| NEWS Alabama AD Greg Byrne gets big raise, extension- AL.com

Seems like you're minimizing a person's ability to give the University $2000 and being able to write off $1600 of that. That's significant.

Using your numbers, someone donating $5MM of a $200MM worth is the same as someone donating $10,000 with a net worth of $400k. 2.5% is a significant donation to give without a deduction.

Hell, I can tell you this, I'd be hard pressed to give 2.5% of my net worth away and not expecting some kind of write-off.

Those were just talking points. My point was that $5M is immaterial to these people. Taking away a small tax break isn't causing them to go elsewhere. They support their team and get to brag about their posh surroundings. I'm sure Byrne got some No answers, but I read where there was a waiting list of folks for those boxes, so I stand by the fact that a tax break was of no concern to the 1%ers. And I would think those tax breaks were limited to a certain amount, just like any other tax break has a cap. On top of it all, most of these people live through investments, meaning they may not itemize, which is what you have to do to write these taxes off. There have been times I took standard deductions and dis not write my tax breaks off.

Let's not forget that donations are no longer considered charitable donations. That's a huge deal if you ask me.
A very big deal and that's one of the things I was considering. It's not where near as simple as "here's a group of names. Go."

@BamaFan334 How many AD's are going to fire a guy after one season? How many AD's have you seen fire a guy after one season? We're in the midst of seeing the backlash over FSU firing Taggart after two seasons and for him to make that judgment, and that move, so quickly was impressive in my book. He saw an issue and resolved said issue. That's a win especially given the climate and time span.

Battle would not have fired Goff. I say that knowing he wasn't really receptive to the idea of a change that quickly even with groups like the Grand Slammers raising three kinds of hell.

I've seen what Coach Bo has done since he's been in Tuscaloosa. I know his track record having followed him from afar from years. All I can suggest is "let it play out." You'll see what I'm talking about here.

There's several things you've voiced here I agree with. As example, the job Avery did off the court. He did bring the fan base back together; only to lose it in the end. I don't see any other choice at the point he left Tuscaloosa. And, let's remember, that's as much Avery leaving as much as it is the program needing to move to another level.

Dana? She's had a rough time the last two years and hasn't had any breaks—other than bones—go her way. There's another sports program I've followed closely and I'm not sold on what she brings. But, knowing Patterson? I have to step away there. She knows what she's doing?

It's of interest you mention the golf programs and yes they haven't been as competitive this past season. However, if we just take the women, three of their starting five turned pro mid-season. The same attrition we've seen in the men's side. That's beyond a coach or AD's control.

Look at Auburn and what they are willing to do. Didn't their boosters come up with the funds to buy Gus out?
By boosters are you talking about the GoFundMe site? Or, are you referring to a single booster, Rane?

There are a group of boosters that were willing to cough up money for the buyout of Malzahn—in Arkansas. Outside of that group I've only heard of the two mentioned above. There may be more involved there. Auburn's money and coaching searches aren't something I follow seriously; remotely at best when the coach still has his job. The Arkansas group has been interesting because there actually is a group raising funds and they had interest in Gus before Morris.

By boosters are you talking about the GoFundMe site? Or, are you referring to a single booster, Rane?

There are a group of boosters that were willing to cough up money for the buyout of Malzahn—in Arkansas. Outside of that group I've only heard of the two mentioned above. There may be more involved there. Auburn's money and coaching searches aren't something I follow seriously; remotely at best when the coach still has his job. The Arkansas group has been interesting because there actually is a group raising funds and they had interest in Gus before Morris.

I want to say I heard a group of Auburn boosters before this year. Hearsay as I am like you and don't follow their program, but thought I heard a group of boosters coming up with the money to get him gone and another guy in there. I had not even heard of the Arkansas boosters saving up for him.

Those were just talking points. My point was that $5M is immaterial to these people. Taking away a small tax break isn't causing them to go elsewhere. They support their team and get to brag about their posh surroundings. I'm sure Byrne got some No answers, but I read where there was a waiting list of folks for those boxes, so I stand by the fact that a tax break was of no concern to the 1%ers. And I would think those tax breaks were limited to a certain amount, just like any other tax break has a cap. On top of it all, most of these people live through investments, meaning they may not itemize, which is what you have to do to write these taxes off. There have been times I took standard deductions and dis not write my tax breaks off.
Small tax break? We're talking they had the ability to deduct 80% and that's been reduced to nothing.

I want to say I heard a group of Auburn boosters before this year. Hearsay as I am like you and don't follow their program, but thought I heard a group of boosters coming up with the money to get him gone and another guy in there. I had not even heard of the Arkansas boosters saving up for him.
I've mentioned the Arkansas group a few times here. You've just missed the mention. No big deal.

On a related note a lot refer to Arkansas money and immediately go to Walmart and the Walton's. The Hunt family is seldom mentioned.

You don't get a net worth of $200MM giving away 2.5% away...they're always angling for the tax breaks. Now us middle class are the dumb ones...we spend our money frivolously all the time.

I would imagine the boxes are going to corporations, who weren't impacted by the new laws...

You don't get a net worth of $200MM giving away 2.5% away...they're always angling for the tax breaks. Now us middle class are the dumb ones...we spend our money frivolously all the time.

I would imagine the boxes are going to corporations, who weren't impacted by the new laws...

I understand they don't have $200M from spending all their money. It all just goes to the point that they are spending it on Alabama football regardless.

Small tax break? We're talking they had the ability to deduct 80% and that's been reduced to nothing.

Was there a limit? I find it hard to believe this was an unlimited break that wasn't capped, or millionaires and billionaires would be funneling multi-million into their alma mater and working all kinds of deals

Back
Top Bottom