twice, focusing on fundamentals, team defense and hitting while the pitchers participated in bullpen sessions.

"So far I've been really happy with everybody," Murphy said. "They had three running and weight workouts last week and one big individual workout session before we started Sunday afternoon.

This is one of the easiest teams I've ever had to coach. They understand servant-leadership and what it means to be on a team. I've been really impressed with all of them and the freshman have bought in from day one, which is always a big key."

The Crimson Tide return 14 players from last year's team, including All-American pitcher Sydney Littlejohn and SEC All-Freshman catcher Reagan Dykes. New additions to the team this season include freshmen Elissa Brown (Eclectic, Ala.), Gabby Callaway (San Diego, Calif.), Bailey Hemphill (Lafayette, La.) and Claire Jenkins (Cullman, Ala.).

Last season, Alabama made its 11th Women's College World Series appearance, finishing sixth nationally with a 51-14 record. The Tide coaching staff was named the NFCA South Region Coaching Staff of the Year for the 10th time in program history, led by head coach Patrick Murphy who enters his 19th season at the helm of the team this year.

The Tide opens its 2017 season at the Kickin' Chicken Classic in Conway, S.C. on Feb. 10-12, facing Towson, Coastal Carolina and Youngstown State. Alabama's home opener will take place the following Wednesday, Feb. 15 against South Alabama at 5 p.m. CT.

Alabama Softball Begins Spring Practice Schedule

My .02 says Dykes will be an All-American before she leaves. She didn't play like a freshman in the regionals.
There's a frosh, Bailey Hemphill, who I'm expecting to give Dykes some rest this season. But, more importantly, I think she's going to fit that EP role.

As Coach Murph mentions in the T-town news article the outfield is where my attention lies this spring. I expect Dare to return to the outfield and then Brown, Schroeder, and Callaway compete to fill the remaining slot(s.)

Back
Top Bottom