| FTBL What are your thought?

G

A buddy and I were discussing how a playoff might change the bowl landscape when I had a thought.

I realized that the city of New Orleans will be hosting four bowls this year (e.g. BCS NC, Sugar, New Orleans, and some new one that I have never heard of). Shreveport, Boise, Birmingham, Mobile, El Paso...are all smaller cities that manager to hold bowl games. The point is that bowls are profitable for most cities (see New Orleans) and manageable for the rest.

The question: FINALLY
If we go to a playoff system that takes the Top 8 teams (just to pick a number), is there any reason why we could not allow/encourage/foster the creation of enough bowls to allow every team in the nation to go to a bowl game?

A couple of months back when Birmingham was looking for a sponsor for its bowl, I recall reading an article that stated that the bowl could be sponsored for as little as 250-300K. At the time I laughed in thinking that some rich dude might sponsor it for a year just so he could have his buddy's over to watch the "I have my own bowl and you don't Bowl". Because popajohns.com snatched the sponsorship up so quickly, and has held it, does that not say that a lower tier bowl is a marketable product?

Sure, Ole Miss vs. Temple in the "Visit scenic Wichita Bowl" would not sell many tickets, but would it not be something that is feasible? Teams travel every year to Pay-to-play games for a few hundred thousand dollars. That much money is worth the effort.

Most schools would want it because they get the extra practice time. Lower programs would LOVE it because it negates the advantages that elite schools have with the bowl bonus, extra money, and practice time. Plus it allows every school to be on TV and not have to compete for ratings with the usual suspects.

I think it is feasible. Cities are itching to get into the market. Thinking outside the box, Jacksonville "bought" the Bama/FSU game, Mobile has the Senior Bowl, San Antonio hosts a High School All-Star game, Canton hold the NFL Hall of Fame game, International cities are interested (see Toronto's International Bowl and London's NFL game.)

Sorry for this being so long. But what do you guys think? Am I feeding the football addiction or have I just ODed?

Sweep 21

The bowls could be part of a 21 game playoff system that would match the winners of all major conferences with the followup games at progressively bigger bowls.

Each conference could have a playoff then start the bowl elimination games. A wildcard berth like the pros could help a team that is playing better at the end.

Every school plays a couple of cupcakes during the year. Use those slots to start a playoff system, much like the SEC East and West.

You could call it the Sweep 21 bowl series or sweep 16.

LBS said:
A buddy and I were discussing how a playoff might change the bowl landscape when I had a thought.

I realized that the city of New Orleans will be hosting four bowls this year (e.g. BCS NC, Sugar, New Orleans, and some new one that I have never heard of). Shreveport, Boise, Birmingham, Mobile, El Paso...are all smaller cities that manager to hold bowl games. The point is that bowls are profitable for most cities (see New Orleans) and manageable for the rest.

The question: FINALLY
If we go to a playoff system that takes the Top 8 teams (just to pick a number), is there any reason why we could not allow/encourage/foster the creation of enough bowls to allow every team in the nation to go to a bowl game?

A couple of months back when Birmingham was looking for a sponsor for its bowl, I recall reading an article that stated that the bowl could be sponsored for as little as 250-300K. At the time I laughed in thinking that some rich dude might sponsor it for a year just so he could have his buddy's over to watch the "I have my own bowl and you don't Bowl". Because popajohns.com snatched the sponsorship up so quickly, and has held it, does that not say that a lower tier bowl is a marketable product?

Sure, Ole Miss vs. Temple in the "Visit scenic Wichita Bowl" would not sell many tickets, but would it not be something that is feasible? Teams travel every year to Pay-to-play games for a few hundred thousand dollars. That much money is worth the effort.

Most schools would want it because they get the extra practice time. Lower programs would LOVE it because it negates the advantages that elite schools have with the bowl bonus, extra money, and practice time. Plus it allows every school to be on TV and not have to compete for ratings with the usual suspects.

I think it is feasible. Cities are itching to get into the market. Thinking outside the box, Jacksonville "bought" the Bama/FSU game, Mobile has the Senior Bowl, San Antonio hosts a High School All-Star game, Canton hold the NFL Hall of Fame game, International cities are interested (see Toronto's International Bowl and London's NFL game.)

Sorry for this being so long. But what do you guys think? Am I feeding the football addiction or have I just ODed?

Yes, I think you are attempting to feed an addiction. :lol:

My problem with your suggestion is a lot of the teams that don't deserve to be in bowls are losing money as it is today. You mention 250K to sponser a bowl. That may cover the expenses of hosting it. (a few years ago I saw a cost analysis on how much it runs just to hold one event at the Coliseum in Charlotte and it was over 200K)

But, then you have expenses on getting the team there, hotels, etc. The ACC Championship game will award the conference money b/c of the TV rights and sponserships. BUT, did you see that game? I'd bet the stadium was at 30% capacity.

JMO, too many bowl games now, too many Div. 1 teams now.

Back
Top Bottom