| LIFE What do you do if you win the $1 billion Powerball?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Say you are the lone winner... taxes takes a huge chunk obviously, but still more than plenty to have fun with. What do you do, what do you buy? Be interested in seeing some of the replies...

*After taxes, you'd have about $300 million with the lump sum option or roughly double that with the annuity option...

Say you are the lone winner... taxes takes a huge chunk obviously, but still more than plenty to have fun with. What do you do, what do you buy? Be interested in seeing some of the replies...

*After taxes, you'd have about $300 million with the lump sum option or roughly double that with the annuity option...
Pay for @50+yeartidefan tickets so he'd shut the hell up.

First off I'd set up a trust that then takes control of the winnings/ticket that is controlled by me and my Lawyer

Then I'd begin a multi-faceted investment strategy:

$150 million dollars targeting Real Estate Investments, Commercial Real Estate, Land, Livestock and Farms. Should Yield roughly - $8-12m per year - Use this to replenish the higher-risk account and Withdraw

$50 million -Stock Market dividend stocks. Roughly targeting low risk ventures that pay off. - Roughly $8-10 million in Dividends per year payout - Re-invest everything but $1 million and use that for expenditures for the year. Scary enough if I re-invested $8million back per year in 50 years I'd be looking at over $2 billion dollars in this particular column. Which would be generating an annual payout of over $40 million dollars.
Assuming I don't have 50-60 grandchildren then I'd be able to pay them $1m per year just from these alone for the rest of their lives.

$25 million into a higher risk account for stocks/investments/whatever - Replenished by other investments any overages are added to safer investments.

These would all be controlled by a trust fund that I could add beneficiaries to and allow family, children, or friends to draw money from or pull from for investments into a business or their lives. With all the real-estate and low risk stocks I could use the dividends to live-off of for the rest of my life. Also with the real estate money I'd use it to re-invest or replenish accounts as needed, thus creating a behemoth trust fund that just continues to grow.

Last $50 Million
$3.5 million on purchasing personal homes.
Mortgage payoff of what's left on my house
Buy Vacation Homes:
St Augustine Florida - $1 million for a decent beach house
Semi-Isolated Cabin Around the Rockies in Colorado - $1 million
Apartment or Home in Tuscaloosa - $1 million

$6 million -
Charity/Non-profit venture - TBD

Private Gulfstream Jet - $10 million-$15 million

Uncle owns hangars in Birmingham so would just park it in one of those.

Friends and Family Immediate Relief - $19 million

For Passing out to friends and family so they can get immediate relief

$2m per personal lifetime friend x 4
$3m to my Sister and my Wife's Sister = $6m
$3m to my wife's folks
$2m to my folks

$100k spending spree on computers, clothes, games, fun stuff

Leaves me Roughly $6 Million left

Savings: $5 million
Bank Account: $1 million (Withdrawing from Dividends or Real Estate every year to replenish)

First off I'd set up a trust that then takes control of the winnings/ticket that is controlled by me and my Lawyer

Then I'd begin a multi-faceted investment strategy:

$150 million dollars targeting Real Estate Investments, Commercial Real Estate, Land, Livestock and Farms. Should Yield roughly - $8-12m per year - Use this to replenish the higher-risk account and Withdraw

$50 million -Stock Market dividend stocks. Roughly targeting low risk ventures that pay off. - Roughly $8-10 million in Dividends per year payout - Re-invest everything but $1 million and use that for expenditures for the year. Scary enough if I re-invested $8million back per year in 50 years I'd be looking at over $2 billion dollars in this particular column. Which would be generating an annual payout of over $40 million dollars.
Assuming I don't have 50-60 grandchildren then I'd be able to pay them $1m per year just from these alone for the rest of their lives.

$25 million into a higher risk account for stocks/investments/whatever - Replenished by other investments any overages are added to safer investments.

These would all be controlled by a trust fund that I could add beneficiaries to and allow family, children, or friends to draw money from or pull from for investments into a business or their lives. With all the real-estate and low risk stocks I could use the dividends to live-off of for the rest of my life. Also with the real estate money I'd use it to re-invest or replenish accounts as needed, thus creating a behemoth trust fund that just continues to grow.

Last $50 Million
$3.5 million on purchasing personal homes.
Mortgage payoff of what's left on my house
Buy Vacation Homes:
St Augustine Florida - $1 million for a decent beach house
Semi-Isolated Cabin Around the Rockies in Colorado - $1 million
Apartment or Home in Tuscaloosa - $1 million

$6 million -
Charity/Non-profit venture - TBD

Private Gulfstream Jet - $10 million-$15 million

Uncle owns hangars in Birmingham so would just park it in one of those.

Friends and Family Immediate Relief - $19 million

For Passing out to friends and family so they can get immediate relief

$2m per personal lifetime friend x 4
$3m to my Sister and my Wife's Sister = $6m
$3m to my wife's folks
$2m to my folks

$100k spending spree on computers, clothes, games, fun stuff

Leaves me Roughly $6 Million left

Savings: $5 million
Bank Account: $1 million (Withdrawing from Dividends or Real Estate every year to replenish)
You really put some thought in to it

Back
Top Bottom