| MBB/WBB đźŹ€2024-25 Alabama Basketball Roster Updates and Offseason News...

We had a similar thread last year, and like it, I will update this one with the movement as it happens and next season's roster takes shape. Obviously, all the players in red that are set to return, won't. And others will be added via the portal. But I'll keep this updated and keep track of it as it all unfolds. As always, let me know of any errors/mistakes.

Also, keep in mind, there are 13 scholarship spots available per season. As of now, Alabama is +2 (15 scholarshipped players), which means at a minimum, 2 of the following will not return.

Current 2024/25 roster outlook as of now:
G Mark Sears (5th year Senior)

G Latrell Wrightsell Jr. (5th year Senior)

G Davin Cosby Jr. (Sophomore)
G Houston Mallette (Senior)
F Nick Pringle (5th year Senior)
F Grant Nelson (5th year Senior)
F Mohamed Wague (Senior)

F Sam Walters (Sophomore)
F Mouhamed Dioubate (Sophomore)
F Jarin Stevenson (Sophomore)

G/F Naas Cunningham (Freshman)
F Derrion Reid (Freshman)
C Aiden Sherrell (Freshman)
G Rylan Griffin (Junior)

G/F Kris Parker (Redshirt Freshman)
PG Aden Holloway (Sophomore)

Players from 2023/24 that are not eligible to return next season
G Aaron Estrada

Players eligible to return for next season that will not
G/F Kris Parker
G Rylan Griffen
F Sam Walters
F Nick Pringle
G Davin Cosby

Players signed that are set to join Alabama for next season
G/F Naas Cunningham
F Derrion Reid
C Aiden Sherrell

Players transferring in to play for Alabama next season
G Houston Mallette (Pepperdine)
G Chris Youngblood (USF)

SEC Basketball Roster Tracker

Why?

It's noteworthy that the Sears family is still very much involved with the basketball program (as well as UA,)

Drafts are weird. You never know what a team is going to think. The family thinks Mark will be back next season.

I was just messing with him. I'm excited as well, but I know he's a YUGE basketball fan of Alabama.

As pointed to by others, nothing has really changed with Sears... the expectation from the staff was that he was always likely to return barring something very unforeseen. I'm told there were some comments made at last night's event to a very small group (off the record with little to no media present) that strongly reiterated that point... they are making an effort to put the spotlight on Sears and try and boost interest... that's good for both him and Alabama. Overcoming his size at 5' 10" is going to be a major obstacle, and he ain't getting any bigger. But he can come back and earn $800,000 plus whatever NIL deals he gets and jump in this time next year with nothing to lose.

Also of note, Oats and Byrne are trying to get Bama matched up with Duke in the SEC/ACC challenge. It's turning into a bit of a battle among a few teams though, as Pearl too wants to play the Blue Devils. With Duke holding the cards, whoever wins out will almost certainly have to travel to Durham. Sounds like UA likes their chances.

As pointed to by others, nothing has really changed with Sears... the expectation from the staff was that he was always likely to return barring something very unforeseen. I'm told there were some comments made at last night's event to a very small group (off the record with little to no media present) that strongly reiterated that point... they are making an effort to put the spotlight on Sears and try and boost interest... that's good for both him and Alabama. Overcoming his size at 5' 10" is going to be a major obstacle, and he ain't getting any bigger. But he can come back and earn $800,000 plus whatever NIL deals he gets and jump in this time next year with nothing to lose.

Also of note, Oats and Byrne are trying to get Bama matched up with Duke in the SEC/ACC challenge. It's turning into a bit of a battle among a few teams though, as Pearl too wants to play the Blue Devils. With Duke holding the cards, whoever wins out will almost certainly have to travel to Durham. Sounds like UA likes their chances.

Always wanted to go to Cameron Indoor. Would be a fun one to catch with Cooper Flagg at Duke.

On the topic of Sears, how does coming back help his draft stock next year? Hard to think he would be asked to do as much next years as he had to do this year.
Prove that he can consistently play at that level in the SEC. That's about all he can do...hope he balls out at the combine but he's older than most of the guys that get drafted at the combine...it's likely he will end up in the G League because of his size either way. He stands to make more at Bama in terms of $$.

On the topic of
As pointed to by others, nothing has really changed with Sears... the expectation from the staff was that he was always likely to return barring something very unforeseen.
On this topic...Sears was only projected in 1 mock draft to even see the top 40 spots. Most people had him LATE 2nd or not even drafted. After the combine, the new mocks were released and he was literally dropped out of the 2nd round in every draft. I'd say 95% sure he's coming back at this time.

On the Tide event thing, I haven't heard much on that end, but I do know on the Basketball staff side there's not much belief that he was going to stick it out this year. Without an incredible combine showing that drew eyes he wasn't going to rise enough to find himself in the top 35 players, sadly. I think he DESERVES to be in the top 25 but the NBA is archaic like that, small shooters are shunned for the most part.

If that happens, I desperately hope they put it in the middle of the season. Like when we had the SEC/B12 Challenge. If it happens in November, I won't be able to go.

On the topic of Sears, how does coming back help his draft stock next year? Hard to think he would be asked to do as much next years as he had to do this year.
The only thing I can think of is a national title run. An extra game of exposure in the biggest stage. If he replicates last season's run, then I think he guarantees himself a contract.

As far as what Brandon and I said, we're pretty confident he's returning. BUT he hasn't said anything nor has anyone from his family/camp said they're for sure coming back yet so there's not been any movement yet. I wouldn't be surprised it if doesn't happen before the draft though.
Let me go back to something I said earlier. Why were they at the meeting in HSV with both coaches?

It's an NIL funding run, in my opinion, and his family is fully behind the move.

Just my opinion...based on a few things. While his dad might now want his mom shooting FT's in Coleman from the stands...they both would love to see him back.

Things change. I have a pretty good 'hoop' into this story.

Back
Top Bottom