| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC 2018 Christmas Movies

bama alum

So what have you been able to see during the holidays? Christmas day, my wife and I went to see both Mary Queen of Scots and The Mule. Today we went to see They Shall Not Grow Old, a Peter Jackson WW I documentary (only out today and earlier on the 17th).

Mary Queen of Scots' costumes and make up we're well done. The story line deviated from actual history (I won't play spoiler), and I wish there was some detail regarding the Babington Plot. It was good (both Robbie and Ronan deserve Oscar nods for this one!), but in hindsight, I wish we would have waited til it came out on Netflix.

The Mule
was GREAT! If it's not nominated for Best Picture...Clint Eastwood is aged but not frail; he was a good smartass when he needed to be. Go see this!

They Shall Not Grow Old...It was slow at times but that's understandable. Today's my dad's 82nd birthday, so we thought he'd like to see it (he's a history buff). He was a little - just a little - put out with the exclusion of Americans in it, but the restoration Jackson did with archived film is incredible. There was also a 30-minute clip after the credits where he takes his viewers through the process). Definitely recommend this when it hits Netflix!

Tonight, my wife and son wanted to see Bird Box. (No, not a Christmas release, but social media is buzzing about this since it's recent Netflix release.) I am not a fan of horror movies, and I thought the overall story line was silly, but this is a pretty suspenseful movie. Sandra Bullock owns the screen. It's nothing I'm wanting to see again, but if you're a fan of this genre, then it's probably on your must-see list. My wife and son really liked it.

Bird Box was a really interesting movie, I enjoyed it.

I think I'm going to wait for Mary Queen of Scot's to hit dvd.

Forgot all about They Shall Not Grow Old, if I can fit it in I'll try to catch this as the theater. Contemplating Aquaman as well.

Bad Times at the El Royale is a good flick as well. I love creativity with camera angles in this film and just how the movie was filmed.

The thing about They Shall Not Grow Old is that it was from film at the Imperial War Museum's archive working with the BBC so it would be heavily tilted toward Britain and their possessions. It is pretty powerful though. Those who are more adventurous can find very good copies on the internet to watch. I will not recommend any places though.

Back
Top Bottom