| NEWS "A zero sum game." As pointed out months ago, boosters will be left with a choice. Facilities or NIL...and the latter wins.

TerryP

Staff
I didn't expect this story, and its theme, to hit the media this soon.

As soon as we saw the NIL ruling passed I did expect to see school boosters left with a choice. Do we support the NIL, or do we support the facility efforts?

I know I've used the phrase "a zero sum game" a lot: likely more so in conversations about the number of scholarships. (IE: high school recruits would have fewer opportunities with the portal.) As warned we're seeing the zero sum effect more quickly, publicly, than I'm sure many thought when it comes to where the money comes from and more importantly, where it's headed.

Coming on the heels of Byrne announcing the arena plans are on hold, citing 40 year record inflation, this news out of Auburn comes as no shock.

Pearl said the project is being pushed to the backburner for the time being, because Auburn needs to prioritize another aspect of its athletics program first: NIL.

I didn't expect this story, and its theme, to hit the media this soon.

As soon as we saw the NIL ruling passed I did expect to see school boosters left with a choice. Do we support the NIL, or do we support the facility efforts?

I know I've used the phrase "a zero sum game" a lot: likely more so in conversations about the number of scholarships. (IE: high school recruits would have fewer opportunities with the portal.) As warned we're seeing the zero sum effect more quickly, publicly, than I'm sure many thought when it comes to where the money comes from and more importantly, where it's headed.

Coming on the heels of Byrne announcing the arena plans are on hold, citing 40 year record inflation, this news out of Auburn comes as no shock.

I think Bamas new arena project on hold too...

I am not surprised. I predicted this back when the NIL talk first began. The old saying "you can't get blood from a turnip" seems to apply here. Especially in this economy people are forced to make a choice. Also, the next thing that will happen is the players will form unions and go on strike and negotiate collective bargaining agreements. College football is no longer amateur, and there's a cost that comes with that.

Back
Top Bottom