| NEWS Alabama, Gonzaga men's basketball teams to appear on trading cards - On3

B

Bama News

Alabama and Gonzaga men’s basketball players have agreed to respective trading card deals with ONIT Marketing through the use of their names, images and likenesses. Both programs will be featured in 10,000 packs of trading cards, which will retail for $12.99.

“We’re just rolling out Gonzaga right now,” ONIT Marketing co-founder Sheridan Hodson said Monday in a phone interview. “The packs are coming off our printers actually right as we’re talking.”

The packs featuring the Bulldogs will be available this week. Hodson said the Crimson Tide’s trading card packs will likely be available in the middle of next week.

ONIT Marketing CEO Chad McCloud said nine players in the Alabama trading card series will be considered signature players.

“We’ll have two cards for all nine signature guys, a regular card and a signature card,” McCloud said. “We’re looking to have a coach card and a mascot standard card, a mascot metallic, kind of special card and then I really want to do like a Quinerly brothers duo card.”

Fifth-year senior guard Jahvon Quinerly leads Alabama’s reserves with 18.3 minutes per game, while junior guard Jaden Quinerly has appeared in 10 games this season.

ONIT Marketing has worked with the recently announced NIL collective Yea Alabama, the university’s “official name, image and likeness entity,” for the Crimson Tide’s trading cards. The company had previously worked with the now-defunct collective High Tide Traditions, which supported Alabama athletes’ NIL opportunities but whose website and social media accounts are now offline with the launch of Yea Alabama.

McCloud said ONIT Marketing had a call scheduled this week with Rosauers Supermarkets regarding the distribution of the Gonzaga men’s basketball trading card packs. The trading cards will also be available online.

Yea Alabama is assisting ONIT Marketing with finding local retail partners, according to McCloud.

“Our deals are almost identical,” Hodson said. “We try to pay the athletes $4 a pack [total].”

McCloud said Gonzaga’s players have already been paid, even though the trading cards are still in production.

Want some NASCAR cards? 😈

Gah, don't even get me started on Nascar and the fued it got my family and me into. It went something like this, buy a condo at Atlanta Motor Speedway, or buy a golf cabin at Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee. What is the better investment? The small minded people lost out on that decision and have been at odds with me ever since.

1- Neil Bonnett... my guess anyway. Pretty sure the Allison's are from Florida and I know Bonnett was from Hueytown.

Aw hell... I forgot Bubba Wallace. 😬 ;)
Yep, and although he's from Tennessee, Red Farmer was living in Florida when he called Bobby and told him a guy might be able to make a living racing in Alabama. Bobby was a Miami redneck, they weren't noticeably different from their panhandle brethren in that day, hanging sheetrock and decided he'd either make it racing or go hungry. Actually did both.

One of my favorite stories was when Bobby won a Saturday night feature race in NC, I believe Hickory, and when the announcer and press guy were talking to him after the race, one of them noted "this is the greatest coincidence. They guy who won the feature race in Memphis last night was named Bobby Allison." Allison replied, "that would be me." He had won the Memphis race, hitched up his race car on a tow bar behind his vehicle, and pulled it all night on the roads of that day (no interstates of course) and gotten to Hickory in time for time trials, qualified, won a heat and then the feature.

In the late 60's into '72 or so, Bobby would still drop down to the short tracks and run feature races with his NASCAR vehicles to pick up extra money. Spun my Dad out at Dixie in Midfield, said he was the dirtiest driver he ever raced, nothing but the chrome horn.

Reminds me of the Whiskey Myers line in The Wolf - "you're playing for fun, I'm playing to eat".

Back
Top Bottom