| MBB/WBB A few thoughts on Colin Sexton, the summer league, and what it looks like it might mean for Bama basketball. (tldr)

TerryP

Staff
I've thought, and we've discussed, the impact that Colin might have on the basketball program. One of my suppositions is the short time he spent in Tuscaloosa can be compared to what Julio's time meant to building the program we see today with football.

While I've not watched any of the summer league coverage of Colin and the NBA I have paid attention to different reports on how he's progressing. These reports and articles have been of interest to me and have also led me to believe, even more staunchly, that his short time with Bama is that breaking point.

A friend of mine who follows the NBA as much as anyone possibly could directed my attention to something PJ Carlesimo has repeatedly said in his color commentating position. His comments have varied but they've always been high praise for both Coach Johnson as well as Colin. Statements like "how fortunate has it been for Colin to have CAJ as his college coach." Another was "No better coach for a PG than Avery."

We all know to well what the vast majority of kids are thinking when they are choosing a college to attend: how will they help me reach the league? The recent commitment of Juwan Gary demonstrated that when he mentioned how Avery's experience in the NBA, along with his coaching at Bama, was the best route for him to take if he wants a career in basketball. We're seeing the same in other recruits like Kira Lewis who is one of the most sought out players of the next class with Bama as much in it as any other program.

I've long thought we were in for an adjustment with Avery. Coaching kids, versus coaching in the league, are two different ball games. Handling egos? The two are as far apart as any two things could be because one, the NBA, is built on their paychecks--the other built on what they've been encouraged to expect.

The fact we're seeing the name Alabama in the mix with the top recruits is a step in the right direction. No. Make that a leap in the right direction. As sparse as the talent is in the southeast we've seen far too many kids leave to play at other programs--migrating to the NE, to schools like Duke, et. al. While that hole in the dyke hasn't been fully plugged the mass exodus we've seen in the past is slowing to a trickle. Recruiting, which is the lifeblood, is on track and doing as well as many of the other to programs around the NCAA.

When I see and hear comments like those of Carlesimo I'm led to believe both aspects of CAJ's tenure--recruiting and coaching--are at a level we've not seen in decades around Tuscaloosa.

Going into this winter and spring I see no reason for any Bama fan to have an expectation less than that of they should be in the dance come March.

I know we're mere weeks away from football season but let's not forget just past that corner...

Prognostication: The biggest impact from a guy who so far is unheralded? Tevin Mack, y'all.

(I haven't a clue why basketball is on my brain this morning.)

To be absolutely honest in my feelings about the B-Ball program the 2018 class didn't feel like a great follow up class to Sexton and the boys. I've don't follow Bama recruits in basketball that closely but I'm hoping for a big 2019.

To be absolutely honest in my feelings about the B-Ball program the 2018 class didn't feel like a great follow up class to Sexton and the boys. I've don't follow Bama recruits in basketball that closely but I'm hoping for a big 2019.
I get that. By rankings it wasn't as good of a class. Then again, I don't trust how players are ranked in basketball as much as I do in football--and that's on shaky ground quite a bit. Did Herb Jones play like a three star? I'd say he's made his case he was undervalued.

One thing to keep in mind in my opinion...

While the '18 class shows Butler, Fleming, and Wood it doesn't list Tevin. Since he's a transfer technically it shouldn't--but we have to put him somewhere, right? I expect him to have an impact this winter.

Back
Top Bottom