| NEWS ‘A long time coming:’ The rebuild of Alabama women’s soccer has led to history

I found this article over the weekend. It's a little old with the #11 ranking (Tide is at #6 now.)
---

The current Alabama women’s soccer season has brought some extra attention to head coach Wes Hart.

He’s been stopped by people on campus and contacted by media members and friends. The message from them is consistent. They see the Crimson Tide’s 8-1-1 record in his seventh year as an “overnight success.” The truth is “quite the opposite.”

Hart left his assistant role at Florida State, after a national championship, for Tuscaloosa in 2015 and won five games in his inaugural season. Alabama made its third NCAA tournament in 2017 and won a game in the postseason last year. The 2022 squad was built on continuity and has resulted in history.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Hart said. “The amount of work we’ve put into this program, getting the culture right, our training habits that are now being seen on the field. ... We’re kind of reaping the benefits of that now.”

The No. 11 Crimson Tide has its highest-ever ranking. It hasn’t lost in nearly a month and has beaten three-ranked squads with an offense that’s ninth in the country in shots per game (21.1) and a defense — led by goalie McKinley Crone and defender Sasha Pickard — which has yielded just five goals in 10 games.

Alabama has thrived under a high-pressure scheme that limits the chances opposing forwards get to touch the ball. It’s been made possible by returning everyone from last year’s team, including 11 seniors and fifth-year players. Through collegiate rules, coaches can sub throughout the 90 minutes and Hart has taken advantage. Sixteen players have recorded at least 340 minutes.

“The level doesn’t drop,” Hart said, “so we’re able to continue that high press.”

Riley Mattingly Parker and Kat Rogers have been at the heart of the program’s revival. Both Texas natives and grad students, Parker said the two have forged a “lifelong friendship.” Parker, leading the attack with seven goals, and Rogers, a midfielder, both wear the captain’s armbands. Still, Hart said Alabama could’ve added more and discussed as much in the offseason.

Parker has converted opportunities at a 65% clip a year after missing last season because of a torn ACL. She deferred the credit of her stellar year to her teammates. She tabbed Felicia Knox the “Kevin de Bruyne of the SEC,” comparing the junior to one of the world’s best midfielders. Hart also called first-year forward Gianna Paul “one of the fastest players in the country,” — he even joked about keeping the New Yorker away from the Tide’s track coaches.

The next test will come in conference play, which begins Sept. 22 at Tennessee, the preseason favorites. Alabama went 5-4-1 a year ago against the SEC, though the standard is higher now. The Crimson Tide will have a chance to continue a run that’s shocked some but was seen coming by those within the program.

“Every single SEC team that we’re gonna play this season, I can think about a rough game that we’ve had in the past,” Parker said. “The chip is big enough to motivate us for every game.”

This success has indeed been a very long time coming. Bama soccer has been the equivalent of Mizzou football for so long. Even when Bama had a Dutch international who played for Holland in the World Cup, it was still an excitingly average program. Then to see this:

Parker has...tabbed Felicia Knox the “Kevin de Bruyne of the SEC,”

giphy.gif
That's quite a lofty comparison!

This success has indeed been a very long time coming.
This degree of success is likely fleeting.

Coach Hart has done a great job with the ladies, no doubt. But personally, I look at this season with cautious optimism for the future.

Of the 30 on the roster, seven are graduate students and another six of the ladies are seniors.

While I haven't looked to be sure, I have my doubts we'll see the Tide play this week. They're scheduled to be in Athens Friday night and if forecasts hold true they'll be playing in a monsoon.

This degree of success is likely fleeting.

Coach Hart has done a great job with the ladies, no doubt. But personally, I look at this season with cautious optimism for the future.

Of the 30 on the roster, seven are graduate students and another six of the ladies are seniors.

While I haven't looked to be sure, I have my doubts we'll see the Tide play this week. They're scheduled to be in Athens Friday night and if forecasts hold true they'll be playing in a monsoon.

I agree. I'm really hoping this is a starting point. Good recruiting or...great use of the portal, which Hart has done.

Back
Top Bottom