| FTBL 2008----No Excuses

bamatommy

I don't want to hear any excuses for next year's team. A lot of excuses have been made for the Tide the last few years, and I've caught myself falling into that trap myself. Like some of these excuses:

Scholarship reductions

1)Injuries

2)Coaching changes

3)New offensive and defensive schemes

4)Tough road schedule in the even years

5)Head coaches with no previous head coaching experience

But I don't want to hear any excuses next year if the team plays poorly. I'm not saying I expect them to win 10 games next year, but there had better not be losses like this year to Mississippi State and Louisiana Monroe. They had better play 60 minutes in every game, and look like the Crimson Tide has usually looked.

No more excuses.

TerryP said:
The reality of the situation is we have most of our tough games on the road and we'll still be young on D.

Yes, but the 2007 team looks like they have quit. Not all of them, but some of them. Saban needs to throw some guys off the team.

I'd like to see him do like Coach Bryant did with the Junction Boys. Take them out to the desert and weed out the guys who don't cut it.

bamatommy said:
TerryP said:
The reality of the situation is we have most of our tough games on the road and we'll still be young on D.

Yes, but the 2007 team looks like they have quit. Not all of them, but some of them. Saban needs to throw some guys off the team.

I'd like to see him do like Coach Bryant did with the Junction Boys. Take them out to the desert and weed out the guys who don't cut it.

Like I mentioned in the editorial, I expect some attrition as well.

"Lack of talent" will certainly be a valid one.

Saban is set to bring in his second Top 10 class in as many tries, yet, that will only consist of freshman and sophomores. How many true freshman can come in and make an impact? No more than a handful, at best.

2009 should see us put a competitive team on the field. Don't look for anything next season, though, unless you're into getting your hopes up only to see them come crashing to the ground.

If there's anything we can put to rest after yesterday's disaster, it's the myth that we actually have talent.

Accept it now and you'll thank yourself later.

RTR

Elephantitis said:

Saban is set to bring in his second Top 10 class in as many tries, yet, that will only consist of freshman and sophomores. How many true freshman can come in and make an impact? No more than a handful, at best.

2009 should see us put a competitive team on the field. Don't look for anything next season, though, unless you're into getting your hopes up only to see them come crashing to the ground.

If there's anything we can put to rest after yesterday's disaster, it's the myth that we actually have talent.

RTR

yesterday had nothing to do with talent....the problem was our players will to win the game

This talent excuse has to stop...its way more than that.

ACL11190 said:
Elephantitis said:

RTR

yesterday had nothing to do with talent....the problem was our players will to win the game

This talent excuse has to stop...its way more than that.

The absence of talent is more of a fact of life than an excuse.

Yes, I do think we've got more talent than ULM, but the gap is not nearly as big as most would like to believe.

Has anyone read anything Saban has said in the previous weeks? "Pattern in personality"

I think I've seen him say that we have kids that don't want to do it the right way and he'll replace them with kids that do.

If that's the case, I fully expect to see a ton of freshmen playing next fall. Especially with how good this class is shaping up to be. If we do have the young guys playing a lot of snaps, they are going to make mistakes. We aren't going to be world beaters after one season. I think we'll we more athletic next year and probably more physical, but I don't see us winning over 8 games.

Yeah, lets give a guy one whole year to build a championship program.

Anyone with a bit of common sense can look at the 2008 schedule and pick the losses. The hardest games are on the road except for the Iron Bowl.

His first recruiting class will be RS freshman and sophomores. How many of the new recruits do you honestly think can contribute? Keep in mind that the young men we are speaking of won't be going to their senior prom until May.

No there are no excuses for 2008. No excuses for impatient fans who bitch and moan until they run another coach off and destroy the program for another decade or two. A coach MUST have three or four years to get his program in place at minimum, and he won't get the greatest benefits until the following years. Coach Saban has just inherited the least talented and least developed team since "Ears" Whitworth walked the sidelines.

PATIENCE! It is hard for me as well. I want to win right now, but that isn't likely.

The Tide is on the rise fellas. Saban is getting the program up to the way he wants it. I have no doubt that these next few years will be the best years of BAMA football in a decade or so and it even excites me more that I will be at the Capstone for the next four years to see it unfold. Let's have some patience. Its a rocky ride, but who said it wouldn't be? Saban has on the right track. He doesn't just recruit players, he recruits CHARACTER. He recruits people with good attitude, good grades, good discipline, and most of all the people who have the desire to win just as much as he does (which is a butt load of desire.) Keep our heads on straight and make sure we understand the process before us!

ROLL TIDE!

bamatommy said:
I don't want to hear any excuses for next year's team. A lot of excuses have been made for the Tide the last few years, and I've caught myself falling into that trap myself. Like some of these excuses:

Scholarship reductions

1)Injuries

2)Coaching changes

3)New offensive and defensive schemes

4)Tough road schedule in the even years

5)Head coaches with no previous head coaching experience

But I don't want to hear any excuses next year if the team plays poorly. I'm not saying I expect them to win 10 games next year, but there had better not be losses like this year to Mississippi State and Louisiana Monroe. They had better play 60 minutes in every game, and look like the Crimson Tide has usually looked.

No more excuses.
I think 10 years of mediocrity is enough no more excuses exactly Tommy!

bamatommy said:

As great as the Junction Boys story is....they were not a winning team that year. In 1954, Texas A&M won only one game against nine losses, the only losing season in Bryant's 37 years as a head coach.

I am feeling the sentiment but I think the approach might need to be different. Of course, I say this without any good answers to the problem. I still VERY much believe in Coach Saban and this football team in the years to come. Roll Tide guys. The future is still bright.

Remember that ALOT of the guys on this team were coached the majority of their time in a culture of mediocrity. We have not been a good team for a long time and it is going to take time to reinstall a culture of winning and toughness. There have been hints of what is to come this year. There have also been hints of the past. I think that we will see a tougher more mentally prepared team next year.

Coach Saban has already gotten the team disciplined. We are among the LEAST penalized teams in the NCAA this year.

As for freshman and sophomores making a difference in '08, there is help on the way.

1. One would think that either Love or Jones should be an upgrade @ RT.

2. Caldwell has learned his lesson and will be playing in all the games.

3. Cardwell has seen a lot of action and is pretty good now.

4. The additions of Scott and Barron gives the offense two more play makers.

5. Andre will be a junior, with his eye on the prize.

6. Wilson should improve and McElroy and Fanuzi will have another year under his belt.

7. Kerry Murphy will shore up the DL.

8. Prince and Rolando will have another year under their belts, while Hightower should be a quick study.

9. Ray and Hood, along with Stover, McCoy, and Alexander, should ease the losses of Hall and Brown.

RTR

Swamptick said:
Remember that ALOT of the guys on this team were coached the majority of their time in a culture of mediocrity. We have not been a good team for a long time and it is going to take time to reinstall a culture of winning and toughness.
Agreed.

Supergenius said:
As for freshman and sophomores making a difference in '08, there is help on the way.

1. One would think that either Love or Jones should be an upgrade @ RT.

2. Caldwell has learned his lesson and will be playing in all the games.

3. Cardwell has seen a lot of action and is pretty good now.

4. The additions of Scott and Barron gives the offense two more play makers.

5. Andre will be a junior, with his eye on the prize.

6. Wilson should improve and McElroy and Fanuzi will have another year under his belt.

7. Kerry Murphy will shore up the DL.

8. Prince and Rolando will have another year under their belts, while Hightower should be a quick study.

9. Ray and Hood, along with Stover, McCoy, and Alexander, should ease the losses of Hall and Brown.

RTR

im 90% sure that scott and barron will end up on defense. This isnt the pac-10

Back
Top Bottom