| OT A Slight Rant About Fellow Fans

Guy was just boarding my flight wearing a Bama shirt, I give him a loud "Roll Tide" and he looks at me and just winks. WTF? Happened last week in DC, gave a guy on the metro a "Roll Tide" and he waved. What's happening to our fans? This happens way too often to me. Are these folks really fans? You don't respond to a Roll Tide with a wink or a smile. The dumbing down of Alabama fans... If you don't have the courage to say Roll Tide in public, don't wear the shirt in public.

Sorry, hate getting left hanging like that...

I get that kinda shit all the time when I'm travelling. I've inquired with a few that don't respond with a Roll Tide to find out that they are a parent sending their kid to Alabama and aren't very familiar with the proper etiquette.

It is possible those are fans that have jumped on the band wagon or have become fans recently and are not used to the public show of fandom. I know I give a "Roll Tide" in response when I get one, but I'm in Atlanta and all.

Also, funny story my Sister-in-law is a Gator grad and she was visiting us one year so we went to a local sports bar to watch the game. Gators vs Arkansas (Bama was on a bye) and of course being in Atlanta she is in her Orange/Blue and surrounded by a lot of Dawgs fans. She finally sees another UF fan in a Gator t-shirt and gives him a loud "Go Gators" as he passes by... no response. I felt bad for her deep in hostile territory.

I have gotten a "Yep" or a smile before as well. I always give a second look when I don't get my desired response. I find it funny when I got a Roll Tide from an eight year old girl one time in Biloxi, Mississippi, yet a grown ass man doesn't understand it.

I get that kinda **** all the time when I'm travelling. I've inquired with a few that don't respond with a Roll Tide to find out that they are a parent sending their kid to Alabama and aren't very familiar with the proper etiquette.

I gauge my Roll Tide by the situation, and what I really like is to see a Bama fan dressed in a way that most folks would immediately recognize, particularly out of state, such as an elephant emblem on a polo or slacks or such. If I see that, I'll give them a subdued Roll Tide as I roll past. Sometimes I'll hear "Roll Tide" across a restaurant or bar (much like you recognize your name across a crowded room). I almost always give back a louder Roll Tide then, and it usually gets a response. With our popularity and the fact that half the kids are from out of state, many distant parents aren't familiar with the protocol.

RTR,

Tim

I ALWAYS give a hearty roll tide .. and I am not even from the state.

I have seen at least 2 people here on SU's campus rocking Bama gear, and I have given a friendly ROLL TIDE with a wave and smile. Yanks aren't as friendly though haha I often just get a nod or smile back.

Guy was just boarding my flight wearing a Bama shirt, I give him a loud "Roll Tide" and he looks at me and just winks. WTF? Happened last week in DC, gave a guy on the metro a "Roll Tide" and he waved. What's happening to our fans? This happens way too often to me. Are these folks really fans? You don't respond to a Roll Tide with a wink or a smile. The dumbing down of Alabama fans... If you don't have the courage to say Roll Tide in public, don't wear the shirt in public.

Sorry, hate getting left hanging like that...

Sidenote: You're in DC? I'm moving back in a few months.

Whenever I see or suspect that I am in the proximity of a fellow Bama fan, I will give a dignified "Roll Tide", and the majority of the time I will receive one in kind. I am loathe to give out a hearty yell, as most non-CFB fans won't know what it is, and some that do already think of us Bama fans as Rednecks, or worse, and I won't add to that misconception. I tend to lean towards "WWCNSD".

ROLL TIDE!

A story from this evening. I met my wife for dinner and a drink at a local restaurant chain (kind of a midpoint between Applebees and Houston's) called Marlow's. We're in Kennesaw, GA and sitting outside under their covered area and a very large pickup pulled by to park. It was completely unmarked with any Bama reference on it, except the hitch receiver cover was a straw hat with a very small "A" - a Saban hat. As he walked by, I waived at him and gave him a good Roll Tide and he happily returned it, knowing that his subtle show of Bama loyalty was enough to catch my eye.

RTR,

Tim

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon back in '99 to Hawaii, I wore one of my Bama caps while hiking up Diamondhead. I received a Roll Tide and responded in kind. My wife exclaimed, " everywhere we go, you know someone. Is that what I get for marrying a coach?" To which I replied, " I have no damn clue who that guy was, other than a fan of the greatest school EVER!"

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon back in '99 to Hawaii, I wore one of my Bama caps while hiking up Diamondhead. I received a Roll Tide and responded in kind. My wife exclaimed, " everywhere we go, you know someone. Is that what I get for marrying a coach?" To which I replied, " I have no damn clue who that guy was, other than a fan of the greatest school EVER!"

Nice! I had someone in China give me a roll tide (it was the only time though). They saw my houndstooth A shirt while I was hiking on a more isolated stretch of the Great Wall. Truly amazing the range of the fanbase.

A story from this evening. I met my wife for dinner and a drink at a local restaurant chain (kind of a midpoint between Applebees and Houston's) called Marlow's. We're in Kennesaw, GA and sitting outside under their covered area ...

Man you're close by...we had dinner and drinks there Friday night. I like the description of what Marlow's is though.

Back
Top Bottom