| FTBL You knew it was coming. "There is only one UT."

For me, it's going to be UT and TX. I'll give Tennessee the UT simply because they've been UT for the SEC since its inception.

Have you ever noticed we never see these discussions with Bama and Arkansas fans; both UA?

A little weird too. Both UA's red and white, but UT's yellow orange and white.

How does this play out in football?

I know Texas has more all-time wins.
I'm betting Texas has more conference titles.
I'm thinking Tennessee has more national titles (claimed and unclaimed.)

Head to head, I had to look. Every meeting was in the Cotton.

Date Opponent (record)ResultScore
1/1/1969​
vs.Tennessee (8-2-1)W
36​
13​
1/1/1953​
vs.Tennessee (8-2-1)W
16​
0​
1/1/1951​
vs.Tennessee (11-1)L
14​
20​

DateOpponent (record)ResultScore
1/1/1969​
vs.Tennessee (8-2-1)W
36​
13​
1/1/1953​
vs.Tennessee (8-2-1)W
16​
0​
1/1/1951​
vs.Tennessee (11-1)L
14​
20​
Overall, Texas has them on being the better program historically. Screenshot_20230721-060615~2.png

Overall, Texas has them on being the better program historically.
I have to go with @SoCalPatrick here. UT has been Tennessee since I knew what the game of football was about.

Think about this for a minute...you're a kid, growing up following Bama. When you heard UT was it EVER about Texas? No. We're in SEC country, right?

Historically Texas probably has Tennessee beaten in a lot of different sports. Historically, UT has been Tennessee for my lifetime.

Another thought...when Bama met Texas in 2010, it had been what ...right at 30 years since the two teams had met? There's a 30 year period where UT was Tennessee: every season.

Just like a person can't just pick a nickname, a newcomer can't just decide "our acronym rules." Screw Texas.

I have to go with @SoCalPatrick here. UT has been Tennessee since I knew what the game of football was about.

Think about this for a minute...you're a kid, growing up following Bama. When you heard UT was it EVER about Texas? No. We're in SEC country, right?

Historically Texas probably has Tennessee beaten in a lot of different sports. Historically, UT has been Tennessee for my lifetime.

Another thought...when Bama met Texas in 2010, it had been what ...right at 30 years since the two teams had met? There's a 30 year period where UT was Tennessee: every season.

Just like a person can't just pick a nickname, a newcomer can't just decide "our acronym rules." Screw Texas.
No no.... I completely agree with Tennessee being "UT". I was just curious who was historically the better program after you brought it up.

All of that is well and good and held true for me until Roy Kramer and Phil Fulmer threw it out the window. Screw tennessee.

DateOpponent (record)ResultScore
1/1/1969​
vs.Tennessee (8-2-1)W
36​
13​
1/1/1953​
vs.Tennessee (8-2-1)W
16​
0​
1/1/1951​
vs.Tennessee (11-1)L
14​
20​
That loss by the 1950 team got the wheels turning. Texas also lost to Oklahoma 13-14, who lost to Kentucky 7-13, who lost to tennessee 0-7. Dayum, UCF would claim a NC by beating Texas worse than Oklahoma did and beating the team OU lost to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom