| FTBL 26 Jan.

bama alum

A day of my childhood heroes. Today's Eddie Van Halen's birthday. Long live the king!

And then...

I was thirteen. I remember getting off the school bus and hearing about it from a friend who skipped school. Back in '83, The Birmingham News was still an afternoon delivery, so when I got home and saw the paper in the front yard. Man...Just lost it.

It was my junior year in high school. I was at a doctor's appointment and overheard Coach Bryant's name. Left the office and headed to TGI Friday's for lunch. Then, I heard someone's conversation that Coach Bryant had passed. Devastating news for sure.

I was 12 and in the 6th grade. It was announced over the PA. The entire school was crying, teachers included. Coach was that paternal figure for so many! I had always dreamed of playing for him. It started with “The Goal line Stand” in the Sugar Bowl against Penn State and only grew with each game. When he retired, I was so disappointed that I wouldn’t get to play for him and then when he passed away, I was crushed as if I had lost a family member.

Junior in High School. Just finished a 2 mile off-season run and headed to my car to leave school. A teammate (Auburn fan) runs up & tells me that "Bear Bryant" (no respect from an Aubie - It's "Coach Bryant") has just died. I jumped his ass & told him to not joke about such things. Turned on the radio & heard the terrible news. Very surreal, a mythical figure had passed away.

5th grade. Riding home on the bus. Darren Phillips told me. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Several years ago I worked at DCH in Tuscaloosa for a little while. In the cath lab one day overheard one of the cardiologist on duty that day that was one of the docs working trying to resuscitate CPB. Said they coded him for an hour and half.......which is insane.

Back
Top Bottom