| LIFE Zero Turn mowers

Just picked up this beast of a mower. I needed to get a Zero Turn after my move in 2021. It's a Gravely ZT HD 52 inch. It's considered a Prosumer (Pro/Consumer blend). It's about as Pro level one can get without it being professional line.

Forgive me on the G look but the sister of the Gravely is the Ariens & I am allergic to just about all things orange.

What kind of ZT do you chase around the yard, how long have you had it, & pro's/con's?

Attachments

• 20220419_152512.jpg
    20220419_152512.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Nice! I’ve got a 42” eXmark and got a 60” Cub Cadet last year with the Yamaha motor. Don’t use the eXmark much anymore. The CC had surprised me with its speed and consistent cut. Went for quantity over quality since I have more average to mow, but it’s done really well, so far…

My "zero-turn" is a 15yo Toro self-propelled walk-behind. Looks like this (but with a little more wear/tear):

21378-lawn-mower-34r-co20-render_1600x1369.ashx

However, it still cranks and runs on the 1st pull. It doesn't burn oil and has no leaks, whatsoever. I keep the oil, filter, and spark plug changed (every season) and it hasn't let me down. When I have to replace it, I'll buy another Toro (but with the Honda engine).

And for the record, I do NOT like the new lawnmowers with the plastic (or whatever fancy word they call it) decks. Yes, they won't rust. but neither will a metal one if you take care of it. Mine is a prime example of that.

My "zero-turn" is a 15yo Toro self-propelled walk-behind. Looks like this (but with a little more wear/tear):

21378-lawn-mower-34r-co20-render_1600x1369.ashx

However, it still cranks and runs on the 1st pull. It doesn't burn oil and has no leaks, whatsoever. I keep the oil, filter, and spark plug changed (every season) and it hasn't let me down. When I have to replace it, I'll buy another Toro (but with the Honda engine).

And for the record, I do NOT like the new lawnmowers with the plastic (or whatever fancy word they call it) decks. Yes, they won't rust. but neither will a metal one if you take care of it. Mine is a prime example of that.
I hear you on reliability. I’ve got a Murray push I bought in 2000. Only thing I’ve done is replaced wheels, other than oil, filter and plug. Danger plastic wheels. Good friend here lost his dad 2 years ago and inherited 85k sq ft of warehouse space loaded with late 90’s early 2000’s mowers, snow blowers, compressors, etc. inches of dust on the crates and boxes. We sold the heck out of the stuff until we got tired of dealing with it. Found a guy from Indiana to buy the rest of it, all 60+ tractor trailer loads full. But it was really well built mowers and some with Tecumseh engines, Honda, etc. Had some Murray, Scott’s, Yard King. We found about 50 aluminum Murray’s that were built to last forever. It was going back in time when we opened up that warehouse.

Just picked up this beast of a mower. I needed to get a Zero Turn after my move in 2021. It's a Gravely ZT HD 52 inch. It's considered a Prosumer (Pro/Consumer blend). It's about as Pro level one can get without it being professional line.

Forgive me on the G look but the sister of the Gravely is the Ariens & I am allergic to just about all things orange.

What kind of ZT do you chase around the yard, how long have you had it, & pro's/con's?
That's outstanding, I wish my lake place was suitable for a ZT. It was terraced above the river long ago for farming and I don't think I could manage the terrace banks or near the water with it. I have about 1.75 acres there, most of it is mowed, snagged a used Cub Cadet that's served me well into its fourth year, and I mow some areas with a cheap push. I've always used a push mower on my GA place, too small and steep for anything else.

1650565021157.png
Mine is a Gravely ZT50 I bought back in 2013. It has the 23HP Kawasaki engine. It doesn't look like the photo anymore :) but it still runs great. The only issues I've ever had with it, after about 7 years the front tires kept going flat and coming off the rim so I put solids on it and the throttle adjustment housing broke, so I've zip tied the throttle in the back and manually adjust the choke to crank it, it has always started on the first turnover ever since I've had it. I've always kept it serviced, lost the keys years ago, my key now is a flathead screwdriver :p By far the best mower I've ever owned and will definitely buy another one IF this one ever gives up the ghost. 😁

Back
Top Bottom