| FTBL You want to talk starters? We'll have 18-19 starters....

TerryP

Staff
...this season.

If I had my way in *making* people change their terminology, I would make them change the term (using this position ONLY as example) "starting WR's" to "starting groups/units."

Take a few minutes and try to do the math on how many different groupings we can have in this season.

A three tight end set with a RB and a slot receiver.

A three wide-out formation with a RB.

A RB, H-back, and two wideouts.

Two TE, two Wideouts, an RB.

4 wideouts.

A slot receiver (or H back) with two TE's...

People talk about the changes in our offense this year. This is a prime example of one of the main changes.

Multiples, multiples, multiples.

At least that is the way i am explaining it to people that don't get the info from here like I do. I always tell them that whoever starts the game out at the 3 WR spots that you may not see those same 3 on the field together again the rest of the game.

Also on the RB's. I would love to see us go with 2 in the backfield at times sometimes and running play and sometimes sending one in motioin linning him up in the slot. Just to keep defenses off balance.

Re: You want to talk starters? We'll have 18-19 starters...

TerryP said:
...this season.

If I had my way in *making* people change their terminology, I would make them change the term (using this position ONLY as example) "starting WR's" to "starting groups/units."

Take a few minutes and try to do the math on how many different groupings we can have in this season.

A three tight end set with a RB and a slot receiver.

A three wide-out formation with a RB.

A RB, H-back, and two wideouts.

Two TE, two Wideouts, an RB.

4 wideouts.

A slot receiver (or H back) with two TE's...

People talk about the changes in our offense this year. This is a prime example of one of the main changes.

Multiples, multiples, multiples.

Terry, this is what makes McElwain's offense so tough to defend. I know that CNS said that only about 30% of the offense changed but really, how many times did you see us in this many different sets last season? Unless I was "drunker" than I thought I'd say not many.

Not only will the formations be changing but the routes. Remember that CJM's offense is a short, quick hitting, high percentage attack. So there will also be changes not only in formation and the different formations but in the routes being ran as well. If I'm a wagering man if a pencil was actually put to it I think more than "30%" of the offense is changing. There are things that the public is told and then there is what's really happening. :wink:

terry, didn't Saban address this recently in a press conference? one of the reporters asked him [inarticulately] how many different groupings the offense had. i think Saban answered saying 18 or 19.

Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:
terry, didn't Saban address this recently in a press conference? one of the reporters asked him [inarticulately] how many different groupings the offense had. i think Saban answered saying 18 or 19.

Yeah, I think you're right.

thought so. one of those things where you ask yourself, "where have i heard this before??" :lol:

musso said:
Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:

thought so. one of those things where you ask yourself, "where have i heard this before??" :lol:

Musso, you seem to be a sharp dude. What material differences do you see in our offense (other than formations) that the everyday fan can notice that will give our opponent's defense problems?

Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:
Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:

Musso, you seem to be a sharp dude. What material differences do you see in our offense (other than formations) that the everyday fan can notice that will give our opponent's defense problems?

oh i don't know. that's a good question. i'd have to defer to the senior members of the board, particularly guys like terry who apparently are able to observe practices and/or have contacts on the inside. i was able to observe a couple practices last season, but none so far this year.

actually, i'm more of a defensive guy. people like porkchop and other "oldtimers" who go back to the TideFans days can tell you that i'm always obsessing with the defense. :wink:

musso said:
Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:
Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:

oh i don't know. that's a good question. i'd have to defer to the senior members of the board, particularly guys like terry who apparently are able to observe practices and/or have contacts on the inside. i was able to observe a couple practices last season, but none so far this year.

actually, i'm more of a defensive guy. people like porkchop and other "oldtimers" who go back to the TideFans days can tell you that i'm always obsessing with the defense. :wink:

Yeah, living in Shreveport, LA I don't even have the opportunity to go to a practice or scrimmage. I went to A-Day but I know more of the offense has been installed since April.

I like defense myself. I coach youth football and enjoy dealing with the defense MUCH MUCH more than the offense.

Julio Jones !!! jk

I realize JPW doesn't throw on the run very well but there will be more sprint out throws which is great because that means the return of the sprint draw that Shaud Williams ran so well. One thing McElwain likes that I hate is screen passes. You will probably see those a lot. He says that he hangs his hat on power, so you will see power run plays out of several formations I assume. I'm looking foward to seeing how good the line blocking will be. If it stays terrible it want matter what formation Bama lines up in.

I think you'll see some of our playmakers lining up in unexpected places; perhaps Julio or BJ in the backfield for example. The opposing DC will have to pay close attention to just who we have on the field, in order to avoid some terrible mismatches, such as a LB having to try to run with BJ, or a smallish DB being isolated on a very big TE.

But you are right, Red Tsunami, it is all going to come down to blocking. If we don't execute that fundamental well, the schemes won't matter.

musso said:

Kirk McNair (Bamamag) asked the question, yes. IT was a good question, one I thought was worth discussing in more detail here.

$1 to Kirk.

musso said:
Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:
Bamabuzzard said:
musso said:

Yes you are obsessed, but defense wins championships. A very good reason to be obsessed with it. I just liked to play it. :D

I'm a asst. coach on a high school team here and am obsessed with offense. Those different units work well for us.

For you defensive guys how well do you think our 3-4 defense is going to match up with all the spread offenses we're seeing these days?

Thanks,
Cory

the 3-4 will basically become a 3-3-5, that would would be my guess. Played Sherman Williams( yes the one that played for Bama, Sherman Shake anyone?) and their spread offense in HS. We ran way more defensive backs all night long. As their qb who was freakishly tall...like 6'6", took all snaps from shot gun with Sherman at his hip. It was also fast pace, and no huddle. Sherman was one heck of a back out of the spread...we saw draws, flares and quick slant all night long. They scored most of their points outside of our 20...once they got in the red zone they bogged. We lost that play off game and was one of my first looks at the spread.

I still say with the speed, Db's, Lb's we have, and with pressure from up front...we will fine.

The 4th quarter program and mental conditioning is going to be a plus also. As reading and reacting to the offense is key. If you will watch the practice videos....they work constantly on tackling and using form, technique, pushing through with your hips and keeping that head up. If you tackle in space and put pressure on the qb...it is over for the spread.

I do not fear the spread and I do not think our coaching staff does either.

There is already a thread here on the site about the 3-4 versus the spread.

Back
Top Bottom