| FTBL 2 guys from London, UK are attending the Crimson Tide Football game. What's the best way to get to the game from Birmingham

Hi all. As the title says. My friend and I are from London, UK and attending the Crimson Tide Football game against Texas A&M. What's the best way to attend the game from Birmingham? We also want to experience tailgating and enjoy the day with fans.

Are there fan coaches that can take us there and back?

Any real chance of getting fans traveling to pick us Brits up?

Any helpful advice is welcome.

How big is your budget? Hotels on game day weekends in Tuscaloosa are very expensive, if available. You may want to consider staying in the Birmingham area (recommend somewhere off I-459).

Getting to Tuscaloosa from Birmingham, AL (not England), is easy. Just drive south on I-59/20. There are several exits for Tuscaloosa with the McFarland or I-359 exits being the most popular. Signs will direct you to campus.

I don’t know of any fan coaches (busses in the US) from Birmingham but I know there are some because I see the fans queuing up near the Tutwiler dormitory after the game.

I usually park at Central High School on 15th Street just south of the stadium. The cost is $20 and it’s a short walk (maybe 1/2 mile) on 10th Avenue to the stadium and campus.

Tailgates are usually private affairs. However, there are a few Alumni Association tents you might be able to use (usually a fee). You can walk through the tailgates and have conversations with the people. Many will have satellite TVs showing other games. Don’t hesitate to ask what is happening with other games. Introduce yourself, explain how you’ve come from England and don’t be surprised if the invite you into their tailgate. Just don’t assume.

The Strip (a row of shops, bars and restaurant) is walking distance nearby. Some charge a cover fee. The Houndstooth is a popular one (no entry fee). There will also be several food trucks around the Quad (where the bulk of tailgating occurs).

There is a good chance that two sports networks (ESPN and the SEC Network) will have their game day pregame shows on campus. These shows start about 9 am and are free to attend. Rumors are that this game will be a prime time game (night) so you’ll have plenty of time to experience everything. Actual game time isn’t announced until a few weeks prior.

What else do you need to know?

Welcome to the site, and a hearty welcome to you for your October visit!

The pregame radio show is broadcast live starting three hours before kickoff, if I recall correctly, on The Quad, which is a neat spot to drop by if you're planning to get there early. Also, you'll want visit the Bryant Museum while on campus.

I know it will kick the price up if you rent a car, but if you are a motorsports fan, the Barber Vintage Motorsport Museum about 20 minutes east of Birmingham is the finest motorcycle museum in the world, and I don't say that lightly. You could drive to Tuscaloosa on Saturday, make your way to Archibald's or Dreamland for BBQ, then find a game parking spot, and then on Sunday you could take in the museum, which is co-located with one of the finest motorcycle/Formula One courses around.

Not much to add to @OldPlayer as he pretty much nailed it. I would say be prepared to shell out some money because after the war of words between Saban and Jimbo, it's going to be a big time game in an otherwise boring home schedule. Definitely visit The Quad and you'll get to mingle, get some invites to hang out, and The Strip will be a fun hangout. best of luck traveling, and if we put together a RollTideBama tailgate I'm sure someone will comment here for you. We've been threatening for a bit to do one, so we need to pull the trigger.

Not much to add to @OldPlayer as he pretty much nailed it. I would say be prepared to shell out some money because after the war of words between Saban and Jimbo, it's going to be a big time game in an otherwise boring home schedule. Definitely visit The Quad and you'll get to mingle, get some invites to hang out, and The Strip will be a fun hangout. best of luck traveling, and if we put together a RollTideBama tailgate I'm sure someone will comment here for you. We've been threatening for a bit to do one, so we need to pull the trigger.

I'd be there! LOOOOONG overdue!

What Old Player and It Takes Eleven didn’t cover so very well, you did … except there’s a good chance this will be the ESPN Game of the Week (if A$M doesn’t lose games they should win). If so the two Brits definitely want to get on campus early. I realize the glitter has rubbed off those since Tuscaloosa’s hosted so many of them … but they’re still a lot of fun. That’s especially true if you’ve not experienced one of them. It’s worth going to the campus even if you don’t have tickets just to read all of the signs.

What Old Player and It Takes Eleven didn’t cover so very well, you did … except there’s a good chance this will be the ESPN Game of the Week (if A$M doesn’t lose games they should win). If so the two Brits definitely want to get on campus early. I realize the glitter has rubbed off those since Tuscaloosa’s hosted so many of them … but they’re still a lot of fun. That’s especially true if you’ve not experienced one of them. It’s worth going to the campus even if you don’t have tickets just to read all of the signs.
ESPN College GameDay. At first I thought you were saying the game would be on ESPN when it is about 99.99% certain it will be the CBS Primetime game. No matter how many games a$m losses preparing only for Alabama.

Hi All,
Thanks to all the replies, very helpful and much appreciated.

To give more context to our stay. We're flying in from London to Houston the week before, renting a car and driving through to Nashville, stopping in Alabama for the Roll Tide vs A&M game (We do have game tickets).

We're planning to stay in Birmingham for the game and ideally would like to get some sort of transportation there and back whether it's private or public. We do have the ability to drive but prefer not to as we would like to drink throughout the day and enjoy the day with the fans.

Would be great to see the RollTideBama tailgate happen and meet all of you guys.

Hi All,
Thanks to all the replies, very helpful and much appreciated.
We're planning to stay in Birmingham for the game and ideally would like to get some sort of transportation there and back whether it's private or public. We do have the ability to drive but prefer not to as we would like to drink throughout the day and enjoy the day with the fans.

Would be great to see the RollTideBama tailgate happen and meet all of you guys.
That's what I'm talking about. (y) :D

To our UK friends a little advise...

1 Even in October it can be ridiculously hot and humid. Especially if you are from another climate.
2 Wear sun block.
3 Liver Training. Tailgating is not a spectator sport. It is an interactive experience.
4 People watching. Tailgating is a spectator sport. You may never see such an accumulation of beautiful people in one place at the same time again.
5 Bourbon is the preferred whiskey on game day. Tennessee whiskey is not Bourbon but an equally acceptable style for tailgating. Although you may find a fine single malt at a tailgate, Bourbon is the ticket. If you aren't familiar please incorporate with item #3. You wont be disappointed with a good Bourbon. Also drink it straight. Bourbon and Coke is for college kids.
6 Learn the following:
a. "Sweet Home Alabama" by the band Lynard Skynard.
b. "Dixie Land Delight" by the band Alabama.
c. The fight song...."Yea Alabama"
d. The cheer..."Hey Aggies... Hey Aggies... We just beat the Hell out of you... Rammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer, Give 'em hell Alabama."

1 Even in October it can be ridiculously hot and humid. Especially if you are from another climate.
2 Wear sun block.
3 Liver Training. Tailgating is not a spectator sport. It is an interactive experience.
4 People watching. Tailgating is a spectator sport. You may never see such an accumulation of beautiful people in one place at the same time again.
5 Bourbon is the preferred whiskey on game day. Tennessee whiskey is not Bourbon but an equally acceptable style for tailgating. Although you may find a fine single malt at a tailgate, Bourbon is the ticket. If you aren't familiar please incorporate with item #3. You wont be disappointed with a good Bourbon. Also drink it straight. Bourbon and Coke is for college kids.
6 Learn the following:
d. The cheer..."Hey Aggies... Hey Aggies... We just beat the Hell out of you... Rammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer, Give 'em hell Alabama."
1656149013662.jpeg

2 Wear sun block.
6 Learn the following:
Yea baby….bourbon in Alabama heat.

Back
Top Bottom