| FTBL A look at Clemson from a Clemson fan (longish)

CU14

Was asked about our team in another thread and realized my answer was quite long so decided to post in a new thread.

This is my semi in depth review of our team and just some thoughts from someone whos watched every minute of every game.

DW4 is our offense. Not taking anything away form Henry (almost 2000 yards in the SEC is ridiculous) but yall probably have 2 more Henry's on your roster. When's the last time yall didn't have an incredible RB? and with your OL they would have put up yards, with out Watson we might go 9-3 maybe. To me he's the most valuable player in the country and why I think he should have won the Hiesmen.

Wayne Gallman is by far the most underrated player on our team. Dude has 1500 yards and no one seems to know who he is. Our OL is underrated too (someone has to be blocking and creating holes for Watson/Gallman)

Our WRs have been by committee this year. We lost our best WR for the season on the very first drive of the season. We have plenty of depth and plenty of guys who can take it the distance on any play but we don't have that Sammy Watkins/Nuk Hopkins/Martavis Bryant type guy this year but everyone we have is more than capable. TE Jordan Leggett is my X factor for this game. He had a TD in either 5 or 6 consecutive games at one point during the season has been MIA recently we need him to show back up.

On D I love our DL and Secondary. We really need Shaq Lawson to play which I think he will. We are decently deep on the DL and have guys who can get after the passer yet are also capable of clogging holes. #42 Christian Wilkins is a true freshman and a grown man. He eats up blocks but is still super athletic (he caught the fake punt for 30 yards)

We have in my opinion the best corner in football. Alexander is a true lock down corner and the most hard working guy on the field. He has said has notes of Sammy and Nuk bc he knows he will see them in the league. His stats are pedestrian he doesn't have many tackles and 0 ints but no one throws his way. Bc of this our other corner has been tested and for the most part answered. Our stafties are 6'3 and 6'5 and run like deer. They get caught out of position at times but bail themselves out with the length and size. Their run support can be average at times though.

LBs are solid but can be spotty. #44 BJ Goodson is a non flash do your job kind of player. He won't jump off the screen but he leads the team in tackles and is more times than not where he needs to be. #10 Ben Boulware is the weak link. I love him (most of the time) he is mean and plays with wreckless abandon. He's just a good ole country bumpkin who wants to hit you hard and often. But I feel like he's a head case he can get out of position and can't barely cover his own shadow in pass coverage but he always seems to be involved in big plays and big times of games so it's hard not to like him.

I'm going to find time to rewatch yall last several games this week. I actually haven't watched yall a whole lot this season. I'm sure it's the same as most years though. Scary good DL. OL who looks like NFL starters and RBs that are freaks. I'm really unaware of your WRs and haven't paid much attention to what Coker has done lately.

I was too busy partying in Miami Thursday night. We are new to this, I had to celebrate. I've only heard stories of 81' now i get to experience. It's awfully fun and I hate you guys (mainly envy you) for getting to do it so often.

I feel like you guys now have more to prepare for than just Henry now. Coker played like an elite QB in the Cotton Bowl, which he had to do considering how MSU loaded the box. Our best WR, Calvin Ridley (assuming he stays healthy and works hard like he has this year), has the potential to be as good as Amari Cooper. Our TE, OJ Howard, who is great but rarely gets the ball had an awakening, as well. I think the offense showed it isn't just about Henry, but we will see if they can repeat that type of performance.

Also, welcome aboard.

:bman:

I was too busy partying in Miami Thursday night. We are new to this, I had to celebrate. I've only heard stories of 81' now i get to experience. It's awfully fun and I hate you guys (mainly envy you) for getting to do it so often.
You might be surprised at the number of fans that have kept an eye on Clemson through the years. We certainly were aware, and watching, in '81 (well, some of us.) A lot us have paid attention to what Dabo has accomplished.

Thanks for your insight.
As I suspected earlier, and based off of your comments, I think our best offense will be Henry getting 35+ carries. I think we'll need to lean on our run game as we did our passing game against MSU.
I'm most concerned that Clemson will have early offensive success and will make Kiffin impatient with the run.
If we grind it out with Henry and our defense, we win. If our offense sputters due to cutesy play-calling and passing inconsistency, and you all score 3+ TDs we may be in trouble.

Should be a really great game. I think Henry's going to need to have over 150 yards rushing to win
I predict:
Alabama 31
Clemson 23

After spending a bit reading the opinions and break-downs from the Clemson sites I've lurked on there's a point (well, more than one, but here's one to start) missed; often.

I agree with anyone who describes Clemson as a unique challenge. They have combinations that other teams don't. But, there's a caveat here, a big one in my opinion.

@CU14 points to Alexander in their secondary as a shut down corner. He's a good one, no doubt. But he's not the first guy who has "league" written all over him. One look at one player in Florida's secondary and it's a wash, immediately. And, fwiw, you didn't see Coker throwing INT's against Florida.

It's very true that Alabama hasn't faced a QB like Watson, but they've seen glimpses of his talents from other QB's like Prescott over at State. What people forget is this team has seen QB's like Watson in the past.

Follow me just a second here ...

2012 brought Johnny on the field and we saw what happened. Still, in the end, a game the Tide could have won. What happened off the field is important to note. The defensive line was talked about often in 2013 and 2014 with people talking about the athleticism, size, and what the future looked like. We're seeing it today with the same sized guys on the line but with that quick hitch, quick step arsenal.
The point is ... a front built to stop your Johnny Football types.

@CU14 When I read your post here, and combine it with my thoughts on Clemson for this game, I keep coming back to "the team has seen that before." I see this game falling directly behind a quote I've heard countless times, "it's all about focusing on the next play."

I consider situations like Watson scrambling and thinking about a deep ball ... but then think about Jackson, his experience, and whether or not he's likely to get suckered into that type of mistake repeatedly. I believe the answer falls to experience.

Experience. Hrrmm. A word I'm seeing pop-up a lot in this thread. We've seen how Clemson and its fan base have handled their experience so far this year. This isn't a game you want to be hyped up going into ...

I agree Gallman is probably the most under rated back in the country. He is an excellentrunning back! Looking forward to playing yall next week. I have always wanted to attend a game at Clemson for many years.

You might be surprised at the number of fans that have kept an eye on Clemson through the years. We certainly were aware, and watching, in '81 (well, some of us.) A lot us have paid attention to what Dabo has accomplished.

The state of Alabama has been kind to my tigers, giving us our 2 most legendary coaches and 1 legend in the making.

Frank Howard was way way way before my time but as a lifer you have to appreciate everything he did for our program. He made us known. He never won a NC but won some big bowls. His overall record isn't anything crazy but because of him we started playing big name programs. Yes we got our butts kicked more often than not but we were a small military/ag school in a small town in SC that no one had ever heard of. Interesting fact of Frank Howard he holds the Clemson record for best baseball coach winning %. He coached 1 season and went 12-3. Also he gave us the Rock, running down the hill, and the infamous words, "If you're not going to give me 110%, you keep your filthy hands off my rock"

Danny Ford (also before my time) really put Clemson on the map. Winning our only championship. I also wasn't alive for his time at Clemson but oddly enough we interact quite often in present day bc of business. He's part owner of a landfill here in upstate SC and my family is in the garbage business. Him and Dabo get compared a lot but I don't see the similarities. Ford is a good ole boy through and through. he's someone I'd like to drink beers with and hear his stories bout the "good ole days". My dad always says Danny Ford would have a chaw in his mouth spitting beach nut in players faces when he was getting on their ass.

Dabo is going to be in the same group as these two guys. He woke us up our of a 20 year slumber. He recruits as good as anyone in the country and the talent we have now is awesome. Even if not this year he's going to get us another NC. How do Bama fans feel about him? Is he a legit option to replace Saban? Personally i don't see it. I think yall go after a way bigger name, also I think he's really happy at Clemson. He gets what he wants. We are building a 62 million dollar 240,000 square ft football operation building which was his idea and dream. It has all the coaches offices, work out centers, film rooms, cafeteria, laser tag, beach volley ball, mini golf, barber shop, basketball courts, and just about anything you can think of. It's crazy and slightly ridiculous. But it's the arms race of college football I guess.

I know 1 girl who went to Clemson with me who's WHOLE family was Bama grads. Both sets of grandparents all aunts and uncles cousins parents everyone. Except her. She is a huge football fan (yall raise your women right out there) she said she loves what Dabo has done at Clemson but would be disappointed if he replaces Saban when he decides to hang it up.

I'm more worried about Watson more than anyone not named Leonard Fournette that we have played this year. Gallman doesn't worry me in the slightest because our line has proven to slow down every back we have seen except for Jalen Hurd in my eyes. We've stopped Fournette, Chubb, Kamara, Auburn's backfield, Kelvin Taylor, and others, so he'should the least of my worries. Watson has the type of game that can hurt us and it worries me if he gets it going with his feet. We have been bend but don't break in the secondary all year allowing a few deep throws a game, yet we end up standing tall and allow few points.

As far as our offense, I think we go back to the run as stated earlier by someone. Wear Clemson down and force them to tackle a 240 pound beast in Henry, then force them to run after a 4.4 Drake. The Clemson defense stacks up like a few we have played this year and I think we need to focus on wearing them down and letting the 4th quarter program take over. After all, it is the reason we decided to open the check book to retain Scott Cochran.

In the end, it's going to be a fun game. I think it starts out slow like the Orange Bowl did where both teams swap scores, but in the end I'mean excited to see if Clemson's conditioning can keep up with the conditioning we know our team has.

I'll be convinced when I see Clemson OLINE block alabama with any consistency... to me, Clemson kinda looks like a loose baby diaper --- its cute and it works well until it's faced with some real s**t... then it starts stinking.

I can't argue this. I haven't been sold on our oline all year but they keep getting the job done. It helps having Deshaun he avoids 2 or 3 sacks a game.

I know for a fact we will not be able to line up and just run the ball. No one can on yall. I think we get a heavy dose of WRs screens at the beginning and a lot of "eye candy" and misdirection runs. Most important we need to play fast. Tempo. Tempo. Tempo. It's the best way I see us negating y'all's advantage upfront.

I can't argue this. I haven't been sold on our oline all year but they keep getting the job done. It helps having Deshaun he avoids 2 or 3 sacks a game.

I know for a fact we will not be able to line up and just run the ball. No one can on yall. I think we get a heavy dose of WRs screens at the beginning and a lot of "eye candy" and misdirection runs. Most important we need to play fast. Tempo. Tempo. Tempo. It's the best way I see us negating y'all's advantage upfront.

The way I see y'all beating us is if Watson gets mobile and is as accurate as he can be. Hit a few deep passes that get points and a few scrambles for first downs in a third and long type situation. Clemson is totally capable of this, but I have to admit our defense doesn't allow much room for error. After the Ole Miss loss I think we closed the gap even more with the focus and the leadership this team has. I think Clemson gives us more of a game than Michigan State did. Beating Oklahoma shows your boys have a hell of a shit as I assumed Oklahoma would run through y'all and was the one team that worried me.

The way I see y'all beating us is if Watson gets mobile and is as accurate as he can be. Hit a few deep passes that get points and a few scrambles for first downs in a third and long type situation. Clemson is totally capable of this, but I have to admit our defense doesn't allow much room for error. After the Ole Miss loss I think we closed the gap even more with the focus and the leadership this team has. I think Clemson gives us more of a game than Michigan State did. Beating Oklahoma shows your boys have a hell of a **** as I assumed Oklahoma would run through y'all and was the one team that worried me.

Not going to lie, I was pissed we had OU first. I felt we got shafted being the #1 team and getting a tougher opponent. I even bought into the OU mumbo jumbo the talking heads were spouting off(it's hard not too after a month of hearing it). I thought we'd have to score 40+ to win. I'm hoping it's the same. No one will pick Clemson this week. It will be all Bama and probably deservingly so. I'm hoping to shock the world one more time.

. I felt we got shafted being the #1 team and getting a tougher opponent. I even bought into the OU mumbo jumbo the talking heads were spouting off(it's hard not too after a month of hearing it).

I have to disagree with you on both points. Well, not that you "bought in" to what was being said: I've no control over that.

I know I pointed it out. I know that a lot of other members called a time-out in discussions about OU. To say the least, there's a good number of folks here that have developed an immunity to what was said before the game pointing to this season as evidence it was wrong. IE: OU's offensive prowess when Big defenses were giving up 450 yards per game in conference match-ups. Or, the OU defense when they'd been playing against second and third string QB's in their "gauntlet" of games.

No one will pick Clemson this week.

Some will. They'll point to 2010, or 2012 (AU and A&M) and claim "Saban's Kryptonite" all the ignoring other aspects of those games.

The state of Alabama has been kind to my tigers, giving us our 2 most legendary coaches and 1 legend in the making.
I'm a little surprised you didn't mention "the Honorable Thief" here.

Much like people who don't follow Alabama but quickly recognize the team due to the uniforms, people see the Tiger Paw an automatically think "Clemson."

I'm a little surprised you didn't mention "the Honorable Thief" here.

Much like people who don't follow Alabama but quickly recognize the team due to the uniforms, people see the Tiger Paw an automatically think "Clemson."
The only time you saw the Paws was 1981 on the side of the Clemson helmet. Afterward it was all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom