| NEWS Alabama Football Coach Nick Saban On When He Will Retire - Sports Illustrated

B

Bama News

Alabama football coach Nick Saban has been the nearly-undisputed ruler of college football for the better part of 15 years, but nothing lasts forever.

Saban comes into the 2023 season at 71 years of age and is aware that he's closer to the end of his time on the sideline than to the beginning.

But the seven-time national champion (six at Alabama) hasn't made any plans about when he will step away, though he did acknowledge that he doesn't want to "ride the program down."

Nick Saban addresses retirement
"I basically love what I do," Saban told Stephen A. Smith.

"I love the relationships with the players. I love trying to build a team with a group of people. Now that's a lot of fun, and I enjoy doing that.

"I'm also very aware that I don't want to ever ride the program down. In other words, there's going to come a time when my age and my circumstance, everybody's going to be able to tell somebody where he's not gonna be there.

"I mean, 'How long is he going to coach? Til he's 90? And that will start to affect the program maybe in an adverse way. I don't want to get there."

Alabama still on top​

Nothing indicates that he or Alabama are "there" yet. Saban just signed the consensus No. 1 football recruiting class and is expected to once again start the season near the top of the official football rankings.

But the Crimson Tide also suffered some notable problems on both sides of the ball a year ago, going 11-2 and missing the College Football Playoff.

And in the meantime, Georgia has emerged as college football's latest budding dynasty, winning two straight national championships.

This season will provide Alabama another opportunity to show the world it still belongs in the conversation as Saban nears the end of his career.

I see no one out there I want to take his position or that I feel comfortable with right now leading our program. Hoping he can get a legit guy on his hip in the next year or two and groom him to take the reins in about five years.

Whoever comes in after Saban will be on the hotseat as soon as he drops a game he isn't supposed to. Which is to say, pretty much ANY game. There is a saying. You don't want to follow the legendary coach. You want to follow the one who follows the legendary coach

Whoever comes in after Saban will be on the hotseat as soon as he drops a game he isn't supposed to. Which is to say, pretty much ANY game. There is a saying. You don't want to follow the legendary coach. You want to follow the one who follows the legendary coach
Same thing happened when the Bear stepped down. Coaches like Saban and Bear are such strong chiefs/leaders when they are gone it leaves a huge leadership hole. You have a lot of support folks around but not prgroam level leaders. Hope CNS has a great succession plan in place.

Ron Zook and Ray Perkins are in your Amen corner on this one.
Perk was great recruiter. Just didnt like it. And bama would have been fine if he wouldnt have gone outta his way to piss people off....

And have such a friend as a owner at TB...and taken Bennett instead of the QB ( Kosar i think) he took
( already had steve young)...

My memory of the way it was anyway

97E0A496-2CB0-46F5-AE15-092C49F4ACDD.png

Back
Top Bottom