| FOOD Wendy’s planning Uber-style ‘surge pricing’ where burger prices fluctuate based on demand

Wendy’s is preparing to test an “Uber-style” surge-pricing model where the cost of menu items will fluctuate throughout the day based on demand — meaning a Dave’s burger will cost more during the lunch or dinner rush.

The fast-food chain’s unappetizing plans, set to be tested in a high-stakes rollout next year, will squeeze more money out of already inflation-battered Americans who may not have the option to eat their meals during “off-peak” hours.

Wendy’s CEO Kirk Tanner announced the new system on a call with investors, noting the Ohio-based company will invest $20 million on high-tech menu boards that will be able to update prices in real-time without incurring additional overhead costs.

“As we continue to show the benefit of this technology in our company-operated restaurants, franchisee interest in digital menu boards should increase further supporting sales and profit growth across the system,” said Tanner, who rose to the chief role earlier this month.

Tanner didn’t put a ceiling on how much the dynamic pricing model could spike the cost of a meal or whether the base price would actually fall during slower periods.

Buffalo Wild Wings has a $10 double cheeseburger, fries and drink lunch special, without the drink it's regularly $11. Most sports bars will beat the five guys price.

I can't remember the last time I purchased anything at McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's. I do buy breakfast items at Jack's and Bojangles. In terms of overall cost, I did have a grilled chicken sandwich and mac n cheese from Chick-Fil-A, diet lemonade, wife got a salad and a drink, about $21 total.

Buffalo Wild Wings has a $10 double cheeseburger, fries and drink lunch special, without the drink it's regularly $11. Most sports bars will beat the five guys price.

I can't remember the last time I purchased anything at McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's. I do buy breakfast items at Jack's and Bojangles. In terms of overall cost, I did have a grilled chicken sandwich and mac n cheese from Chick-Fil-A, diet lemonade, wife got a salad and a drink, about $21 total.
This is a bit crazy.

There's one right beside a Chick-Fil-A and I don't go to either. The shopping plaza they are in is one of the worst I've ever seen. And, it happens to be located at one of the worst intersections.

Contrast that with my neighbor who happens to be the head barkeep at BWW and rides his moped to work everyday. Now, he did build the moped so there's that caveat.

@It Takes Eleven You ever stopped at Rush's in Columbia?

If any of you guys are going through it's worth the stop. They buy their meat from a local meat market and ground it fresh every day. It's about $7 for their cheeseburger basket.
I've not, may get to Columbia later this year, late spring. Hard for me to not go to Hunter Gatherer Brewing when I'm there. When I used to spent a good bit of time there I really enjoyed the original location on Main Street by the state complex, I think it's still there, really good vibe, good food. The newer location at the old municipal airport is outstanding, restored the old Wright Aviation hanger and they have a decent pizza kitchen there.

1709477254204.png

It wasn't the prices that caught my attention with this ad. It was the memories. I went to high school with girls like that.

This is Susan, Angie, and Leslie from my senior year...literally, could be sisters.

I was listening to two beef farmers in Faux news several days ago.. They said beef stock has never been as low as it is now..They said that because of Uncle Joe, we are around 10 billion pounds low on beef production..times are about to get tough..

Back
Top Bottom