| FTBL Will Shula be the first to return as a formally HC?

We can make lots of lists of who would have been better, but add the qualifier of would they accept the role. That’s the disqualifier for Davis, Spurrier and many, many more. Nobody wanted to join a team on probation. Nobody wanted to walk into a program that fired multiple coaches for improper behavior (Price, DuBose).
He talked with UA about taking the position. It was partly based on how he took Miami through their probation. For lack of a better expression, that hire got into a pissing match between Beamer and Davis on who was going to be in the spotlight as "the hire."

Absolutely on promoting Joe (we got to stop that inside trap) Kines to run the show for a year. Bama was f'ed already so why make it worse.

I like Mike Shula.

Dave Rader is now a state senator for Oklahoma.

Anybody beside me at that USF game in Legion in 2003?
I was there. High point of that season.

We also had UT beat that season and the stupid 3 3 5 defense broke down and gave them a 4th and forever conversion in overtime.

Absolutely on promoting Joe (we got to stop that inside trap) Kines to run the show for a year. Bama was f'ed already so why make it worse.

I like Mike Shula.

Dave Rader is now a state senator for Oklahoma.

Anybody beside me at that USF game in Legion in 2003?
I was there!!!! It was freakin hot!!!!!

We had the “Got Shula” shirts all over the place!!!! The stadium ran out of water!!!! An old lady behind us had to be stretchered out of the stadium!!!!

Wanted to make a Caveat

The way I wrote it, I want to quantify. I like Shula and agree, he helped us a great deal when we needed it.
I still think it was stupid to hire Shula. We were not during the proper "hiring time", considering spring ball was over. That is what motivates my opinion of putting Kines in as interim. Davis/Spurrier, etc. At the time, would have been great hires. No where near as good as a Saban hire, but a really good hire considering.

That entire period of time from Dubose through Shula was the only time in my 60 years on this earth that I truly wondered if Bama Football would ever recover and return to its rightful place in college football. I never stopped judging the team to the Bama standard even back then. People would be ammused as I would be pointing out the things that did not measure up. I would get comment that "Bama won right"? Bottom line Bama has never been the same as other programs in my time on this earth at least. Bama fans know what excellence looks like and expects it. It is not just about wins. It is how you do it.

Roll Tide gentelmen lets get this thing turned around tomorrow. Not some magic that is going to happen to turn the D into an elite D but I expect a step forwrard.

Back
Top Bottom