| FTBL What SEC head coach do you think said without Bama’s O-line Harris and Jones would be average?

Davestwin

ESPN interviewed unnamed SEC and Big10 assistant and head coaches to get their takes on the game. Here’s what an SEC head coach had to say:

As talented as Ohio State is up front along the defensive line, an SEC head coach said the best part of Alabama's team is its offensive line, although the Crimson Tide did take a hit when senior center Landon Dickerson went down in the SEC championship game with a knee injury.

"The part of their team that nobody talks about enough and the best part of their team overall as a group is the offensive line," the coach said. "Najee Harris is a good player, but he's not [former Alabama running back] Derrick Henry. What he has is five professional offensive linemen in front of him. I think Mac Jones will probably be a first-round pick, but he's also not Joe Burrow. Again, Mac is a really good player who never turns it over. But if that offensive line were average, he would be average."

So, which coach would say such a comment ... Mullens, Kiffin, O?

They preface the article noting that they got coaches to speak because they wouldn't be quoted. I don't know who said it, but a QB can't pass on his back, and most of Najee's best moves occur before contact. We'll never know, thankfully, how either would've done with a less effective line. Mac makes good quick decisions and Najee has good lateral movement, so they'd likely persevere.

I've said it before, but Kenneth Darby remains among our all-time leading rushers, and he did much of it dodging defenders in the backfield as soon as he got the ball. Najee and Henry have moved him from third to fifth all time, but when he played he only trailed Shaun Alexander and Bobby Humphrey.

RTR,

Tim

Back
Top Bottom