| NEWS Will rural college sports fans be able to keep up with the broadband demands of streaming services? - Awful Announcing

S

SEC Sports

If a large portion of rural college fanbases don't have quality broadband, how do you expect to give them a good experience?

As technology and viewing habits change, professional leagues and college sports are constantly trying to stay on the cutting edge of how fans consume their games and programming. But while everyone wants to look forward to what’s coming next, are we leaving behind huge swaths of sports-consuming audiences who don’t have the means or ability to follow?

The question comes courtesy of SB Nation’s Matt Brown, who posed it in reaction to a West Virginia Metro News article about WVU basketball’s growing shift towards digital streaming offerings.

As more West Virginia basketball games are exclusively streamed on ESPN+ (not unlike many other NCAA games these days), it’s a question of whether or not all West Virginia fans will have access to enjoy them. Not only are you assuming broadband service availability but you’re also asking fans to often chip in extra money on a monthly basis to do so.

“We feel that ESPN+ has a lot of room for growth. It’s just a different opportunity and platform to look at. We were trying to make a long-term decision understanding there would be growing pains with that,” Lyons said.
He admitted broadband coverage in parts of West Virginia can be spotty but he expressed hope that situation would also improve in the years ahead.
“We have roughly 1.8 million people, 1.4 million of them have the streaming capabilities. We understand hopefully that’s going to continue to climb higher and everyone is going to have the streaming capabilities as we move into the future,” Lyons said.
According to the FCC’s 2019 Broadband Deployment Report, 97.2 percent of West Virginians in urban areas have access to Fixed 25 Mbps/3 Mbps broadband, which is considered the minimum standard. However, only 72.5 percent of rural West Virginia residents have access to the same.

But these numbers only work if you assume the FCC is reporting them correctly, and not everyone is on the same page about that. According to Ars Technica, the numbers that the FCC used might be trying to spin a more positive outlook than is true, so it’s likely even more West Virginians, many of whom are presumably Mountaineers fans, without broadband access and the ability to stream games of their favorite team.

When you look around the country at other college sports hotbeds, you also notice that there are rural areas with far less broadband coverage than even West Virginia’s.

Again, using the FCC data, we see that only 69.7 percent of rural Alabama, 58.0 percent of Nebraska, 55.9 percent of rural Arkansas, 48.3 percent of rural Oklahoma, and 39.8 percent of rural Arizona have access to minimum-standard broadband. And it’s even less if the FCC data is over-inflated. Those are some very major college athletics areas where die-hard fans won’t have a chance to stream games that are exclusively online.

Meanwhile, college sports are going all-in on streaming their broadcasts online and via streaming services. Aside from games on ESPN+, you’ve got exclusive game streaming via Stadium on Facebook, exclusive streams on FloSports, the full March Madness experience through CBS Sports, and colleges providing exclusive access to some of their own games through their sites.

Of course, there’s a reason exclusive streaming is taking off the way it is. It’s extremely popular. It’s also a “better than nothing” option that most schools can live with as they attempt to provide as much content as possible to their entire fanbase, even if not everyone will have the ability to see that content, at least not without some extreme buffering.

There might be a response by many to say to rural fans, “well, tough shit.” And at least for now, it seems like broadcasters, streaming services, and the universities are fine with that approach. But in the world of college sports, there is still a danger in not taking seriously the demands of your audience. Even as it has become a national phenomenon, college athletics is still rooted in regionality and local fanbases. And some of the top college basketbal and football programs thrive in markets that skew rural, or at the very least are not loaded with urban areas with the latest technology.

When you’re winning and everyone wants a piece of your content, perhaps it’s not a major concern. But when the program is down and every eyeball counts, can you afford to discount the hundreds of thousands of potential customers who don’t have the ability to consume your product? Especially if you’re already a regional program that doesn’t have the national cache of a Notre Dame or Ohio State?

There’s likely no answer to that question right now as the technology and demand are still trending in a positive direction. But it’s something worth keeping an eye on, especially as the next round of conference realignment eventually rears it’s head and broadcasting contracts shift accordingly. As we continue to get more granular and specific in our offerings, college athletics might want to remember the fanbase who got them here and make sure there’s always a viable option for them, lest they no longer care enough to tune in at all.

I can stream fine on some platforms.

I think I can increase my speed a little by replacing the connection between the box and my house with some good twisted pair. Planning on doing this in the summer.

SmartSelect_20200105-083613_Speedtest.jpg

I can stream fine on some platforms.

I think I can increase my speed a little by replacing the connection between the box and my house with some good twisted pair. Planning on doing this in the summer.

View attachment 13303
What is your service? I get this while running a speed test from my laptop:

1578248969260.png

I just started a free trial of youtube tv to see if I can save money by cutting the cable tv cord. So far it is looking very promising.

A lot on here know what I have gone thought when I drop cable. At the time I had Hughes Net for my Internet. Which didn't give me much to watch because of it buffing! I switch to xStream Fiber from the local phone company. I now petty much can watch anything.

What is your service? I get this while running a speed test from my laptop:

View attachment 13306

I just started a free trial of youtube tv to see if I can save money by cutting the cable tv cord. So far it is looking very promising.

DSL, I'm 4+ miles from the main junction.

Prior to my upgrade, I was able to stream on puffer (Stanford site) with 4Mbps down 😁. Several others wouldn't work. Netflix did once I changed the video quality

Dsl with Centurylink 6mb down and YouTube works amazon Prime works even 4k but don't know if multiple TVs would work. Ms RollllTide! Won't cut the dish so not a lot of rural options here. Got to have hallmark.none of the streaming services have it.

Last edited:
Dsl with Centurylink 6mb down and YouTube works amazon Prime works even 4k but don't know if multiple TVs would work. Ms RollllTide! Won't cut the dish so not a lot of rural options here. Got to have hallmark.none of the streaming services have it.
A friend of mine said he orders the Hallmark streaming service during the holidays for his wife. I think you can do that outside of youtube tv. Might be an option for you. Not sure the cost.

Last edited:
I've used them during the athletic seasons for the past two years and I don't have a single complaint.
What do you use to stream? apple tv? roku? builtin smart TV? other?

An easy user experience for the wife is a must have. I have Roku and it is ok but there are some odd user workflow things when you browse around channels. We are coming from a cable user experience so that has become our natural work flow. Little things missing like single button click to go to the last channel.

The actual video stream has been solid although it does not seem to be the highest quality it could be. That may be a setting that I have not found yet.

What do you use to stream? apple tv? roku? builtin smart TV? other?
Laptop and a couple of tablets...wired and using Chromecast. A friend of mine uses his phone when he's out in his workshop. I've never turned it on out there but it's a few clicks.

The only drawback I've found is watching Twitter or a game thread while using their service ... they're a bit behind.

It's literally this simple with the app although, as mentioned, with laptops I'm just using the Chrome browser.

Chromecast is what now ... 35-40 bucks for the hardware?

It's literally this simple with the app although, as mentioned, with laptops I'm just using the Chrome browser.

Chromecast is what now ... 35-40 bucks for the hardware?

I have done screen share from laptop and phone to the roku before and it is easy. The chromecast sounds similar.

Roku has a phone app that allows you to use it as the remote control. Really what I am looking for is whatever user front end is easiest to use for the wife. I am in the tech field so I have to deal with networking equipment every day but she just wants it to be simple and work. The closer to the cable remote and menus as possible the better because she has learned that workflow.

Fear mongering. What is the definition of "rural" and how many live in these areas? Of those that live there, how many care about college football?
About 60 million people, or one in five Americans, live in rural America. The term “rural” means different things to different people. For many, it evokes images of farmlands and pastoral landscapes. For our purposes, we define rural based on the official Census Bureau classification.

One in five is a lot. If you count small towns as rural, as many of them do not have broadband, it is a lot more.

By the way broadband is more than just a cumberbund.:ROFLMAO:

About 60 million people, or one in five Americans, live in rural America. The term “rural” means different things to different people. For many, it evokes images of farmlands and pastoral landscapes. For our purposes, we define rural based on the official Census Bureau classification.

One in five is a lot. If you count small towns as rural, as many of them do not have broadband, it is a lot more.

By the way broadband is more than just a cumberbund.:ROFLMAO:

Are "our purposes" and their purposes the same? Probably not. I think too much emphasis is being put on broadband access. There's a PR firm behind this somewhere.

My sister-in-law (HUGE sports fan) lives so far out in the country she doesn't have cable, internet service or even cell reception. She just got direct TV 3-4 years ago. My cable is very reasonable and I'll stick with it as long as it still exists.

Back
Top Bottom