| FTBL Will Bama nation accept Sabans 1st yr ,if its 8-5,or7-6. 5-7

Here's an interesting question: How would you have reacted if Shula had gone 7-5 or 8-4? Don't give Saban a free pass just so you won't be disappointed. You guys have a lot more talent than you are giving yourselves credit for and 10-2 is altogether likely.

Here's my prediction: anywhere between 8-4 and 10-2. Saban never won less than 8 games at LSU but he only won 10 games twice. But,you are in a lot better shape than LSU was when he arrived. However, he always lost to a team he was supposed to beat and pulled a couple of upsets each year. In 2003 when he won the BCS NC, he only played 3 ranked teams, which he beat, but he lost to an average Florida team at home.

Here's another thought: I'm starting to worry about the LSU-Alabama game all of a sudden. Saban's teams ALWAYS start off the season and games slow. I don't know why. But, by November, he's got them clicking. I think that he might just catch LSU at the right time. I'll admit, if we lose to you guys people will be jumping off bridges into the Mississippi River. But, it could happen.

Here's to a great football season - I can't wait!

i think saban is fine at bama right now!! 8 wins would not be a disappointment!! he is going to build the program no doubt!! the players are still going to have to adjust to his system and way of doing things, and they are going to still have to play football!! the tide will be fine and i strongly believe that bama will be sayin WAR CHICKEN when barn goes down in the iron bowl and will beat LSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my prediction: anywhere between 8-4 and 10-2. Saban never won less than 8 games at LSU but he only won 10 games twice.
Only ten games twice? That's pretty good considering he was only there for 5 years. Plus he was a lucky Iowa hailmary away from having 3 ten win seasons in 5 years. He will win 8 this year guys. Count on it. Ten would be no surprise. Matter of fact, if we make it through the September stretch undefeated somehow, I don't see why we couldn't expect to win all of em'.

Plus he was a lucky Iowa hailmary away from having 3 ten win seasons in 5 years.

Um, he was also 3 Alex Serna missed XP's away from losing to Oregon St. LSU barely beat Troy that year. We also had to comeback against Florida and win in the last seconds and we barely beat Ole Miss. Conceivably, we could have been 5-6. We needed a miracle to beat Kentucky in 2002 to win 8 games that year. It goes both ways. In 2001, the year that the offense clicked the last half of the season because of Rohan Davey and Josh Reed (you guys remember them, right? :lol: ), Ole Miss beat us in Baton Rouge by hanging 35 points on us. That was in Saban's second season. Sure, we won the SEC, but with a 5-3 league record and an upset of an overhyped Tennessee team. There were many glorious days, but there were also disappointments. In other words, he isn't perfect, nor do his teams perform perfectly.

But, like I said, 8-4 to 10-2 is a real possibility because you have the talent. But, if Shula had gone 8-4, beat Tennessee and got blown out by Auburn and lost to an underdog, would you be happy? Because that could seriously be the scenario you face this season. It wouldn't mean that Saban is a bad coach. It is just a real possibility. Just wondering what the take is in the Alabama Nation.

AlaTiger said:
Plus he was a lucky Iowa hailmary away from having 3 ten win seasons in 5 years.

Um, he was also 3 Alex Serna missed XP's away from losing to Oregon St. LSU barely beat Troy that year. We also had to comeback against Florida and win in the last seconds and we barely beat Ole Miss. Conceivably, we could have been 5-6. We needed a miracle to beat Kentucky in 2002 to win 8 games that year. It goes both ways. In 2001, the year that the offense clicked the last half of the season because of Rohan Davey and Josh Reed (you guys remember them, right? :lol: ), Ole Miss beat us in Baton Rouge by hanging 35 points on us. That was in Saban's second season. Sure, we won the SEC, but with a 5-3 league record and an upset of an overhyped Tennessee team. There were many glorious days, but there were also disappointments. In other words, he isn't perfect, nor do his teams perform perfectly.

But, like I said, 8-4 to 10-2 is a real possibility because you have the talent. But, if Shula had gone 8-4, beat Tennessee and got blown out by Auburn and lost to an underdog, would you be happy? Because that could seriously be the scenario you face this season. It wouldn't mean that Saban is a bad coach. It is just a real possibility. Just wondering what the take is in the Alabama Nation.
Why are we still doing this? We have beat this horse beyond the grave. Shula is GONE!!!! The fact is IF Shula, last year, had gone 8-4 and blown Tennessee out he probably would have still been our coach and we would be happy. The bigger picture is how well we played against lesser opponents like DUKE for one. Comparing the two coaches is absurd. Shula had 4 yrs and progressively got worse. How you can compare Saban's 1st year to Shula's entire carrer at Bama is beyond me. We gave Shula 4 yrs now lets give Saban the same. This team will be way ahead of where shula had it in four years compared to where Saban will have it in 4 yrs...Bank on it.

AlaTiger said:

Let's not play what if? What has happened is in the past. Saban is a hell of a ooach and a huge upgrade over Shula any way you look at it. People would expect Shula to win 6 to 8 this year. I expect Saban to do about the same with a possibility of winning 9 (because he is a better coach). We still have the same players in the system so coaching can only help so much. I will be freakin' ecstatic about 9 wins and very happy with 7 or 8 wins. Like the guys said above me I just want to see us get better throughout the season. I was sick last year because we got worse as the season moved along. Improvement every week will satisfy me.

Of course you will hear grumbling if we go 6-6. Sure, the players have to do the work to win, and a new coaching staff means new schemes and plays and so on......however, these guys have been playing the game for at least 10 years and it is not as though we have no talent on our team. Yes the D will be weaker this year, but the O should be better. No way we should win less than 7 games this year. W. Carolina should not even be close, Vandy is better than they used to be, but give us some credit....I'm sure Arky will be tough this year but they got lucky last year to win, Houston should not give us any trouble, Ole Miss did not get any better this year, State....well you know.....then there is L. Monroe...so no way we should lose any of those 7. The other 5 games will be tough, but I think, if nothing else, we will be playing with more confidence this year. Saban is a great motivator and he has plenty to work with coming into this year. I am as realistic as the next guy, so I don't expect to win the SEC this year, but we should certainly win 7 and get a mid-level bowl.

Man, you guys are touchy. Remember I said that I think that you will win between 8 and 10 because Saban is a MUCH better coach than Shula and you have better talent than the naysayers are giving you credit for. Phil Steele has you as one of the surprise teams in the country and a National Title darkhorse. I asked how you would respond if Shula had done what some of you were predicting Saban would do with going 7-5. I think that there are Alabama fans on here hedging there bets so they won't be disappointed. No need. You will be MUCH better. I just can't believe that there are folks predicting 7-5. Finebaum is messing with everyone's heads for predicting that. If Shula went 7-5 this year, he'd be fired. No way will Saban go 7-5.

This team will be way ahead of where shula had it in four years compared to where Saban will have it in 4 yrs...Bank on it.

I agree completely. Try 2-3 years. My purpose in bringing up 2004 is only that that team was not a dominating team. Saban isn't perfect and he had a lot of close ones against inferior competition. That isn't a knock, it just reinforces that he loses to some he should beat and beats some he should lose to. All in all, though, the program progressively gets better until you find yourself winning championships.

AlaTiger said:
Man, you guys are touchy. Remember I said that I think that you will win between 8 and 10 because Saban is a MUCH better coach than Shula and you have better talent than the naysayers are giving you credit for. Phil Steele has you as one of the surprise teams in the country and a National Title darkhorse. I asked how you would respond if Shula had done what some of you were predicting Saban would do with going 7-5. I think that there are Alabama fans on here hedging there bets so they won't be disappointed. No need. You will be MUCH better. I just can't believe that there are folks predicting 7-5. Finebaum is messing with everyone's heads for predicting that. If Shula went 7-5 this year, he'd be fired. No way will Saban go 7-5...
Agree. I'm still thinking we're underated, under the radar!. We have enough potential and with coach Saban the value is increased. I think we have a real shoot this season, why not?.

RTR

AlaTiger said:
You guys have a lot more talent than you are giving yourselves credit for and 10-2 is altogether likely.

Uh, offense - yep, you're right on.

Defense - lack of experience and zero depth at line and linebacker.

You can't win consistently in the SEC without a strong D. We'll be lacking in that dept. Can our offense save us from a few losses? Hopefully.

We say lack of depth at linebacker, but watching Juwan Simpson getting thrown around last year, I think anything will be an improvement. I really think Rolondo McClain will come in and earn early playing time.

Folks, I think the gist of the question is the following:

What would it take for us to want Saban gone by the end of next season?

Personally, I'm not going to consider wins at all to come to any conclusion. For me, the only thing that gets him fired at this moment is if he brings the NCAA back into our lap OR he committs some kind of felony. That is it.

The reason I will not ponder this question on wins is simple... :arrow: I'm already determining how bad of a coach he must be to be fired when I haven't seen him lead us on one single down.

Why do we contemplate this sooo much? It is very bothersome to me that we have to lay this out before the chips even start falling. Granted, I did give my reasons for letting him go but they have very little to do w/ him coaching in an actual game.

How does this thinking help? I hope those in charge don't think this way but spend their time boosting up the program as a oppossed to wasting energy on stuff like this.

Crimson&WhiteGecko said:
Folks, I think the gist of the question is the following:

What would it take for us to want Saban gone by the end of next season?

Personally, I'm not going to consider wins at all to come to any conclusion. For me, the only thing that gets him fired at this moment is if he brings the NCAA back into our lap OR he committs some kind of felony. That is it.

The reason I will not ponder this question on wins is simple... :arrow: I'm already determining how bad of a coach he must be to be fired when I haven't seen him lead us on one single down.

Why do we contemplate this sooo much? It is very bothersome to me that we have to lay this out before the chips even start falling. Granted, I did give my reasons for letting him go but they have very little to do w/ him coaching in an actual game.

How does this thinking help? I hope those in charge don't think this way but spend their time boosting up the program as a oppossed to wasting energy on stuff like this.

Good post.

Last year we lost to Arkansas because we couldn't kick a short filed goal, and to Mississippi Stae because we were woefully unprepared, but the other regular season losses were to clearly superior opponents (LSU, Florida, Auburn) or to a team probably our equal in talent in their house (UT).

IMO we will be clear dogs against UGA, Auburn and LSU. UT and Arkansas could be tough but they are at home, and we certainly have a good shot at winning. FSU is tough to figure as they have had about as much turmoil as we have, but we can win that one as well.

9-3 would be taking care of busiess. Anything more and Saban will be coach of the year. I personally would not be happy with 7-5 or 6-6, as we fired the last guy because of a record like that.

Back
Top Bottom