| FTBL With the game PPV this weekend...for you Alabama residents, here's how to watch it on ESPN3 and bypa

TerryP

Staff
How To Circumvent the ESPN3 “Black Out”

Disclaimer 1: Modifying your Firefox browser headers is not against the law.
Disclaimer 2: If you aren’t technical enough to follow these instructions, I am sorry.

Certain events on ESPN3.com are subject to “blackouts” in certain areas depending on Pay-Per-View or other TV contract limitations. This is a simple solution to get around it.

1. Download and install Firefox.
  2. Download the Modify Header Plugin.
  3. After installing the plugin, press “ALT” and go to Tools > Web Developer > Modify Headers.
    XvWGU.jpg
  4. From the drop down box on the left select Add
  5. Enter ”X-Forwarded-For” in the first input box.
  6. Enter ”24.9.102.10” (or any IP address that is NOT in a “blacked-out state”).
    For example:
    24.9.102.10 (New Jersey)
    4.2.2.10 (Colorado)
    216.27.175.2 (Georgia)
    68.87.68.162 (Georgia)
    68.87.72.130 (Illinois)
    68.87.85.98 (Colorado)
    68.87.68.162 (Dallas)
    YNHvj.jpg
  7. Leave the last input box empty, and save the filter, and enable it. If the header is enabled, it should be green (see above).
  8. Close the Modify Headers window and visit ESPN3.com to test.
    VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure the plugin thing is Enabled. To do this, press “ALT” and go to View > Toolbars > Add On Bar
    AhW9T.jpg
  9. Make sure the small eye icon (bottom left corner in Firefox) is red and not gray in the bar.
    If it’s gray, click on it and select START
    dcoh1.jpg
  10. If it’s enabled, it should look like this:
    aemT5.jpg

Thank You Thank You Thank you!

How To Circumvent the ESPN3 “Black Out”

Disclaimer 1: Modifying your Firefox browser headers is not against the law.
Disclaimer 2: If you aren’t technical enough to follow these instructions, I am sorry.

Certain events on ESPN3.com are subject to “blackouts” in certain areas depending on Pay-Per-View or other TV contract limitations. This is a simple solution to get around it.

1. Download and install Firefox.
  2. Download the Modify Header Plugin.
  3. After installing the plugin, press “ALT” and go to Tools > Web Developer > Modify Headers.
    XvWGU.jpg
  4. From the drop down box on the left select Add
  5. Enter ”X-Forwarded-For” in the first input box.
  6. Enter ”24.9.102.10” (or any IP address that is NOT in a “blacked-out state”).
    For example:
    24.9.102.10 (New Jersey)
    4.2.2.10 (Colorado)
    216.27.175.2 (Georgia)
    68.87.68.162 (Georgia)
    68.87.72.130 (Illinois)
    68.87.85.98 (Colorado)
    68.87.68.162 (Dallas)
    YNHvj.jpg
  7. Leave the last input box empty, and save the filter, and enable it. If the header is enabled, it should be green (see above).
  8. Close the Modify Headers window and visit ESPN3.com to test.
    VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure the plugin thing is Enabled. To do this, press “ALT” and go to View > Toolbars > Add On Bar
    AhW9T.jpg
  9. Make sure the small eye icon (bottom left corner in Firefox) is red and not gray in the bar.
    If it’s gray, click on it and select START
    dcoh1.jpg
  10. If it’s enabled, it should look like this:
    aemT5.jpg

My little boy is too small to really enjoy games yet, and I'm not willing to leave him behind. So, we haven't gotten to see any games in person this year. Pay per view may be a stretch this week as well. Looks like I was destined to miss the game. So, my daughter and I are going to see "Catching Fire" instead. She's seen lots of football on Saturday's. This ought to be some payback.

Thanks Terry; I thought I was ready to go, but there appears to be a roadblock for me once I got to espn3.com. Asked for TV provider and WOW is not on the list of the providers. I could be wrong but due to this I think all of Huntsville is left out; I think WOW (once Knology) is the only cable provider here, and other options (satellite) Direct and Dish was not on the TV providers list neither. Verizon is on the list, but I guess since Verizon is my cell provider rather than my TV provider that won't work?

Thanks Terry; I thought I was ready to go, but there appears to be a roadblock for me once I got to espn3.com. Asked for TV provider and WOW is not on the list of the providers. I could be wrong but due to this I think all of Huntsville is left out; I think WOW (once Knology) is the only cable provider here, and other options (satellite) Direct and Dish was not on the TV providers list neither. Verizon is on the list, but I guess since Verizon is my cell provider rather than my TV provider that won't work?

If your cable/satellite provider doesn't provide you with access to ESPN3 you're not going to be able to use it. It's a part of most plans now tho.

If your cable/satellite provider doesn't provide you with access to ESPN3 you're not going to be able to use it. It's a part of most plans now tho.

The funny thing (I've noticed this previously, but jumped out at me this morning) is on my WOW home page there is a direct link to ESPN3, and it's not a recently visited site's section neither. Go figure.

I'm in :td:; don't know what exactly I did, but I'm in. Thanks again Terry! Now that I am apparently on a roll lets see if I can do this on the smart TV rather than hooking up the laptop to the TV.

The funny thing (I've noticed this previously, but jumped out at me this morning) is on my WOW home page there is a direct link to ESPN3, and it's not a recently visited site's section neither. Go figure.

Sounds like your cable does the same thing mine does... if I go to ESPN3's site and try to pick my provider (Troy Cablevision) it isn't listed... but if I got to their website and click the ESPN3 link they have it takes me there and I can just pick what I want to watch. Dont know why that is.

http://www.feed2all.eu/type/american-football.html

at gametime the link to the specific game of interest will show multiple channels streaming the game, quality varies but usually pretty good - I have the best luck w/ #2 and #3. Just don't bother clicking the "watch in HD - download this plugin" links. We haven't had cable/satellite in over 8 years and I can't remember the last time I missed a game. Stream it back to your TV and you're all set.

http://www.feed2all.eu/type/american-football.html

at gametime the link to the specific game of interest will show multiple channels streaming the game, quality varies but usually pretty good - I have the best luck w/ #2 and #3. Just don't bother clicking the "watch in HD - download this plugin" links. We haven't had cable/satellite in over 8 years and I can't remember the last time I missed a game. Stream it back to your TV and you're all set.

Watched it online for Free Free Free. I have bookmarked this site. Thanks for the info. It was a slow connection some of the time but it was working for me most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom