| FTBL A couple of thoughts on the game (flame me if you must)

I wasnt to surprised at our lack of a running game, they really sold out on the run the entire game. I dont think we have the line that can still allow runs regardless if all 12 are in the box.

Those big plays in the game were made because of the selling out of the run. The Arkansas defensive gameplan seemed to be centered around taking away ball control ability. Bringing the extra safety up is a double edged sword, as you can unleash a big homerun play if you get through a gap or get a man one on one downfield. They did that and ended up paying the price. I am confident in our olines one on one ability though.

And I did notice McElroy in there late, I was kinda bothered, but then I noticed he was just handing off pretty much. Nick Saban didnt turn into Urban Meyer and send McElroy up the middle though thank god.

I dont know why the staff wouldnt just get a backup to handoff, but handing off is minimal risk, so I have no complaints.

the plays that were called in the running game i didn't think made a whole lot of sense. this was a defense that i think we would have had better success running around that through. instead most all of the running plays were called up them middle or at least between the tackles.

the whole game i kept saying bring in 2 tight ends and lets try to take the corner... and it only happened once and peek makes a great block to spring the back for a good gain... then it's back to up the middle or off tackle.

we have used plenty of plays this year that attempt to get the back outside. yesterday they were few and far between. i was baffled.

There's not a lot been said about it, but the fact is, Mallett had a ton of passes dropped today. His receivers really let him down.

completely agree. his WR's seriously let him down. He had some bad passes that were overthrown, but mostly his WR's heard footsteps and didn't catch or were hit 2 seconds after the catch and let go (go bama D).

it will be fun to watch Mallett grow through the years and take a leap into the NFL.

I do get a laugh at Danielson's knee-jerk remarks and his noises. Besides that I really don't care who is in the box, I'm watching Alabama for the game not the guys talking.

As for our running game, I'm a little dissapointed that we can't pound it out now. I will have to go back and look but Arkansas must of had 8 men in the box most of the day. There was always some guys running free right at the line of scrimmage, causing Ingram and Richardson to break a tackle for even one yard.

I'm don't know though, maybe someone who was watching closer can touch more on this. Is our line not blocking well or was Arkansas stacking the box causing problems?

They were stacking the box and rolling a safety over to the strong side almost every time. Their D line was also using slants and guessing right it seems.

It was like they knew we were gonna run inside the tackles and we kept on doing it. Where is the power toss sweep and traps back to the weak side. I really hope our O does not start putting themselves in a situation like last year. Where as the year went on they did less and less.
We ran the wildcat, once? The O stayed in the power I too much without trying to take the edges. The run play calling really was a disappointment for me.
I didn't hear a word of the two broadcasters. Had my headset on. I cannot stand CBS coverage.

Last edited:
I think that a lot of the problem with both Danielson and Lundquist is that most older Bama fans (myself included here) still long for Keith Jackson behind the microphone and anyone less is ... well.... less!

I agree with you about Danielson, he and Lundquist are really good commentators....except for one fact that's been stated several times...THEY KEEP SCREWING UP NAMES. That grates on my nerves. If they'd learn the names of the players, they'd be one of the best commentating crews on TV.

Now...about special teams. Reamer is a senior now. At what point will he get it into his head that blocking in the back is wrong? Isn't that something he should have learned in high school? I mean, aren't coaches always stressing the fact to the players, that if you are blocking and you see the defender's name, don't block him!

Also...one last tidbit....i've just watched the block that ended Hightower's day....was that not an illegal block below the waist?! I kept thinking, where's the penalty!

I wasnt to surprised at our lack of a running game, they really sold out on the run the entire game. I dont think we have the line that can still allow runs regardless if all 12 are in the box.

Those big plays in the game were made because of the selling out of the run. The Arkansas defensive gameplan seemed to be centered around taking away ball control ability. Bringing the extra safety up is a double edged sword, as you can unleash a big homerun play if you get through a gap or get a man one on one downfield. They did that and ended up paying the price. I am confident in our olines one on one ability though.

And I did notice McElroy in there late, I was kinda bothered, but then I noticed he was just handing off pretty much. Nick Saban didnt turn into Urban Meyer and send McElroy up the middle though thank god.

I dont know why the staff wouldnt just get a backup to handoff, but handing off is minimal risk, so I have no complaints.
“I don’t think we’re the overpowering team we were a year ago in a lot of ways, and I think that’s good,” Saban said. “You involve more people in the offense. The diversity that we develop in that can make us a better offensive team if we can continue to improve. I like it that way. I like for us to be that way, and hopefully we’ll be able to do that in the future and create the balance, not necessarily in yards, but in runs and passes that will allow us to make more explosive plays.”

Arkansas played at least 7 players in the box most of the game. They also ran alot of run blitzes which are very hard to defend when you are outnumbered.
T

I agree. I believe that the Arkansas D sold out on the run hoping that we would have to get into an air battle with them...which they though they would eventually win. It will be interesting to see our O-line's production as the season progresses now that we are established in the air.

Last year, it was said that JPW was an excellent game manager. He was good at it, but not great at anything else. I think McElroy is a game "controller", which is different in that he can make the other team do what he wants them to do. I don't think we've had this at Bama in a long, long time.

To me, the QB is the missing piece we just haven't had for the past 30 years.

Last year, it was said that JPW was an excellent game manager. He was good at it, but not great at anything else. I think McElroy is a game "controller", which is different in that he can make the other team do what he wants them to do. I don't think we've had this at Bama in a long, long time.

To me, the QB is the missing piece we just haven't had for the past 30 years.

Points in paragraph one are well-taken . . . btw, Bama did just fine with the QB it had in 1992.

I tend to not care about commentators so I don't know of anything on those two or any for that matter.Besides the place I usually go to is pretty rowdy and noisy that I can't understand what is being said anyway. Then again when I'm home I turn the captions off on my tv and just concentrate on the game.

I agree completely about the running game. I kept thinking they should have mixed it up some by running the sides from time to time. After a while of just going down the center Bama should have figured it wasn't working so well.

Then I started thinking..."Maybe they are saving it for other games as they don't really need it yet as they have such a lead in this game... maybe."

Back
Top Bottom