| OT A Guns Thread

So, who the fuck are you? This is too specific for a casual. Love it.
This is one of those replies that get bookmarked in the back of my brain.

Take a mental picture of a guy sayin', "Aight."
In response to my post. Best practices for carrying while in contact with the police, disclose that you have a weapon.

Meaning, for example on a traffic stop. Tell them that you have a firearm. In most cases, the stop will go much smoother. Obviously, know your concealed carry laws for whatever state. Alabama's concealed carry laws have changed as recently as 2022. A permit isn't required while carrying concealed. But, carrying on private property not your own can pose a problem if the pp owner doesn't approve. Just know the law.

In response to my post. Best practices for carrying while in contact with the police, disclose that you have a weapon.

Meaning, for example on a traffic stop. Tell them that you have a firearm. In most cases, the stop will go much smoother. Obviously, know your concealed carry laws for whatever state. Alabama's concealed carry laws have changed as recently as 2022. A permit isn't required while carrying concealed. But, carrying on private property not your own can pose a problem if the pp owner doesn't approve. Just know the law.
If they don’t ask.. I don’t tell.. I have seen too many scream for help or go nuts by a someone being honest…In my Jeep I have two under seat gun safes..I place the gun in and lock it.. a passenger, of mine, will do the same thing….If the first question they ask you is “ do you have a gun in the car?”.. that is a violation of your fifth amendment rights… you do not have to answer any incriminating question.. that garbage about putting the gun where someone can see it would get you arrested, several years ago… especially with the old law that we had an Alabama.. when the gun crossed the plane into a vehicle. It was considered a “concealed weapon” at that time… I have actually walked up to a car and someone handed me their pistol (trying to be honest)… which I have given them a good counseling about afterwards..
If they ask to search my car… I ask “can I go search your house?”… NEVER GIVE CONSENT TO SEARCH!!…
FWIW… unfortunately, a lot of police officers hate anybody “but police officers”, owning and carrying firearms…And they make it their main mission to get guns of of your hands… now that’s not all of them!… some are very pro-gun like me, but they are a few and far between..

Last edited:
If they don’t ask.. I don’t tell.. I have seen too many scream for help or go nuts by a someone being honest…In my Jeep I have two under seat gun safes..I place the gun in and lock it.. a passenger, of mine, will do the same thing….If the first question they ask you is “ do you have a gun in the car?”.. that is a violation of your fifth amendment rights… you do not have to answer any incriminating question.. that garbage about putting the gun where someone can see it would get you arrested, several years ago… especially with the old law that we had an Alabama.. when the gun crossed the plane into a vehicle. It was considered a “concealed weapon” at that time… I have actually walked up to a car and someone handed me their pistol (trying to be honest)… which I have given them a good counseling about afterwards..
If they ask to search my car… I ask “can I go search your house?”… NEVER GIVE CONSENT TO SEARCH!!…
FWIW… unfortunately, a lot of police officers hate anybody “but police officers”, owning and carrying firearms…And they make it their main mission to get guns of of your hands… now that’s not all of them!… some are very pro-gun like me, but they are a few and far between..

Most officers here know and understand the 2nd amendment. As a matter of fact most of my family carries, and we all carried at my nephews graduation from the escambia county law enforcement academy.

Escambia, Santa Rosa, okaloosa counties are very pro-gun (citizens rights).

I work with a lot of people from all over the country and at some point they see the outline of my pistol, and I’m usually around “cops”. Some people ask me, and some people ask the officer. We all say the same thing, “this is Florida”.

Most officers here know and understand the 2nd amendment. As a matter of fact most of my family carries, and we all carried at my nephews graduation from the escambia county law enforcement academy.

Escambia, Santa Rosa, okaloosa counties are very pro-gun (citizens rights).

I work with a lot of people from all over the country and at some point they see the outline of my pistol, and I’m usually around “cops”. Some people ask me, and some people ask the officer. We all say the same thing, “this is Florida”.
I just wanted to make sure that sometimes being “honest” is a killer… As you know police is a “melting pot of personalities”…people have to be careful of pretextual traffic stops…Some states have passed laws that you must tell an officer you are armed… I think that is grossly unconstitutional… that is forcing speech to the government…It should be challenged… Now, I would answer if the officer stated “if you answer my question (about guns) I will not charge you, it’s just for safety”…I have been there before…

I just wanted to make sure that sometimes being “honest” is a killer… As you know police is a “melting pot of personalities”…people have to be careful of pretextual traffic stops…Some states have passed laws that you must tell an officer you are armed… I think that is grossly unconstitutional… that is forcing speech to the government…It should be challenged… Now, I would answer if the officer stated “if you answer my question (about guns) I will not charge you, it’s just for safety”…I have been there before…
Officers are allowed to lie, yes? On the whole, officers are at least as honest as the general population, but I believe they can make false statements to facilitate their investigation.

I disagree about honesty being a killer. Demnor and attitude could be.

I don't disagree about being forced by law to declare a weapon or not. But, once again, knowing the law and where you are located is important.

If you know you are felon that's not allowed to carry, that's on you.

If you are in a state that has far left carry laws and you choose to carry anyway and break their laws, that's on you too.

I cannot stress this enough. Know where you are and the laws in that state. Bottom line.

Officers are allowed to lie, yes? On the whole, officers are at least as honest as the general population, but I believe they can make false statements to facilitate their investigation.
The problem is if you have to announce you have a weapon by law, is you give the officer the right to enter your car and seize it.. you give the officer the right to search your vehicle with probable cause.. You completely lose your fifth amendment protections thus you lose your fourth amendment protection… that is grossly unconstitutional..all for doing something you have the right to do…

Meaning, for example on a traffic stop. Tell them that you have a firearm.
I have dealt with this the last few weeks. I had a guy banging on my door at 5 in the morning. It was a cop because my mother wasn't answering her phone...at five in the morning. A "friend" called in a "wellness check."

I killed all the motion detectors for lights, and walked out the west side of my house, gun drawn and ready. It was a cop. As soon as I recognized the situation it told them, "I'm armed. You are banging on my door in the dark." Made coffee for the two in 15 minutes.

I have dealt with this the last few weeks. I had a guy banging on my door at 5 in the morning. It was a cop because my mother wasn't answering her phone...at five in the morning. A "friend" called in a "wellness check."

I killed all the motion detectors for lights, and walked out the west side of my house, gun drawn and ready. It was a cop. As soon as I recognized the situation it told them, "I'm armed. You are banging on my door in the dark." Made coffee for the two in 15 minutes.
Dadgum, we were one "South Carolina Man" headline away from the site going down...

I've never had an officer criticize my choice to carry a firearm. The key is #1 do it legally, #2 always give respect, regardless of how the police are acting (court isnt conducted out a court room, IA investigations arent conducted outside the building without Garrity involved, typically), #3 remember, they brought a "gun to the fight", bringing yours in by surprise always escalates

Last edited:
I was pulled over a couple years ago coming back from a Bama game. (Speeding). I always have a pistol in the vehicle. Cop wants License and registration. I was in my wife's (at the time) car. Had to look for the proof of insurance. Before I opened the console, I told the cop I had a permit and there was a pistol in the console where I had to look. He said, slowly take out the pistol and hand it to me. Along with all the other info, show me your permit as well. Ran my license, everything was good. No ticket....handed my the pistol back, unloaded and told to have a good night.

It is all how approach the situation. Chris Rock did a parody video several years ago that was tongue and cheek, but had a lot of validity to it.

I was pulled over a couple years ago coming back from a Bama game. (Speeding). I always have a pistol in the vehicle. Cop wants License and registration. I was in my wife's (at the time) car. Had to look for the proof of insurance. Before I opened the console, I told the cop I had a permit and there was a pistol in the console where I had to look. He said, slowly take out the pistol and hand it to me. Along with all the other info, show me your permit as well. Ran my license, everything was good. No ticket....handed my the pistol back, unloaded and told to have a good night.

It is all how approach the situation. Chris Rock did a parody video several years ago that was tongue and cheek, but had a lot of validity to it.

Some handle it well.. Some freak out and call for back up and pull their duty weapon out… Every cop should assume everyone is armed…”They should be nice and professional, yet have a plan to kill in the blink of an eye”.. (not my saying)…I would not usually ask about their armed status, unless key “indicators” were present… If they volunteered that information, I would ask where it was located…I would usually tell them not to make any furtive or lunge movements and we would be good for the duration… I would never ask them to hand it to me, (even though some had it sticking out the window or hand it to you)… If I did handle their weapon, I usually wouldn’t unload it, but would stick it in their trunk.. Then, I would say when the traffic stop is over. “You can step out and get it when I pull off”..I always tried to show appreciation for those who carry, because they just might save your ass one day…Some cops absolutely hate carriers and look for reasons to skin them up… especially open carriers.. I know several that used to watch open carriers until they got in the car… then they would run over and arrest them for concealed weapons charges… so that’s why I’m glad constitutional carry is an Alabama now..

I got pulled over by a State Trooper way back around ‘95 or ‘96 following a baseball where I was the HC. On a side note, baseball coaches had to be in full uniform, so I wasn’t in street clothes. Trooper comes to my door and tells me why he had pulled me over, speeding. He asked for my license and I explained that they were in my wallet, in my street clothes in my bag, in the back of my Mustang. I explained that I needed to get out and pop the hatch, ‘91 LX 5.0 Red! We go to the back, I pop the hatch, retrieve my wallet and license and we go to his car to sit. While he is running my license and writing the ticket, he asks about the year and model of my car. He then tells me that he has one similar and that there is a hatch button in the glovebox. I explained to him that I had my Glock 23 in there and I really didn’t want to get shot when it fell out. He asked if I had a permit and when I told him that I did, he was good and continued writing the ticket!!

Back
Top Bottom