| NEWS Why Alabama pass rush should look different, better in 2018

• Thread starter Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
  • Start date
M

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

Alabama outside linebackers are back to full strength.

Still among the nation's better pass-rush teams, Alabama got production from different places in 2017.

The Ryan Anderson/Tim Williams Show was supposed to be passed down to the next crop of outside linebackers. That was before Christian Miller and Terrell Lewis went down with serious injuries Week 1.

That led to a more balanced approach to quarterback disruption last season. A few extra blitzes from the secondary led to the 40.0 sacks (13th nationally). Both Miller and Lewis were healthy again for the tail end of the national title run, which had an impact on the playoff. Now, they're 100 percent and in position for the breakout predicted last fall.

After practically every other positional group lost depth, the outside linebackers were almost untouched outside of Anfernee Jennings' injury. The first spring practice Tuesday had a different feel.

"Yeah, that felt funny," Lewis said, "just seeing all the young guys and everybody getting back to the roles where they're comfortable and kinda getting back to learning again instead of being forced to be on the field."

Lewis just laughed when asked what this group can do better in 2018.

"I guess, stay healthy," Lewis said. "We'll be good. We're physical enough and we're an athletic group. We're a long group. We have a lot of stuff. We just have to get the experience on the field -- that game play. I feel like a lot of us didn't get enough time to get a feel for the game."

Lewis had 16 tackles in four games after returning from his elbow injury in the Iron Bowl. Miller made six stops in his four games after recovering from a torn biceps.

"I think we can do a better job on third down," Miller said. "I know in one of our meetings, we talked about our third-down percentages, and I think that's one thing that would help increase pass rush on third down and get off the field."

Lewis had a significant stop on third down in the national title game win over Georgia. With the Bulldogs facing third-and-six, Lewis broke free to sack Jake Fromm. The credit should go to Da'Ron Payne, Lewis said Thursday.

"I just looped around and used my speed," Lewis said. "It was surreal, though. It was a big moment. I thought we would have got them out of field goal range, but it was a big moment. It was fun, though."

Georgia kicker Rodrigo Blankenship booted a 51-yard field goal to give the Bulldogs a lead that lasted two plays.

A few months later, Lewis is encouraged by how many outside linebackers are "really looking forward" to rushing quarterbacks. Their positional coach, Tosh Lupoi, got a promotion to defensive coordinator after Jeremy Pruitt moved on to Tennessee.

Lewis likes the length of players like Raekwon Davis and Miller developing more this spring. At 6-foot-5, 256 pounds, Lewis perhaps fits the lengthy label better than anyone on the roster.

"We'll be straight," Lewis said.

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
Why Alabama pass rush should look different, better in 2018

Back
Top Bottom