| MBB/WBB Will Alabama Basketball Be No. 1 in the Next AP Top 25? - Sports Illustrated

B

Bama News

Who would've thought that the Alabama Crimson Tide would have been atop the polls in mid-January?

Well, it isn't yet — but the Crimson Tide (17-2, 7-0 SEC) does have a chance.

Alabama took care of business in tough circumstances this week. Following the arrest of former player Darius Miles, the Crimson Tide had two SEC road games on deck — and won both by a combined 33 points.

And Alabama also got some help.

No. 1 Houston, which the Crimson Tide beat on Dec. 10, lost to Temple (11-9) on its home floor Saturday afternoon.

No. 2 Kansas lost its second game of the week against No. 14 TCU — just four days after losing to No. 13 Kansas State on Tuesday night.

No. 3 Purdue won all three of its games last week against Michigan State, Minnesota and Maryland. But the Boilermakers struggled mightily in their most recent game against the Terrapins on Sunday afternoon (58-55). It also beat the Spartans by just one point, 64-63.

So, more than likely, it will be Purdue at the top and then Alabama. But if the voters have recency bias, there's a chance the Crimson Tide could see itself at the top of the college basketball world come Monday morning.

Alabama has only been ranked first in the AP Top 25 once, for two weeks during the 2002-03 season (Dec. 13 and 20 polls). A loss at Utah knocked it from No. 1. The Crimson Tide finished 17-12 and unranked.

Adam Cole, who writes for the Auburn News, had Purdue at the top last week followed by Bama then Houston.

Houston had 22 first place votes last week, Alabama one. (Bob Holt, Arkansas.)

You can scroll through and see regional divides.

We have one less loss than Houston, beat them, we deserve the #1 spot in my eyes. You would know better off the top of your head, but if you added up the NET Rankings, our three are probably less than their two. Am I correct there?

We have one less loss than Houston, beat them, we deserve the #1 spot in my eyes. You would know better off the top of your head, but if you added up the NET Rankings, our three are probably less than their two. Am I correct there?
They have a Q3 loss but only one Q1/Q2 (with more wins.) Bama has three Q1/Q2 losses.

I actually hope they give it to Houston that #1 ranking puts a target on your back. If you don't get the top spot it gives you motivation and something to work toward.

Back
Top Bottom