| MBB/WBB đźŹ€2024-25 Alabama Basketball Roster Updates (Rutgers transfer Clifford Omoruyi, one of the top big men in the portal, has committed to Alabama)

We had a similar thread last year, and like it, I will update this one with the movement as it happens and next season's roster takes shape. Obviously, all the players in red that are set to return, won't. And others will be added via the portal. But I'll keep this updated and keep track of it as it all unfolds. As always, let me know of any errors/mistakes.

Also, keep in mind, there are 13 scholarship spots available per season. As of now, Alabama is +2 (15 scholarshipped players), which means at a minimum, 2 of the following will not return.

Current 2024/25 roster outlook as of now:
G Mark Sears (5th year Senior)

G Latrell Wrightsell Jr. (5th year Senior)

G Davin Cosby Jr. (Sophomore)
G Houston Mallette (Senior)
F Nick Pringle (5th year Senior)
F Grant Nelson (5th year Senior)
F Mohamed Wague (Senior)

F Sam Walters (Sophomore)
F Mouhamed Dioubate (Sophomore)
F Jarin Stevenson (Sophomore)

G/F Naas Cunningham (Freshman)
F Derrion Reid (Freshman)
C Aiden Sherrell (Freshman)
G Rylan Griffin (Junior)

G/F Kris Parker (Redshirt Freshman)
PG Aden Holloway (Sophomore)

Players from 2023/24 that are not eligible to return next season
G Aaron Estrada

Players eligible to return for next season that will not
G/F Kris Parker
G Rylan Griffen
F Sam Walters
F Nick Pringle
G Davin Cosby

Players signed that are set to join Alabama for next season
G/F Naas Cunningham
F Derrion Reid
C Aiden Sherrell

Players transferring in to play for Alabama next season
G Houston Mallette (Pepperdine)
G Chris Youngblood (USF)

SEC Basketball Roster Tracker

Yep. It's a when/if he/they release anything.
...a statement coming today on GN.

I'm of the impression Cliff Omoruyi may have "pulled the trigger" last night: or at least came pretty close. That comes from the "medical/health" side of building so take it for what it's worth. (If I were in his shoes I'd still listen to what UNC has to say.)

It's my opinion that Onyenso is still in play.

...a statement coming today on GN.

I'm of the impression Cliff Omoruyi may have "pulled the trigger" last night: or at least came pretty close. That comes from the "medical/health" side of building so take it for what it's worth. (If I were in his shoes I'd still listen to what UNC has to say.)

Isn't Cliff's official visit today and he only just got to campus last night?

Isn't Cliff's official visit today and he only just got to campus last night?
I'd imagine the visit starts as soon as he arrives on campus: so it would have started last night. Their focus, in time spent with him, may be centered on today. (He has to be considered on an official visit for the school to play for food, lodging, etc. I'm assuming UA did so last night.)

I'd imagine the visit starts as soon as he arrives on campus: so it would have started last night. Their focus, in time spent with him, may be centered on today. (He has to be considered on an official visit for the school to play for food, lodging, etc. I'm assuming UA did so last night.)

Is this potentially why athletes are asking for money to visit schools? Can a school pay them NIL in this case? I know it was stated that kids want money to even visit these days, or is that simply just because they can? So, can you offer them money so they aren't having to pay or use an "official" visit?

@Justneedme81
I don't have anything "definite" on this. It's just speculation on my part that's built off of different people, etc.

I believe the staff is in an "either or situation."

In my opinion, Cliff has indicated he wants to come to Tuscaloosa, but also wants to listen to the folks in Chapel Hill. Ugonna has thrown a wrench into the gears; Cliff's gears.

On another note:

I'm going to have to stop saying "the basketball staff is confident in ______." Oats is probably confident the cup of coffee he's about the drink is the best cup he's ever had. When are they NOT confident?

@Justneedme81

I don't have anything "definite" on this. It's just speculation on my part that's built off of different people, etc.

In my opinion, Cliff has indicated he wants to come to Tuscaloosa, but also wants to listen to the folks in Chapel Hill. Ugonna has thrown a wrench into the gears; Cliff's gears.

On another note:

I'm going to have to stop saying "the basketball staff is confident in ______." Oats is probably confident the cup of coffee he's about the drink is the best cup he's ever had. When are they NOT confident?

Man, what a position to be in. "Better commit now, because there may not be space later." First come first serve of blue chip athletes is a great problem to have.

@Justneedme81

On another note:

Also been hearing rumors that Cliff has asked a few schools to pony up some $$ as part of his transfer process. Not sure what the actual number is but if it's higher than schools like it could be why he's running through visits all over the place and keeps scheduling more without a clear top-5 choices or anything.

Also may explain some predictions coming in today for Ugonna, Bama's going to pressure him a little into a decision (Cliff).

Also been hearing rumors that Cliff has asked a few schools to pony up some $$ as part of his transfer process.
I've heard that. It makes sense in more than one way.

Analogy: If I were playing the offensive line in football and I'm in the portal right now? The "pickin's and choosin's are slim." I'd hold leverage.

Also been hearing rumors that Cliff has asked a few schools to pony up some $$ as part of his transfer process.
Let's look at that for a second; muse, if you will.

I just texted a guy about Cliff...he's hearing the same thing. I'm believing this to be true; just suspected it earlier.

NOW ...

We know the talent that is on the roster. I'll assume Sears returns (more on that if you like) and I'll include Grant and Trelly.

That's final four talent. Returning.

I'm weighing that against a guy that's asking for more money who played at Rutgers. Rutgers. I, by no means, am discounting his talent or how he'd fit in the scheme. But I'm looking at a resume and seeing Rutgers (vs Kentucky, and that's another post.)

I stopped by an ATM a few hours ago and remembered they charged me $7 the last time I got cash. I left, went down the street a bit, and didn't pay anything. It was a bit of a hassle. But.

I'm not a fan of over paying for anything. Is that what I'm seeing with Cliff? A guy that's looking at not only getting paid, but asking to get over paid?

A guy that's looking at not only getting paid, but asking to get over paid?
Nail on the head.

I worry what kind of locker room we'd be dealing with if we paid this guy what he wanted. What message does it send to transfers/recruits/current players if you just drop $1m (rumored amount) we'd be dealing with a Saban situation. Every guy coming into the office demanding more money or wanting their NIL reworked.

Sears returning (likely) and Nelson returning (likely) makes this team easily top 3 in the NCAA I think if we could add 1 solid big man even if it's just purely for defense and physicality then I think we'd go from being a contender to a possible Juggernaut like Uconn last year.

Nail on the head.

I worry what kind of locker room we'd be dealing with if we paid this guy what he wanted. What message does it send to transfers/recruits/current players if you just drop $1m (rumored amount) we'd be dealing with a Saban situation. Every guy coming into the office demanding more money or wanting their NIL reworked.

Sears returning (likely) and Nelson returning (likely) makes this team easily top 3 in the NCAA I think if we could add 1 solid big man even if it's just purely for defense and physicality then I think we'd go from being a contender to a possible Juggernaut like Uconn last year.
He's still on campus. To me, I interpret that as ... (oh, gonna have a bit of fun here.)

Cliff has his hold cards.
Community cards on are the table; Kansas State dropped out because their pot is low.
We've seen the flop.
And now, we've seen the "turn" with Cliff.

One scholly, one card.

*Ugonna frees up more NIL money.

Block rate:
Omoruyi - 12.8%
Onyenso - 15.3%

Offensive rebound rate:
Omoruyi - 9.5%
Onyenso - 11.1%

Defensive rebound rate:
Omoruyi - 23.9%
Onyenso - 16.1%

TS%/eFG%:
Omoruyi - 53.7%/51.4%
Onyenso - 56.5%/55.0%

Fouls per 40 minutes:
Omoruyi - 3.9
Onyenso - 3.0

Onyenso is definitely a project though, he'd be less of a instant plug guy we can count on but a lot higher ceiling than Cliff - IMO. He's got the athleticism to become a dominant big man if he isn't already but he's only been playing BBall for 5 years whereas Cliff has been going for 15 years and is much more experienced/polished at this point. The issue being Cliff may not be able to be better than his stats but Onyenso may also not live up to his ceiling either. Interesting issue there.

Funny thing to think about at this point in our lives.

Bama has gone from fighting random mid-majors for recruits to literally battling the likes of the deepest blue bloods (Duke, UNC, UK) and winning some of those battles. My how fate has changed for this program since Nate Oats took over. If we don't get him a new arena, we're going to regret it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom