| FTBL 2 much passing

mongo4bama

Verified Member
We need to run the ball more we are becoming no we are Finesse team it's going to be along year because of it's on of the reasons why we cannot put teams away.

defense too much shoulder tackling and not enough gang tackling though that may part due to scheme.

glad we won RTr

I just wished we would play action more. 1st and 3rd downs would be great for PA with our style and what the other opponents "think" we are going to do.

From CNS presser on 10/8/07:

Is there one area of John Parker Wilson’s game that you wish had improved more? And, after seeing the film, what explains the disparity in his first half and second half performance?

SABAN: “I didn’t think we threw the ball as much in the second half. I think we had a couple opportunities in the second half. One third down gets called back on a 13-yard gain. One long big play gets overruled on a catch. We probably should have thrown a little bit more, but I didn’t feel like he played that much differently in one half than the other. I just thought he had more opportunities in the first half, and I think we need to create more opportunities for our skill guys to make plays. It’s going to be important, how we’re able to do it. There were a couple plays we left on the field that could’ve been big plays for us that we didn’t execute on. We need to do a better job of that as well.”

Bama Bo said:
OM was stacking the box. They had to pass to open the run.
IMO, this was the offense's and JPW's best game so far.

Yes sir! The O line did give up way too many sacks IMO. Damn #86 was on fire!

BAMA JAMMA said:
I just wished we would play action more. 1st and 3rd downs would be great for PA with our style and what the other opponents "think" we are going to do.

i felt like we did a lil more play action this week than we have in the past. JP needs a lil work on sellin the play action tho.

Our offensive line is vastly overrated, and is not physically capable of allowing us to be a run dominant team.

Especially against teams with above average DTs, we cannot control in any manner the interior of the line and, God-bless our RBs, we do not possess the speed in the backfield necessary to attack the corners - with the exception of the left corner where Smith bats only a little better than .500 on run action.

While Auburn has not exactly been an offensive juggernaught their last two road games, Florida and Arkansas, they are starting THREE TRUE FRESHMEN on their O-line and have more than held their own with such a group. Meanwhile, we have multiple 4- and 5-star offensive linemen recruits who cannot make the lineup and STILL cannot find a right offensive tackle capable of getting in the way of a DE for one-or-two seconds every-now-and-then - and our guard play on either side has not been very good either. Either we were sold a false bill-of-goods by the recruiting gurus or we have an extremely large number of players who have digressed once they reached campus.

It makes little to no sense to run the ball 40-to-50 times a game when we are just not very good at doing so. We have two options with our porous defense: 1) run the ball every play to expire the clock and shorten the game or 2) try to score as many points as possible. I happen to agree with the approach currently taken by the staff.

alagator said:
Our offensive line is vastly overrated, and is not physically capable of allowing us to be a run dominant team.

Especially against teams with above average DTs, we cannot control in any manner the interior of the line and, God-bless our RBs, we do not possess the speed in the backfield necessary to attack the corners - with the exception of the left corner where Smith bats only a little better than .500 on run action.

While Auburn has not exactly been an offensive juggernaught their last two road games, Florida and Arkansas, they are starting THREE TRUE FRESHMEN on their O-line and have more than held their own with such a group. Meanwhile, we have multiple 4- and 5-star offensive linemen recruits who cannot make the lineup and STILL cannot find a right offensive tackle capable of getting in the way of a DE for one-or-two seconds every-now-and-then - and our guard play on either side has not been very good either. Either we were sold a false bill-of-goods by the recruiting gurus or we have an extremely large number of players who have digressed once they reached campus.

It makes little to no sense to run the ball 40-to-50 times a game when we are just not very good at doing so. We have two options with our porous defense: 1) run the ball every play to expire the clock and shorten the game or 2) try to score as many points as possible. I happen to agree with the approach currently taken by the staff.

I hear ya, alagator.

I thought the play calling was great this weak. I expect to see the same thing every week on out. Everyone should probably get used to it. We are not Arkansas and do not have the personnel to run 80 percent of the time +.

Bones82 said:
I thought the play calling was great this weak. I expect to see the same thing every week on out. Everyone should probably get used to it. We are not Arkansas and do not have the personnel to run 80 percent of the time +.

From what I've seen, its the OL and not the backs that are keeping the team from establishing a consistent running game

RollinInPcola said:
Bones82 said:

From what I've seen, its the OL and not the backs that are keeping the team from establishing a consistent running game

Agreed. The O line will improve.

Back
Top Bottom