| NEWS Alabama self-reports 19 secondary violations

M

Matt Zenitz |

Alabama sports teams self-reported 19 secondary NCAA violations during the 2015-16 calendar year, according to information posted on Alabama's athletics website Sunday night.

The football team self-reported five secondary violations.

The most interesting violation stemmed from a trophy being "temporarily placed in an area where prospects taking an official visit would be."

That "resulted in an impermissible recruiting decoration of an area."

The other self-reported violations were a former player providing free training to a current player, a coach calling a prospect for a second time during a week and coaches sending text messages to prospects.

The men's basketball team self-reported two secondary violations.

One of the violations was a men's basketball coach retweeting multiple posts on Twitter that "mentioned specific non-institutional athletics events and prospective student-athletes' teams" during the July evaluation period.

Last edited by a moderator:
AAU I'm thinking. Which makes me wonder if it was Scott Pospichal.
From sk33tr's link.

•Coach exchanged pleasantries and posted a picture to his Twitter account with an assistant coach of an AAU team on the day of a contest for the team.
•The institution will reduce the number of recruiting days by four (from 130 to 126) during the 2016-2017 academic year.

Some interesting violations in there.

Who didn't know Bama won the NC? A trophy in the wrong place makes a kid ineligible?

I've seen several speculate this was the NC trophy. I'm thinking it wasn't. If the NC is a NCAA sanctioned event, as in recognized by the body, the trophy shouldn't be against the rules, right?

I'm thinking it was the Heisman. Not that this makes any more sense ...

I've seen several speculate this was the NC trophy. I'm thinking it wasn't. If the NC is a NCAA sanctioned event, as in recognized by the body, the trophy shouldn't be against the rules, right?

I'm thinking it was the Heisman. Not that this makes any more sense ...

The NCAA doesn't officially sanction the CFP NC. So I don't think your logic is correct (besides the statement that it makes no sense).

Who didn't know Bama won the NC? A trophy in the wrong place makes a kid ineligible?

View attachment 5839

Silly rules. It's similar in nature to USCe (if recall correctly) reporting a minor violation for icing a cake. They could provide the cake to recruits on the trip but couldn't have specific icing decorations for the recruits.

I don't think showing the trophy was at issue. It was the rearranging of its placement just for their sake regardless of what the trophy was.

It does now with the playoffs. I"m fairly sure of that. Am I wrong?
It is run by the playoff committee, not the NCAA. FBS football is still the only sport that is not sanctioned by the NCAA, since they have no control over scheduling, bowl games, title games. All of that comes under the individual schools, conferences and playoff committee.

Icing a cake? That's more ridiculous than this trophy crap.

@TUSKstuff made a point...Is taking a recruit to the Bryant Museum a secondary violation? If not, then what's the difference? If it is, what kind of a dumbass rule is that?

Back
Top Bottom