| BSB/SB Wild Pitch Crosses Game-Winner in 5-4 Victory over South Alabama

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball used a bases loaded wild pitch to bring in the game-winning run in the Crimson Tide's 5-4 win over South Alabama on Tuesday evening at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The midweek victory moves UA to 15-11 on the season.

South Alabama took a 2-0 lead after three innings, with Alabama gaining the advantage in the fourth thanks to a four-run frame. The Jaguars added one in the fifth and eighth to tie things up at four apiece headed to the ninth. Alabama was able to keep USA off the board in the top half before rallying for the game-winning run in the home half.

Jim Jarvis began the ninth-inning rally with a leadoff double and moved to third thanks to an infield groundout. South Alabama then intentionally walked both Zane Denton and Owen Diodati to load the bases. Following a strikeout for out No. 2, a wild pitch in the next at-bat got away from the USA catcher to allow Jarvis to come home for the go-ahead run, making it a 5-4 final in favor of the Crimson Tide.

Jake Leger (1-0) was tabbed with the win on Tuesday night. The junior worked a scoreless ninth inning to earn his first win as a member of the Crimson Tide. South Alabama reliever Jackson Boyd (0-1) suffered the loss.

Seven of the nine Alabama starters recorded a hit on Tuesday evening, led by Jarvis' 2-for-4 effort that included a double and one run scored. Bryce Eblin paced the Tide in RBI with three – all coming on his first home run of the season. Eblin finished 1-for-4 and added a run to go with the three RBI.

From Head Coach Brad Bohannon

"I am really glad to get a win tonight over a really good South Alabama team. We haven't been great in midweeks the last few weeks – and I am not sure that we played our best tonight – but I am proud of our guys for doing enough to get a win over a good team. I really thought we could have done better in the first by busting the game open, and we were really frustrated on how that played out, but the guys kept fighting. We put up the four spot in the fourth when Bryce (Eblin) hit the three-run homer, all those runs coming with two outs, so that was awesome to see. I am glad to get a win. We are going to take tomorrow off and get ready for Texas A&M this weekend."

Back
Top Bottom