| FTBL Who will make the biggest impact in 2006?

Who will make the most impact in 2006?

• Nikita Stover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Ford

• Tremayne Coger

• Other

• Total voters

BamaMac

Verified Member
Which player from the in coming class that has a very good chance at playing time will make the biggest impact on the field for the 2006 season and Why?

It's gotta be Andre. Our O-line NEEDS help and they need it now. Andre will be a starter at least by the time regular SEC action starts, if not by the end of two-a-days.

Are we talking Alabama or Hargrave? :wink: I know that was bad!

It's hard to make an impact when you're not here yet. I hope Mike Ford can put all my uneasiness to rest, but until he is accepted into the U of A I can't feel good about it. :cry:

That said, Andre Smith is the easy answer. Oh, I pray he's not a bust 'cause we need him.

I don't believe anyone is going to best Darby in his senior year. Don't get me wrong, I want Ford to make it to Bama, but I don't see him with enough carries to make a great impact next year.

I think as long as Javier Arenas can field a punt, his natural return abilities will take over. And with a little help from his friends ... watch out!

Andre will be a hoss for us, but think it will take him some time to adjust.

TannerTide said:
I look for Javier Arenas to make a big impact in the return game.

I am sure there will be some serious competition at the return game in spring between Arenas and Coger. I would include Lowe in this list but with the transfer he will have to do the normal sit out a year.

i'm defining "biggest impact" as offering the most game day contribution as early as possible. with this in mind, i selected Coger with Marquis Johnson a close second. i pick Coger because we needed DBs desperately this year. i didn't understand until late in the recruiting season just how suspect our DB backups were. Coger is good and will contribute early at a position that badly needs bodies. also, because of our immense need for a kick returner, he will contribute in this area as well. so he stands to get the earliest playing time at two of our most needy positions, thus giving him the nod as "biggest impact" player.

like somone said earlier Andre Smith will need to adjust like nearly all linemen. he might not begin contributing on the field until midseason. i see him having the potential to be our best recruit, but again, he won't reach his full potential this season.

Stover should be an immediate impact player, but again, the need for his contribution at WR will be slightly less than the need for contributions at DB and KR. we are definitely splitting hairs here.

Ford may be good next year, and he may even be great by the end of his college career. however, like Stover his contribution at RB is less critical than contributions at DB and KR. i agree that it will be difficult for any RB to supplant Darby as starter, especially with an opportunity for Darby to break Alexander's rushing record.

Good post Musso!

Now there are 3 votes for Other, but TannerTide is the only 1 of the 3 that made a post about the player that's not listed that he feels will make the biggest impact.

The other 2 that voted for other, post about who the player is that you like that is not listed.

I think Stover will. Sure, WR was a fairly deep spot as far as bodies go to put in each position, but after Prothro went down we didn't have a true bigtime playmaker. I think Stover can and will be the guy.

Andre is going to be good, but OL is the hardest position to get great production from true freshmen. I doubt if he'll RS, but I doubt we'll see him doing much other than spot duty barring injuries to the starters.

Mike Ford I believe will be a hoss, and will probably wind up being one of the all time Bama greats, but I think it's gonna be hard for him to take much PT from KD. Add JJ, Coffee, and Upchurch to the mix and that's even less PT for Ford as a true frosh. Sometimes experience out ways raw talent. RB is one of those positions. Especially when you rely on the RB to do a little pass protection on occasion. Some of these RB's coming in out of HS (or Prep in Fords case) has never had to block. So think about that. You go from never blocking, to having to block a D1 LB, DE, or blitzing CB or Safety. That's a pretty big adjustment if you ask me.

I believe our defense will really surprise people this year. Based on what I'm hearing there is great competion at just about every position and with some of the incoming class contributing, we are going to better than most think.

The key on offense is being able to control the line of scrimmage and run the football. I believe with help, Darby is going to have a outstanding year. If that takes place, Wilson will not be relied upon to win games and he can do much like Cox at au did last year.

It will be interesting.

musso said:
i'm defining "biggest impact" as offering the most game day contribution as early as possible. with this in mind, i selected Coger with Marquis Johnson a close second. i pick Coger because we needed DBs desperately this year. i didn't understand until late in the recruiting season just how suspect our DB backups were. Coger is good and will contribute early at a position that badly needs bodies. also, because of our immense need for a kick returner, he will contribute in this area as well. so he stands to get the earliest playing time at two of our most needy positions, thus giving him the nod as "biggest impact" player.

like somone said earlier Andre Smith will need to adjust like nearly all linemen. he might not begin contributing on the field until midseason. i see him having the potential to be our best recruit, but again, he won't reach his full potential this season.

Stover should be an immediate impact player, but again, the need for his contribution at WR will be slightly less than the need for contributions at DB and KR. we are definitely splitting hairs here.

Ford may be good next year, and he may even be great by the end of his college career. however, like Stover his contribution at RB is less critical than contributions at DB and KR. i agree that it will be difficult for any RB to supplant Darby as starter, especially with an opportunity for Darby to break Alexander's rushing record.
Ford will get limited time in the back field unless Darby gets hurt. Darby has proven to be a workhorse, plus being a full year removed from injury should lesson the reigns from the coaching staff. I'm gonna shock ya with this prediction but I believe it will be a kicker that will come in and contribute right away....I find it hard to believe that with the recievers we have coming back plus the technique I heard they were stealing from Texas Tech, that they will not pull thier heads out of there fourth point of contact a be a major improvement. Plus with the arm strenght of JPW (which is greatly less than Brodie) the passes will be catchable to them. But i also agree with the DB situation...Looks like COACH knew what he was doing after all in the recruiting situation....

well

at first I thought AS would be the biggest but I feel that Arenas will be the shocker for our kicking game... He will run kicks back on a regualr basis or at least get us the field position to do some good things.. Last year after TP went down I was praying we would send 11 guys and not even try to return the ball, its that bad so if JA can come in and do the things he does he should be the impact player for us...

Back
Top Bottom