| CURRENT EVENTS Yellow Trucking...

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Staff
I drive a good bit. To break the monotony of an interstate, I've always taken an interest in trucking companies, sort of a geography lesson on regional and national firms. It's a little more personal than a license plate game. I always enjoy seeing a Wiley Sanders truck far from their Troy home, and the "breathe freely, ship Ross Neely" catch phrase always makes me think of Bham - for me, it's the commerce equivalent of "See Rock City". I know an Ox Bodies mud flap means some hard working souls in Fayette build a bullet-proof container, and I hope they pile liberal amounts of Golden Eagle on their buttered biscuits every morning.

So maybe it's the nostalgic transportation part of me, or the erstwhile economist, but I've followed the trucking industry's "acquire or be acquired, debt be damned" playbook for a while. You knew that some of these companies were building a house of cards, particularly Yellow Freight when they acquired Roadway, both unionized in a deregulating market. Hate to see them go.

I'm waiting for XPO to collapse under its weight. When big parts of its debt come up for repricing, that may do them in.

Attachments

• Trucking Giant Yellow Shuts Down Operations - WSJ.pdf
    279.1 KB · Views: 2
End all unions.. then you won’t have these issues..
I'm anti-union, but that's just part of it. Most long-running companies who offer any retirement benefits to their employees (pensions, insurance of any type, etc.) end up being more unwieldy than their newer competitors. IBM (never unionized in the U.S.) is more encumbered and less agile than Microsoft or Apple, and they in turn to Google.

I'm anti-union, but that's just part of it. Most long-running companies who offer any retirement benefits to their employees (pensions, insurance of any type, etc.) end up being more unwieldy than their newer competitors. IBM (never unionized in the U.S.) is more encumbered and less agile than Microsoft or Apple, and they in turn to Google.
Things that make me mad about unions is they don’t know when to quit.. they are one of the main reasons why a car is so unaffordable..Then there’s the Hollywood strike.. I hope they stay on strike forever!

Things that make me mad about unions is they don’t know when to quit.. they are one of the main reasons why a car is so unaffordable..Then there’s the Hollywood strike.. I hope they stay on strike forever!
Cars are more expensive more to government requirements, safety and otherwise than unions. Every computer system added to cars at the behest of the government (anti-theft, back-up cameras, lane avoidance, anti-lock brakes, emergency braking), increases the cost, along with crash requirements. Admittedly, I'm glad for many of safety items, like making sure the engine drops in a collision, keeping the passenger compartment more intact. The minimum mileage requirements (I think Biden's just mandated a 59mpg average by '35 or so) should not be mandated under the cover of rulemaking. If it's so important, have Congress pass it rather than have it whipsaw depending upon which party is in the White House.

I'm sure there's a good example, but I can't think of any other product - so key to our lives and economy - that is being regulated out of existence like the internal combustion engine. Many of the key safety features that have long been mandated are being ignored to foster in EV's. The additional weight of an EV due to the battery is ignored, while the Warrens of the world decry the SUV behemoths. A Tesla Model X Plaid weighs the same as my '21 Tundra Limited. The number of house fires from recharging EVs is currently low, but extinguishing a battery fire is extremely difficult and it's unlikely you'd save the house. Let one go up in a parking garage and the heat will be such that it can ruin the structural integrity of the entire structure can be compromised. No one will mention it now to keep from killing EV's in their infancy, but I'm sure they will mandate further regulations in the future...

I ran tool & die shops for automotive suppliers all of my career. One was UAW in a Johnson Controls plant. Companies like JC deserve unions. A couple of other manufacturers deserved unions as well but didn’t have them with American companies being at the top of the deserve a union list. Unions shops are not hard to manage just know the contract, I never lost a write up or a termination at the union place.

Back
Top Bottom