| FTBL What is destroying our College Football?

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
What to me that is destroying college football. Is the transport portal.

What is the transport portal?
The transfer portal permits student athletes to place their name in an online database declaring their desire to transfer.
Just look at it so far as the UNLV players to sit out, I hear that and UofSc player is doing the same thing. Then we have the Bama player also going to sit out. I for one can't keep up with all these player transfers to another school. Take QB at Oregon, he played last year at Oklahoma, the year before that he was at USF.

Even the NIL deal not keeping the player, because another college can offer more to the player.

To me, we don't watch college football anymore, we are watching semi-pro game now.

I'm getting off my,
1728662995879.jpeg.

Both of the ones listed above (unrestricted NIL and transfers) to go along with conference realignment, the ever expanding playoffs, and shoddy officiating. But, when I say destroy, I mean in terms of my own personal entertainment. From a $ perspective, which is the gas in the CFB engine, it isn’t really being destroyed. Yet.

And maybe if there’s any silver lining, it’s that the first two problems can be (will be?) fixed to a degree in the coming evolution where players are bound by contractual agreements (though that will open up the potential for other issues which impact the landscape of the sport). Also, officiating can be improved off they are willing to spend the necessary money and take that step. Not sure they’ll ever get to that point though.

Both of the ones listed above (unrestricted NIL and transfers) to go along with conference realignment, the ever expanding playoffs, and shoddy officiating. But, when I say destroy, I mean in terms of my own personal entertainment. From a $ perspective, which is the gas in the CFB engine, it isn’t really being destroyed. Yet.

And maybe if there’s any silver lining, it’s that the first two problems can be (will be?) fixed to a degree in the coming evolution where players are bound by contractual agreements (though that will open up the potential for other issues which impact the landscape of the sport). Also, officiating can be improved off they are willing to spend the necessary money and take that step. Not sure they’ll ever get to that point though.
I'd take the first 2 being fixed for sure-NIL and transfers. Officials being fixed, not in my lifetime. If first 2 aren't addressed, I'll find something else to do on fall Saturdays. I've been enthralled with Bama football for 60 years but CFB is headed off the cliff....

I'd take the first 2 being fixed for sure-NIL and transfers. Officials being fixed, not in my lifetime. If first 2 aren't addressed, I'll find something else to do on fall Saturdays. I've been enthralled with Bama football for 60 years but CFB is headed off the cliff....

I don't think officiating can ever be "fixed" but my hope is that it can at least be improved... via better salary (meaning full time employees), deeper pool of officials to pull from, better training, and a revamped system that rewards (and punishes) officials based on their performance every year. Even the NFL has glaring issues with officiating though, so it's never going to be in the ballpark of fixed. It really needs to start at the HS ranks though... makin it where more young people want to get involved... things are trending worse, not better, as nobody wants to do it anymore (and I can't blame them).

Until rules can be enforced about NIL and transfers, it’s only going to get worse. The NCAA, college AD’s, conferences and the government have to do something soon! A head coach has to recruit incoming freshmen, recruit his current squad and then decide how much they are going to pay for a player to play.

it’s a recipe of problems. Everyone has mentioned some main ingredients, but I agree with Milehigh that TV deals are in there too. It’s a necessary evil, but TV $ is pulling all the strings of college football. And when TV controls it, it’s no longer a sport, its entertainment. Ask nascar. They are further down this road than college football.

Saturday's atrocity against USCe illustrated this new era perfectly. Teams no longer take on the personality of their head coach. It's the complete opposite now. Head coaches take on the personality of their players. Deboer has bought into what his team is selling him. And that is how it is across all of college ball now. When Malachi openly DEFIED him @Vanderbilt, that said it all. The coaches are no longer in charge. Players can hold a coach hostage. "Suspend me? FUUUUCCCKKK YOU!! Portal time!"

Saturday's atrocity against USCe illustrated this new era perfectly. Teams no longer take on the personality of their head coach. It's the complete opposite now. Head coaches take on the personality of their players. Deboer has bought into what his team is selling him. And that is how it is across all of college ball now. When Malachi openly DEFIED him @Vanderbilt, that said it all. The coaches are no longer in charge. Players can hold a coach hostage. "Suspend me? FUUUUCCCKKK YOU!! Portal time!"

What Moore is was bad, but again, at least he wanted to be out there. Not sure some others did. He threw a tantrum, stemming from the performance of the team... we see the same stuff around here in every game thread where Bama doesn't win by 28. And, not being suspended ≠ not being punished. He was reprimanded by DeBoer.

On players refusing to play and such... sure, they can do that. Take Oatis for example. But most anyone that that looks to pick him up is going to reach out and get Bama's side of the story on that. If Oatis ever does somehow make into the NFL Draft realm, those teams will be reaching out for the backstory too. Telling a coach to fuck off just because you can, doesn't make it a very intelligent card to play for one's future. There's very few labels out there worse to be saddled with other than a "quitter".

Any player that quits on a team should be banned until the entire season is in the books, from contact with other teams..…They should only be allowed to complete classes they are enrolled in… Removed from all athletic housing and activities upon the action immediately.. finally they might should receive a bill, if they achieve NIL, from our university, to recover some losses..

Any player that quits on a team should be banned until the entire season is in the books, from contact with other teams..…They should only be allowed to complete classes they are enrolled in… Removed from all athletic housing and activities upon the action immediately.. finally they might should receive a bill, if they achieve NIL, from our university, to recover some losses..

Schools and coaches handle the situations differently... But, in most cases, their scholarship can't be taken away during the season just for refusing to play. They can be removed from the team, blocked from the facility, collective/NIL $ taken away etc... and they usually are (in some situations and under some coaches, they are given access to the things like the weight room on their own time when the team isn't around). But, they can still keep taking classes as long as they don't violate certain rules, and they can keep cashing scholarship checks while doing so.

What to me that is destroying college football. Is the transport portal.

Just look at it so far as the UNLV players to sit out, I hear that and UofSc player is doing the same thing. Then we have the Bama player also going to sit out. I for one can't keep up with all these player transfers to another school. Take QB at Oregon, he played last year at Oklahoma, the year before that he was at USF.

Even the NIL deal not keeping the player, because another college can offer more to the player.

To me, we don't watch college football anymore, we are watching semi-pro game now.

I'm getting off my,
View attachment 29123.
The roster is completely upside down. You can't have a complete team full of "look at me's".

The recruiting pool will only get worse and worse each year.

Back
Top Bottom